WildcatsMike

The Problem with Mayberry Reskins

It all comes down to what the moderators and administrators deem to be appropriate for the situation. I am just providing my opinion on it. If they take a different route, then its what it is. If they choose to categorize, thats it as well.

No matter what is done, there will be backlash and there will be a excrement thrown at both sides of the argument.

That's true, no one will be happy with whichever decision is made. Maybe there should be a big vote to see what people think about categorizing mods/submods etc.

but like you said its up to the mods/adamins.

That's true, no one will be happy with whichever decision is made. Maybe there should be a big vote to see what people think about categorizing mods/submods etc.

but like you said its up to the mods/adamins.

While I believe submods and full-blown mods would be great to... segregate? I have no idea how they will be distinguished. I mean, how many new features/models etc. must be implemented in a project in order to categorize it as a "mod" and not a "submod"? In order to move up from "concept" to "mod" category, you must have a playable build, which is a completely fine way of determining the stage of development, but how will it go for "mod" and "submod"? As long as admins/community are able to figure it out, I'm completely on board with the idea.

P.S. Beware, lightheadness:

*raises tactical shield to cover from thrown excrement*

P.P.S."Make mods, not war" - and then, US Army Mod appearead, which made mod?.. war?.. war mod?.. ugh, screw it, gonna go play it a bit more.

While I believe submods and full-blown mods would be great to... segregate? I have no idea how they will be distinguished. I mean, how many new features/models etc. must be implemented in a project in order to categorize it as a "mod" and not a "submod"? In order to move up from "concept" to "mod" category, you must have a playable build, which is a completely fine way of determining the stage of development, but how will it go for "mod" and "submod"? As long as admins/community are able to figure it out, I'm completely on board with the idea.

P.S. Beware, lightheadness:

*raises tactical shield to cover from thrown excrement*

P.P.S."Make mods, not war" - and then, US Army Mod appearead, which made mod?.. war?.. war mod?.. ugh, screw it, gonna go play it a bit more.

This is a good point you make, determining weather something is a mod or submod is going to be difficult. But maybe something along the line will be thought through and maybe implemented to help "segregate" mods.

That's the primary issue with the concept of distinguishing them.  What exactly does it take to constitute an "original" work vs a submod of any one, or multiple modifications?  The category for "original" is easy enough to figure out, it's the kitbashed mods made up of multiple modification's pieces and/or the ones based mostly on other pieces that are much harder to define at which point they become unique vs submod of one or more pre-existing mods.  If it is more than one mod mashed up, which one is the one which gets credit as being the mod that it is a "submod" of?  These types of things are hard to figure out and distinguish in a concise, clear-cut way that everyone can understand and recognize.

There was some blow-back for the concepts addition, but for the most part that went smooth enough mainly because the criteria for moving on up to the mods section was very straightforward.  In this instance there are several bases to cover which is where the problem lies and will certainly ruffle feathers along the way in trying to define the different "tiers" of any specific mods.  It's a tougher one to implement because of the many portions in-between really, I think most would agree a straight reskin of X mod is a sub-mod, but it's the ones that are either mixed components of other mods, or have some changes, at what point do they get separated?  That's the issue I see anyway.