Guest dltforce146

New modder needs help

Guest dltforce146

I am trying to make some cosmetic changes to some of Hoppa's vehicles in order to make them look like trucks from Philly (Personal use. No new mod).

Right now I am just trying to change simple things on the vehicles to get used to how things work

Example:

I want to take the white over red box ambulance and change the white stripe to a yellow stripe. I then want to take the Los Angles writing on the side and change it to Philadelphia Fire Dept. ect. I would also like to change the emblem on the door with a jpg. I have.

Can anyone help me by pointing out which files I need to edit and which program to edit them in.

I'm pretty good at tinkering with things to make them work, but I can't tinker until I know what to tinker with and which program to use.

I love the LA Mod and how detailed it is. I have tons of respect for those who can master this stuff and I hope to slowly pick up the art.

I am trying to make some cosmetic changes to some of Hoppa's vehicles in order to make them look like trucks from Philly (Personal use. No new mod).

Right now I am just trying to change simple things on the vehicles to get used to how things work

Example:

I want to take the white over red box ambulance and change the white stripe to a yellow stripe. I then want to take the Los Angles writing on the side and change it to Philadelphia Fire Dept. ect. I would also like to change the emblem on the door with a jpg. I have.

Can anyone help me by pointing out which files I need to edit and which program to edit them in.

I'm pretty good at tinkering with things to make them work, but I can't tinker until I know what to tinker with and which program to use.

I love the LA Mod and how detailed it is. I have tons of respect for those who can master this stuff and I hope to slowly pick up the art.

The skin is saved as a .dds file in the vehicle folder. You need a program called the DDS converter (downloadable in our download centre) to convert the dds file to a workable format (like .bmp or .jpg). After you have converted the file you can change whatever you want on the skin. Save the file and convert it back to .dds (with the dds converter). Now paste the file in the same location and the skin will have changed.

TIP: you might want to make a backupo copy of the original file before you start, just in case something goes wrong.

greetz,

Guest dltforce146
The skin is saved as a .dds file in the vehicle folder. You need a program called the DDS converter (downloadable in our download centre) to convert the dds file to a workable format (like .bmp or .jpg). After you have converted the file you can change whatever you want on the skin. Save the file and convert it back to .dds (with the dds converter). Now paste the file in the same location and the skin will have changed.

TIP: you might want to make a backup copy of the original file before you start, just in case something goes wrong.

greetz,

Ok here is my new question. I am able to convert the .dds files under the units directory, but they are only the pictures used in the side bar and the lower command bar. When I go into models and try to convert the .dds files in these folders I get an error saying it could not open the files. (I am working with ambulance 1).

Any suggestion?

Ok here is my new question. I am able to convert the .dds files under the units directory, but they are only the pictures used in the side bar and the lower command bar. When I go into models and try to convert the .dds files in these folders I get an error saying it could not open the files. (I am working with ambulance 1).

Any suggestion?

Then you're probably trying to edit Hoppahs skins, am I right? These are locked to prevent anyone from changing and using them. You can unlock them, but you'll have to ask Hoppah how.

greetz,