njboy13

Computer doesn't shut down properly

Quick question, my gaming computer is a Gateway laptop that I got, I believe in 2005, I don't know the exact model. It is windows XP Media Center addition, and when I try to shut it off, after clicking "turn off" it just stays on, it doesn't shut off. I've given as long as 15 minutes before just holding the power button. So, that's what I've been doing, just hold the power button until it turns off. Does anybody have some suggestion on how to fix this problem before I take to a repair shop?

Hi.......Sorry, I've always wanted to use the spoiler box, but never had a use for it.
:D

update your computer is it the latest version got windows service pack 3?

No I do not have that, is it just on the Microsoft website or do I have to go out and buy somewhere?

Does it just sit at the desktop, does the shut down screen appear, or does the screen go black?

Once I click Shut Down, it just sits at the desktop

maybe program interfering with shutdown did you close all programs? like close the internet and games and stuff? you can try doing a virus scan maybe you have a virus.

Yes, I close all programs. I did a virus scan, and to my surprise there were no viruses.

You are better off taking it to a shop to get it clean from viruses. Also check if the laptop is in good working order.

2005 Gateway laptop is past it's warranty as a laptop.

Even if you do virus scan... The virus may trick your scanner.

When your computer is shutting down, can you still interact with the system? Try opening task manager and see if a program has crashed. (example: my system sometimes hangs when Steam crashes at shutdown, so I check the process tab to see if steam.exe is still in the list)