Aflac

Models (People, vehicles, building) Disappearing

Hey guys, I figured if I'm gonna ask for help, I might as well do it here.

Well, it seems that after 20-30 minutes in Freeplay (it did happen once in Campaign as well) the models start to disappear (both my units and ambient, including buildings) and then I can't see anything (obviously) and only a complete restart of the game fixes it.

Thanks in advance.

It doesnt matter if they meet the specs. You could have 4 Core i9cpus and 4 5870 gpus but there useless if they dont have sufficient cooling, but hey I guess you dont want help that bad if you cant provide a dxdiag and logfile when asked. I was trying to help but if you cant be asked to help us help you, there is absolutely nothing we can do. We could guess, but we could drag this thread on for ages with a guessing game before finding a working solution. With the info provided, the most likley culprit sounds like it is an over heating issue.

I would give you my dxgdiag and logfile - but I'm on a Mac. What specs do you want?

Basic Stuff:

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Core: 2

Memory: 2 GB

Graphics card: NVIDIA 9400M

And I never really have had overheating issues.

your on a mac...and? You have to use bootcamp/windows to play em4 anyways don't you? If some how your using emulation, then that's going to be major stress on the cpu. Hints overheating. The logfile is created by the games installer usually so if your playing the game these thigns,logfile and dxdiag should be just as applicapble to you.

The main thing I was looking for in the dxdiag was that your gpu driver is up to date although I still believe its overheating. The fact your using a laptop/macbook makes me even more suspicious of over heating. Laptops don't make good gaming devices. Your best bet is to make sure it is on a hard flat surface when gaming. Also. Not sure but something like rivatuner or speedfan may be of use to.

I assume you mean Vmware when you say emulation? I realize it is more convenient but this leads me to believe even more so it is a heat related issue. VMware in its own right is a resource hog and top that off with Windows..(XP,Vista,7? - Doesnt really matter most likley but never know, if you had furnished a dxdiag like I asked this would be noted in there - another reason a dxdiag would be nice, last time I ask btw) and the fact your running it inside OsX is going to chew through your ram like nothing. You really need 4GB or more if you plan to use emulation, and really I wouldnt build a PC with less then 4 GB these days with the exception of a low end seedbox or something like that.

Yah, the only reason I'm using VMware is because bootcamp won't work.

And I'm running XP SP3 Professional.

I assume it's an overheating issue now because I turned up my fans from 4000rpm to 6000rpm and get about 10 more minutes in freeplay. If I get bootcamp working, I'll get back to you.

Anyways, thanks for all the help.

EDIT: I'm getting an IMac eventually, I'm gonna put in 8 GB of RAM

No problem. Glad it helped. Even on my desktop I use Rivatuner myself because despite good cooling, my video cards stock fan setting, even under load, suck so I like to crank it up to about 70%, not to loud, not to quiet, and then cools much better. Granted the 4890s ran hot. Anyways I would offer to help with bootcamp but never used it. If I understand it is just a fancy walktrhough for partitioning and installing windows. If you feel knowledgeable enough you can get around using bootcamp, and I am sure theres guides on google as well.

I have a guess: !Graphics system: VMware, Inc. Gallium 0.3 on SVGA3D; build: RELEASE;

resulting in a lot of graphic extensions not being available. I don't know how mac or vmware handles those things so is there any way to change those standard Wmware drivers?

Doubt it, but indeed I think your on the right track. After closer look at the logfile I noticed:

|name='Textures\fakeshadow.tga' category='Textures' #ref=2, ptr=0x0cb29d90

|name='Textures\selector.dds' category='Textures' #ref=2, ptr=0x12caf140

|name='FakeShadow' category='Effects' #ref=2, ptr=0x0c5c02c8

|name='FakeShadow2' category='Effects' #ref=1, ptr=0x0e12ea98

|name='Selector' category='Effects' #ref=2, ptr=0x12e5d1e8

|name='Selector2' category='Effects' #ref=1, ptr=0x12d8e6c8

|name='FakeShadow' category='ShaderInstances' #ref=1, ptr=0x04c94148

|name='FakeShadow2' category='ShaderInstances' #ref=1, ptr=0x04c949f8

|name='Selector' category='ShaderInstances' #ref=1, ptr=0x129c4738

|name='Selector2' category='ShaderInstances' #ref=1, ptr=0x129c4fe8

|name='(null)' category='MeshBuffer' #ref=3, ptr=0x1ae8cc38

|name='(null)' category='MeshBuffer' #ref=3, ptr=0x1ae8cd50

!WARNING: 12 resource leaks! (see list above)

Yeah I knew it wasn't designed for gaming, but bootcamp wasn't working, and Crossover Games (one designed specifically for gaming) wasn't running (crash post intro) so I tried VMWare Fusion. Do you think I could go in and delete whatever is overriding the Nvidia Drivers?

Not sure, your best bet is simply to use bootcamp to set up windows. Crossover Games? You mean a game in particular or the utility? I assume you mean the utility, in which case, you have to keep in mind, EM4 is an older game, and even at its release was not the pinnacle of gaming. It wasnt exactly written all that well even given the time frame. It was alot better then EM3, but thats another story. My point is EM4 is very picky so I am not surprised to see it not playing well in an emulated environment. Besides you will get better performance running windows on its own via bootcamp then emulating it. Im amazed that you can even play games reasonably on your macbook with an emulated environment like vmware or crossover games. Not that your specs are bad its just vmware, from experience, is mega hog on the memorey side, factor in windows, and osx running to and im amazed you dont creep to a hault any time you do anything.

Yes, this is a pretty epic dig, but I said I'd give an update, and I will.

So I got an iMac, much, much better specs, but the same problem when I ran the game in VMware Fusion.

I got back into the game, and as I played it more and more in VMWare, it seemed to crash in less and less time.

Well, it got to the point where I'd experience the original problem reported here in ~5-7 minutes.

After some hard work and searching, I set up bootcamp.

I ran the game in Bootcamp, and it runs great. Besides some puzzling sound inconsistencies (like doors on cars/trucks or hoses being attached being much louder than sirens, and even that isn't consistent), I can play the game indefinitely without crashes.

Anyways, I follow the forums pretty regularly now, looking forward to NY Mod.