erfd

First Model

Guest Francis

I'll give you a little advice. You should create the empty side of the car first. Like only the faces you would see outside. The interior doesn't need to be plain. After that, you should duplicate this half-car and mirror it so it is perfectly symmetric.

Good job for your first, always time to improve. :)

I'll give you a little advice. You should create the empty side of the car first. Like only the faces you would see outside. The interior doesn't need to be plain. After that, you should duplicate this half-car and mirror it so it is perfectly symmetric.

Good job for your first, always time to improve. :)

I tryed to mirror it, but my lines wernt straight, so I just connected them. :)

Guest dionissimus

My first model:

Looks good! Soon you'll be turning those cars out like a pro :cheers:

I'm in a talkative mood this morning : ) A few advices I'd have given myself when I started out (if I could):

- 3D view is useless. Perspective view is invaluable!

- Make sure your background images (front/top/etc.) are all in the same scale (layer them in Photoshop, make them semitransparent and compare. Or, if not using an app that allows layers, count the car dimensions in pixels.

- have hotkeys set for: move, weld, quad select (these are already set) as well as for select single (change it from use tool to select tool in the hotkeys settings) as well as for Create single polygon and Create Strip (not that necessary, but nice to have)

- Try using quads instead of triangles, mostly. Check if you like it better - some people find it easier to think in quads. My models for example, are a mix of both, with quads prevailing. Expand the Polygon option, there is a setting for triangles or quads to be created.

- DO try to have edges coincide with important edges on the model (window edges, head/taillights edges and such), just as Hoppah recommends - due to the nature of DDS textures, this will save you a lot of trouble while texturing. Exception would be phototextured models - there usually isn't much one can do.

- When modeling boxy parts, use Snap To Grid

- Every now and then (re)calculate normals, to keep Persp. view neat and workable.

- You will never see an overturned vehicle, so skip all the bottom polys

- Small details do not have to be welded into the mesh (mirrors/lightbars/etc). Likewise, in a truck, cab, bed and box (the cargo compartment) can be detached pieces (of the same mesh object)

Best of luck :12: Here's what I'm doing now, my fourth car on Z-modeler. Skoda Octavia 2008 (or 9? : p). Going to be a police patrol car. I'll upload/share the model when I'm done : )

Thanks for the tips. The only time I used perspective was for the front and back of the car, and that where my lines weren't even. :P

Guest dionissimus

The only time I used perspective was for the front and back of the car

Perspective rules! : ) Together with restricting move to one of the World axis that is. Try it : )

My next model I'm going to make is 4x4 rover our fire dept has, but my computer is messed up so, it willbe a little while.