Guest Bleek

German to English

Guest Bleek

Hi guys, I know this question has come up a few times but I can't get the exact answer so I'm posting here in hope I didn't miss an older relevant topic!

I purchased the German copy of EM4 Deluxe (ebay, I live in the UK) and installed the LA:Mod but the sound files are still German and half the text is German and/or missing?

When I try and load the LA mod EM4 just 'hangs' and I have to ctrl-alt-del to kill it. Normal play never hangs and works just fine.

Did I do something wrong?

Is there a specific download to convert to English and/or was there an official English language release?

Sorry for the newb questions. :)

Hi guys, I know this question has come up a few times but I can't get the exact answer so I'm posting here in hope I didn't miss an older relevant topic!

I purchased the German copy of EM4 Deluxe (ebay, I live in the UK) and installed the LA:Mod but the sound files are still German and half the text is German and/or missing?

When I try and load the LA mod EM4 just 'hangs' and I have to ctrl-alt-del to kill it. Normal play never hangs and works just fine.

Did I do something wrong?

Is there a specific download to convert to English and/or was there an official English language release?

Sorry for the newb questions. :)

While loading the LA MOD the game is supposed to 'hang'. Depending on your computer specs it can take 2 to 10 minutes before the mod is loaded and you return to the main menu. After that everything will be translated in English.

If you want the game to be in English be default you need to copy the LANG folder from the LA MOD and paste over the LANG folder of EM4 Deluxe. Then confirm the replacement of all files and the game should be in English. BUT FIRST make a back-up copy of the german LANG folder so if something goes wrong you can repair it.

Guest Bleek
While loading the LA MOD the game is supposed to 'hang'. Depending on your computer specs it can take 2 to 10 minutes before the mod is loaded and you return to the main menu. After that everything will be translated in English.

Doh! Ok thanks, I'll wait tonight. My 4GHz quad core should romp through that pretty quick! :D

If you want the game to be in English be default you need to copy the LANG folder from the LA MOD and paste over the LANG folder of EM4 Deluxe. Then confirm the replacement of all files and the game should be in English. BUT FIRST make a back-up copy of the german LANG folder so if something goes wrong you can repair it.

That's actually the method I tried but it didn't work.

I'll let the LA Mod run through and hopefully that'll do the conversion successfully. :)

That's actually the method I tried but it didn't work.

I'll let the LA Mod run through and hopefully that'll do the conversion successfully. :)

I think I know why, I forgot a small step:

when you replaced the language folders go to this folder: Emergency 4\Data\Specs and open the file metatrings.xml with notepad or any other text editor. Now change all the 'de' parts to 'en' and save the file. It should work now.

All the voice files are German, is this correct?

Yes the language files won't change any spoken text. But if you want that changed to you can do the following:

Copy the folder called Audio from the LA MOD into the Emergency 4 folder and press yes when the PC asks you to overwrite the files.

This will not affect the voice of the supervisor (the guy in the green shirt), that will still be in German.

Yes the language files won't change any spoken text. But if you want that changed to you can do the following:

Copy the folder called Audio from the LA MOD into the Emergency 4 folder and press yes when the PC asks you to overwrite the files.

This will not affect the voice of the supervisor (the guy in the green shirt), that will still be in German.

I've just bought EM4 Gold Edition and had problems translating it to English. But thanks to you I can now try this out. One question though, The Supervisor will still speak in german is there anyway to change it so he speaks in english instead? or even better turn him off completely in freeplay so he doesn't appear when there's a even just the scroll text

EDIT:

I followed the above but when I go to change my metastrings to english I can't because I dunno where to add the "en" as there's no "de" when i opened the metastrings up all I have is this below;

<meta>

<file name="lang:infotexts.xml" />

<file name="lang:poi.xml" />

<file name="lang:portraits.xml" />

<file name="lang:fail.xml" />

<file name="lang:ingamehelp.xml" />

<file name="lang:objectives.xml" />

<file name="lang:hints.xml" />

<file name="lang:missiontitles.xml" />

<file name="lang:missiontips.xml" />

<file name="lang:mission.xml" />

<file name="lang:talk.xml" />

<file name="lang:supervobj.xml" />

<file name="lang:supervfail.xml" />

<file name="lang:supervresult.xml" />

<file name="lang:supervtut.xml" />

<file name="lang:tutorial.xml" />

<file name="lang:command.xml" />

<file name="lang:supervobj.xml" />

<file name="lang:credits.xml" />

<file name="lang:supervquest.xml" />

<file name="lang:quest.xml" />

<file name="lang:supervaward.xml" />

<file name="lang:events.xml" />

<file name="lang:supervevents.xml" />

<file name="lang:superveventsobj.xml" />

<file name="lang:mainmenu.xml" />

<file name="lang:gui.xml" />

<file name="lang:score.xml" />

<file name="lang:strings.xml" />

<file name="lang:voices.xml" />

</meta>

I've just bought EM4 Gold Edition and had problems translating it to English. But thanks to you I can now try this out. One question though, The Supervisor will still speak in german is there anyway to change it so he speaks in english instead? or even better turn him off completely in freeplay so he doesn't appear when there's a even just the scroll text

I don't know if the english supervisor video's come with the mod. I'll check when I get home. But if they do then you can paste the'video folder over the video folder from the original game and you should be fine.

EDIT:

I followed the above but when I go to change my metastrings to english I can't because I dunno where to add the "en" as there's no "de" when i opened the metastrings up all I have is this below;

Did you copy the En folder from the mod and pasted it in the language files? If yes just delete the en folder in the games language folder and copy the content of the en folder to the games language folder.

Hey,

I did all that and the game works fine now. I also got the Supervisor to seak in english as a friend has the normal EM4 edition (english) so got a copy of the files and just overwrite them. The only time the Supervisor speaks in german is when there's a deluxe event normal events are shown by the english supervisor.

Thanks for your help :)