koval

Firefighter Career

Hey guys, you can probably tell that I love firefighting or emergency services in general just because I play this game and because I'm posting on these forums, but I've always wanted to become a firefighter. I've already graduated from high school, and have gotten good grades all throughout. Firstly, to begin I don't know where to look to get any training to become a firefighter. I mean, I've google'd and haven't found anything legitimate. So if any of you guys have any sources or schools, or anything, please post it here. (By the way, I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area.) Secondly, I am a type 1 Diabetic. I've read online if you take good care of it and have a doctor sign off saying so, it isn't a problem at all, but I've also read you can't be a Firefighter if you do have type 1. Can anyone please give me some clarification on this? Like I said this has always been a dream, but might not be possible due to the way some things are, so if you guys could give me some hints or any help I'd appreciate it.

You would have to check with individual departments about you diabetes because lots will refuse but I did find a fire dept that had a form for those with type 1 diabetes to fill out to confirm that it is being managed so hopefully there are some in your area that you would be able to join.

http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents/EmergServ/DiabetesType1MedicalForm.pdf

Well theres been atleast one similar topic around here before. I forget the exact contents but at the end of the day, I think it would be best to walk or drive to the nearest station and ask the guys your questions, and seeing as you have a medical condition that could be a problem, it may not hurt to speak to the CO there and get some feedback from him as well. He may be a bit more familiar with the restrictions concerning your condition. I was talking to a real cool FF from one of the county departments here and he asked if I was interested. Well I have to many medical problems holding me back from doing the physical requirements, back problems, knee problems, neck problems, prevent me from meeting the strenuous physical requirements. He said it was possible that I could still help out. More or less by providing basic medical attention at the scene of a fire, and doing other tasks like helping with getting water for FFs and stuff like that. In your case this might be possible with City fire, but here this applies to county fire only.

I had to go to city hall and go to a little room where you got civic job applications, not the firestation itself. I can't say much for your diabetes though as our department does not allow diabetics in, on account for a pretty big mishap in the 70s.

I had to go to city hall and go to a little room where you got civic job applications, not the firestation itself. I can't say much for your diabetes though as our department does not allow diabetics in, on account for a pretty big mishap in the 70s.

Our department takes diabetics. I know, cause the ICM on my crew has IDDM.