Conroy

Atimkdag.sys/Nvlddmkm.sys Crash FIXED!

What is Atimkdag.sys?

Atimkdag.sys is a file which is in connection to your GPU. Without it, you're GPU wouldn't function properly. This error is only occurs with ATI users.

What is Nvlddmkm.sys?

Nvlddmkm.sys is the same as Atimkdag.sys, but it occurs with Nvidia users.

Why does it make my games crash?

When there is an error in your machine (I will explain the errors later on), a Windows Vista feature, Timeout Detection and Recovery, tells the GPU there is something wrong. It then displays a balloon saying, "The display driver [Atimkdag.sys/Nvlddmkm.sys] stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

What errors trigger the 'Timeout Detection and Recovery'?

This is the part which most users find problems with. The primary errors are Hardware and Software, which I'm sure you're all aware of. Now the harder part, the secondary problems:

• Overheating
  • Power supply over load (Too much voltage going into your power supply)
  • Bad over clocking
  • Faulty operating system
  • Incompatible drivers
  • Outdated drivers
  • Unorganised registry
  • Incomplete installation of software
  • Corrupt system files

How do I stop these errors from happening?

If you are experiencing any of the above, try and undo it. Sometimes a full system restore can help. Try using these fixes:

http://www.driverheaven.net/vista-radeon-display-drivers/133188-vista-7-3-display-driver-atikmdag-stopped-responding-error.html

and

http://www.repairyourpcnow.com/resources/atikmdag-has-stopped-responding.php

If you have narrowed your problem into a hardware related crash, you may want to check the temperatures of your components.

If you have done everything listed in this post and you still get the same error message, contact your computers manufacturers support line, or take it to your local computer shop, maybe they could help you.

Thanks for reading,

Take care,

-Conroy.

PS. A sticky wouldn't go a miss. :)