JediHutch61

LODD Notification

On Monday, March 29, 2010, Firefighter Paramedic John Moore reported for duty at the Columbus Ohio Division of Fire's Training Center, on Parsons Ave. FF Moore was an instructor at the academy and a 34 year veteran of the dept. He was also my vol. FF card instructor. He was found by a co-worker at approximatly 1000. FF Moore will be laid to rest on Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at approx. 1330. FF Moore suffered a cardiac arrest. He is the first FF/PM to die in the line of duty in the City of Columbus FD in almost 60 years. This came only a few months after the LT of Engine 16 suffered an AMI in a working structure fire, and was saved by members of is own station.

Lt of Engine 16, was revived and released from the hospital a few days later

It always brings a tear to my eye to hear a firefighter has died in duty.

My condolences to his fellow coworkers, friends and family along with the community in which he served, such a sad loss.

But you know, One thing has stuck with me from watching Ladder 49 - It's that we shouldn't mourn the death of somebody, but instead take the time to celebrate their life and acheivements.

Guest dionissimus

Just like my grandfather died : ( He was a civil defense officer (who in those times responded to all emergencies within the compound), the top in charge of a huge military industry complex (think fires and hazmat). Before he took that position, he served as an armored division colonel (yes, tanks, and quite a few campaigns behind the belt, from ww2 and on). Went home for lunch (the facility is only a mile from his house), never came back to the post. Heart attack, the RA was just a little bit too late (well, he was old, there wasn't much chance to begin with).

Those who are on duty, they die on duty. Rest in peace, and thank you for your service.