Guest Kaya

Skinning models

Ok,

So I have this problem. I have tried a lot of mods and they are all great, however many of them have been so cotumized that the 'real' game is almost lost. I have seen mods where the vehicle list is more than 20 vehicles for fire vehicles only and then adding all the police, rescue and special vehicles it makes a lot. I like the ordinary game with only the standard vehicles from the game without mods however. I don't like how they look. So I was planning to reskin them and just add them back into the game with new colours. the models are fine and the lights and all that. I dan't make that myself anyway... But my problem is I have no idea how to get the files from the game to a photo program and then back into the game. And especially not if the mod I plan to make should be no different from the normal unmodded game.

so if anyone know how to get a model out of the game so i can paint on it and then back in the game on the spot where it is supposed to be I would be forever grateful.

The only reason why I want to know how to get it back in is because only one vehicle would I like to alter in form. and that is the shape of the ambulance i would prefer it to be the same as Troop carrier (police)

Search the forum for "reskin" with out the quotes. You will find a guide, probably for LA Mod but its the same principal. This is discussed on a weekly basis so sorry I dont explain it in detail.

As for the mods, if you like the featuers but dont like having 15 cop cars and fire trucks to choose from, just edit the freeplaybase.xml file for the mod, or dfreeplay.xml if you have EM4 Deluxe. At the start of the line add <!-- and at the end of the line add -->

So for example, to disable the water tender in the LA Mod:

Find:

<vehicle prototype="mod:Prototypes/Vehicles/02 LA Fire Department/water_tender.e4p" count="2" />

Replace with:

<!--<vehicle prototype="mod:Prototypes/Vehicles/02 LA Fire Department/water_tender.e4p" count="2" />-->

Now if you need to disable multiple vehicles on 3 or 4 lines in a row do this:

<!--<vehicle prototype="mod:Prototypes/Vehicles/09 Government/fbi_command.e4p" count="0" />

<vehicle prototype="mod:Prototypes/Vehicles/05 US Army/hmmwv.e4p" count="0" />

<vehicle prototype="mod:Prototypes/Vehicles/05 US Army/blackhawk.e4p" count="0" />

<vehicle prototype="mod:Prototypes/Vehicles/05 US Army/us_army_truck.e4p" count="0" />-->

That method would allow you to enjoy mods iwth out having 15 cop cars and you could, in the LA Mod for example, cut it down to the LAPD Crown Vic, LAPD Slick Top and technically you have enough police units for freeplay.