njboy13

Fire Cadets

Is anybody here a junior firefighter/fire cadet (Whatever your department calls them) If so, what do they do?

I know that you're only 16 so they obviously can't send you into burning buildings, so what do you do when you are out on a call?

There isn't in Fort Erie, but, I'm trying to get it started :P It'll be much like the Calgary Fire Cadets, found here.

:D

well that is a litttle overload there. Most places in the country or small citys. Let cadet ride along on appratus to calls. Having a pager. Once on scene cadets can connect engine to fire hydrant. Then bring tools up to the scene like fans ect. After the durration of the call wrap all the hose. Bassiclly You get to do any outside work. MVA you can retreive tools. Also knowing where I live in the country somtimes its only me and my dad on an engine from one sta. so if we arrived to somthing big rules may be broken. Like I've gone in a building and extinguished small fires like oven fires. Here it is like just volunteering

in my dept. you are vol. firefighter. 16 or older. the 16+17 y/o cant enter a house fire unless it is overhaul, then we can go in. in training we can do everything, tomorrow i am doing the flashover simulator. we are tranied firefighter I and II, i have my hazmat awareness, all the mayday/rit, i have all the classroom portion of EVOC, and im trained in extrication, and most of us are EMT-B so if we are on the medic unit we can do everyhting our training allows.

Okay, I was just wondering what every town did for it. For example:

In my town, cadets are never allowed on the apparatus, ( I don't know why, I'm guessing for insurance reasons), but they do get educated about fire and techniques, and also learn to use the fire hydrant, how to connect a hose to the hydrant, and the also get to participate and department drills, and drills at the academy.

So I guess some towns really get cadets involved, and others [like mine] just educate you about fire, fire department, and some of the basic firefighting knowledge.

i was an ambulance cadet for two years before getting my EMT and running on the truck. durring cadets we got trained up to the Certified First Responder level and we got to ride out on the ambulanceses as observers. we could take vital signs and do some other things our CFR training taught us. it was great. I loved doing it.

here in holland we have quite a lot of departments that train cadets.

although they are not allowed to ride along on the truck and help on scene.

it's just training and every year there are contests all over the country.

and sometimes they also do shows.

you can see some pictures here:

http://www.brandweerkampen.net/jeugdbrw/fotooverzicht.htm