Foehammer

Adding vehicles

I have found alot of topics on how to add vehicles from scratch, but so far nothing about just changing existing vehicles around. Is it possible to take civilian vehicles already in the mod and make them into police vehicles? Like just for example say take the F350 and make it playable as a police unit. I could add the commands so it has options for siren/lights and such as long as it wouldn't require scripting. If this is even possible would anyone be willing to tell me how to do it?

Another question I have, is it possible to have multiple colors on a police unit, the FBI suv is black, but there is other color tahoes under civilian so would it be possible to make it like a random color when you call the FBI suv so you might get a black one a white one etc. or would you have to make each different colored vehicle have their own seperate stuff and portrait in game to call it.

Reason I ask these questions is I really like to roleplay it out when playing this otherwise it gets boring in a few minutes. I'm trying to teach myself how to retexture and when/if I get that down I would like to teach myself how to remodel, my goal is to slowly change units into what we have here locally, our tahoes have huge brush guards and tons of lights, chargers and crown victorias have the huge full wrap brushguards and what not as well. So I would like to be able to texture and model the units to represent the local agencies in my area city/state/county police. But I would like to still have the unmarked units as well so if I changed the FBI suv to represent say an Oregon State Trooper and the Border Patrol tahoe to represent a Marion County Sheriff, I would still like to have access to the normal FBI suv in game WITH the OSP tahoe and MCSD tahoe. But I am wondering if it is even possible to in effect copy a unit and paste it (not literally) so I have several of it, then go in and edit each to my likes and use them all in game at the same time.

And I just checked, in my government section in editor I have 3 DTS limos which I have never ever been able to use in game, would it be possible to make those playable and basically turn them into other vehicles, in this case more tahoes so that eventually when my skill reaches that level I could edit them. I have several things I do not use in game that could be changed to give me more of certain other units. I believe the EMS suv did just this, it took the ems car and changed it into the BC suburban, slightly retextured though. Any help about my many questions would be greatly appreciated.

I have not tried any of this

I have found alot of topics on how to add vehicles from scratch, but so far nothing about just changing existing vehicles around. Is it possible to take civilian vehicles already in the mod and make them into police vehicles? Like just for example say take the F350 and make it playable as a police unit. I could add the commands so it has options for siren/lights and such as long as it wouldn't require scripting. If this is even possible would anyone be willing to tell me how to do it?

You would copy the model and texture files for the vehicle from the civilian to the police folder and you are basically still adding a new vehicle from there on.To make it easier you could clone an existing prototype from another police vehicle and change the model files, lights, wheels and children but the commands will still be in tact. You would then continue on from thistutorial

Another question I have, is it possible to have multiple colors on a police unit, the FBI suv is black, but there is other color tahoes under civilian so would it be possible to make it like a random color when you call the FBI suv so you might get a black one a white one etc. or would you have to make each different colored vehicle have their own seperate stuff and portrait in game to call it.

Once again, you can copy the FBI suv model and texture files and rename them to something like fbi_tahoe_red.v3o, fbi_tahoe_red.dds or something. You will probably have to do this doors aswell. Reskin your vehicles to whatever colour you want and make sure the model files are going to the right texture. (Open with notepad and you should see it there. Make sure all files have been unlocked in the editor) You can then clone the prototype and add the right colour doors and name the new prototypes to something useful. In the unit.xml file for the FBI suv change change add an alternative prototype for the campaign and freeplay. It should work the same way as it randomly chooses a male or female LAPD officer so have a look at the unit.xml file for them

Thank you, honestly like 95% of what you said makes no sense to me YET lol but I am teaching myself and just wanted to know if it was possible. Thank you again for helping though.

I thought that would probably be the case but once you get to know about how EM4 works that hopefully it should point you in the right direction. I will be creating a submod that uses this principle to have different sirens for different vehicles.

More sirens would be nice..cough rumblers suck cough. And yes it's like chinese what you said but once I start to get a grasp on it I can use it to help me. So far I have only taught myself how to add and edit lights. Changed over most of the emergency vehicles in the game to better suit me since here our ems and fire don't use just red and white they use red white blue amber and our police use the same with no steady burn law. So you cannot find a unit in my game with a steady red light anymore. Nothing here uses light bars like on the LA Sheriffs vehicles, and since I cannot model yet and make them have those super tiny LED lightbars, best I could do for those types of vehicles is just speed up the rotators and add LED style window lights to make them more mordern looking. It's trial and error with me right now, I'm sure I will screw up my game bunches when I start trying to tinker around adding new units but I'll get it down eventually. Like I said I just wanted to know if it was even possible what I wanted to do and now I know it is aswell as been pointed in a direction on how to get it done.