billyfromhill

Computer reccomendations

Guest Panicxz
Well, I'm looking to by me a new desktop computer. Anybody here have any reccomendations on what to look for? I only have two requirements, a quad core processor and a 9800GT or better.

It WILL actually depend on your normal use...

What would you use it for? Gaming? Work? Media (Video..etc) ?

You need to think about all these things and then ask a professional that you trust.

Not anyone can give you the best advice.

I used to work at my dad's pc shop, so if you want you can add me to MSN and I'll be able to help: joseraul27@me.com

AIM: nerotix2792

It WILL actually depend on your normal use...

What would you use it for? Gaming? Work? Media (Video..etc) ?

You need to think about all these things and then ask a professional that you trust.

Not anyone can give you the best advice.

I used to work at my dad's pc shop, so if you want you can add me to MSN and I'll be able to help: joseraul27@me.com

AIM: nerotix2792

Unfortunately, I dont have MSN or AIM. I'm looking at getting either a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 or a Q9400. The Q6600 has a 8MB L2 cache, but the Q9400 has a higher FSB (1333 Mhz vs. 1066 Mhz) and clock speed (2.53 GHz vs. 2.4 GHz), but it has a smaller cache (only 6MB L2). I've heard that the Q6600 is easy to overclock so I'm not too worried about the clock speed. Which CPU would you recommend? Would a high level dual-core offer more bang for my buck? I want to avoid buying AMD at all costs.

I'll be mainly using the computer for school and gaming. The reason I'm thinking about getting a new computer is because I'm sick and tired of my current, slow, old comp lagging in just about everything I do. For example, when I make a video call in Skype, my CPU usage shoots up to 100% and stays there until I restart the computer.

On the video card. I currently use a 8500 GT. I would use it in my new comp but the only problem is that its a PCI card, not PCI express. I definitely want to get an Nvidia card, but I dont have the money to go for their GTX (10 series) line, so I'll have to go with the next best thing, which is a 9800 GT or GTX. What would you recommend?

Guest Panicxz
Unfortunately, I dont have MSN or AIM. I'm looking at getting either a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 or a Q9400. The Q6600 has a 8MB L2 cache, but the Q9400 has a higher FSB (1333 Mhz vs. 1066 Mhz) and clock speed (2.53 GHz vs. 2.4 GHz), but it has a smaller cache (only 6MB L2). I've heard that the Q6600 is easy to overclock so I'm not too worried about the clock speed. Which CPU would you recommend? Would a high level dual-core offer more bang for my buck? I want to avoid buying AMD at all costs.

I'll be mainly using the computer for school and gaming. The reason I'm thinking about getting a new computer is because I'm sick and tired of my current, slow, old comp lagging in just about everything I do. For example, when I make a video call in Skype, my CPU usage shoots up to 100% and stays there until I restart the computer.

On the video card. I currently use a 8500 GT. I would use it in my new comp but the only problem is that its a PCI card, not PCI express. I definitely want to get an Nvidia card, but I dont have the money to go for their GTX (10 series) line, so I'll have to go with the next best thing, which is a 9800 GT or GTX. What would you recommend?

Well, I got the Q9400 and it works like a charm, so I'd recommend you to get that one. If your budget is low, get a Core2Duo, those work amazingly well with games too, believe me. Though I could be getting a new AMD Phenom soon, AMD is way better for gaming as far as I've heard, haven't tested that but who knows. Don't play with your processor overclocking it if you don't know how, believe me, you'll burn it lol, I've been there...*ashamed* :sorrysign:

I've been there too, that's why I upgraded my computer to a quad core with 4gb RAM, it just pissed me off when it frozed.

I don't really know the difference between PCI and PCI EX...I guess they work the same way not sure. I got a 8500 GS, works really well, I had it on my old computer but it had a pentium 4 so my games lagged thanks to the processor but the graphics were amazing.

If you can, do get the GTX card.

How much RAM are you planning to get? Remember, you need to get a mobo compatible with all these things or viceversa, says someone that happened to buy a processor that didn't match the mobo LOL, I had to change the mobo so take the advice from me.

Guest Panicxz

Also,

Something else I like to tell people.

Try to always match all the hardware, for example:

If you get a powerful processor, don't get a crappy video card, it'll be useless and you'd lag your ass off.

If you get lots of ram but your processor is the weakest processor ever, it'll be useless.

Also consider things like the hard drive's RPM's, after all, that's where all the data comes from right? slow RPM's means slow transfer rate, it might sound stupid but trust me, you'll notice it later on.

At the end, all these little things will matter if you want a nice gaming/working computer.

:)

Well, I got the Q9400 and it works like a charm, so I'd recommend you to get that one. If your budget is low, get a Core2Duo, those work amazingly well with games too, believe me. Though I could be getting a new AMD Phenom soon, AMD is way better for gaming as far as I've heard, haven't tested that but who knows. Don't play with your processor overclocking it if you don't know how, believe me, you'll burn it lol, I've been there...*ashamed* :sorrysign:

I've been there too, that's why I upgraded my computer to a quad core with 4gb RAM, it just pissed me off when it frozed.

I don't really know the difference between PCI and PCI EX...I guess they work the same way not sure. I got a 8500 GS, works really well, I had it on my old computer but it had a pentium 4 so my games lagged thanks to the processor but the graphics were amazing.

If you can, do get the GTX card.

How much RAM are you planning to get? Remember, you need to get a mobo compatible with all these things or viceversa, says someone that happened to buy a processor that didn't match the mobo LOL, I had to change the mobo so take the advice from me.

I'm planning to get 4 gb of ram. The reason I want a quad core is because of longevity. When I got my current comp I didn't think of the future. Most games nowadays don't support four cores. 3 or 4 years down the road when they all do, I'll be ready. PCI express is much faster and newer then PCI.

Guest Panicxz
I'm planning to get 4 gb of ram. The reason I want a quad core is because of longevity. When I got my current comp I didn't think of the future. Most games nowadays don't support four cores. 3 or 4 years down the road when they all do, I'll be ready. PCI express is much faster and newer then PCI.

You're right.

I wish you good luck man :)

Also consider things like the hard drive's RPM's, after all, that's where all the data comes from right? slow RPM's means slow transfer rate, it might sound stupid but trust me, you'll notice it later on.

Not quite true, if you have a low rotation speed along with high-density disks could be as good as a low-density, high-rotation speed disks.

So a 2TB disk at 5400rpm could be as good as a 500GB 10000rpm disk.

Building a computer is much, much cheaper. For around $2500 you can build a top of the line system that costs upward of $4500 from Alienware. My budget is $800 dollars. For $800 dollars I'm building a pretty good system.

Core 2 Quad Q9400 (I plan to overclock it from 2.66 GHz to around 3.4-3.6 GHz) - $239.99

ASUS P5Q motherboard - $118.99

Antec 300 case - $64.95

EVGA 9800 GTX+ Superclocked - $164.99 before $20 rebate

4GB of OCZ Reaper RAM - $65.99 before $20 rebate

250 GB HDD - $54.99

SATA DVD burner - $21.99

CPU cooler (needed for overclocking) - $36.99

3 blue LED case fans - $19.47

Assorted adaptor/extender cables - $13.15

Shipping - $15.70

Total - $777.20

You may notice I didn't include an OS. I plan to use windows 7 beta and save the money that would of been spent on Vista and save it for when Windows 7 comes out in the third quarter of this year.

EDIT: Damn that's cheaper then it was yesterday. I might throw in another HDD and run it in RAID 1.