Jeff Flynn

Help for a newbie (actually parent of a newbie)

Hey all. My son loves Emergency 4/911  First Responders. He's only seven but has been obsessed with first responders since he could talk. He's seen every episode of the seventies tv show Emergency, and has toured more firehouses than I can count. He watches a ton of firefighting clips on Youtube and that's how he discovered The Northern Alex's videos for this game, which he loves. My son talked me into downloading the game on Steam, and although at age seven he doesn't play online and he doesn't probably get everything out of it that an adult would, he does surprisingly well. I'm amazed at how well he works the controls. He's talked me into downloading some mods, and he's always bugging me to download more, and here' s where I'm stuck. We've successfully gotten the army mod as well as NYC, LA, Copenhagen, London, and USSR to work. These downloads all gave me a single file that I was able to install with the ModInstaller icon in the game folder.

Other mods haven't worked for us like the Mayberry mod and the Boston mod. My son is SO EXCITED to play these, but I just can't get them to work. These downloads don't give me a single file like the ones that work. They give me a folder for the mod with a bunch of other folders. I finally figured out that I wouldn't install these mods with the ModInstaller. Instead I just placed the file folder with the mod information for the mod in question in the Mods folder. It looked like this worked, but when I look at our available mods, each of these mods shows a green wrench in the mods screen in the game instead of an icon for the mod. Also, when my son says he goes to play these mods, they simply load as the original game. I'm sure we're doing something wrong.

Any ideas? My son truly loves this game and any help is appreciated!

The mods which do not use the modinstaller for the most part are based on the LA mod for their "framework".  Some of those people will not create the icon for their modification, but will simply remove the original LA mod icon only, when this occurs it is pretty normal to see the green wrench (means there is no icon for the mod).  With that part of it out of the way we'll go onto installing these things, when you download the ones which do not use the modinstaller you'll have to manually copy the "root" folder for the mod (should be the mod's name for that folder) into the installdir\mods\ folder where you would find the LA mod and other modinstaller mods at.  If when you open the download these other mods and you open the folder to find many folders like Audio: Lang: Maps: Models: Scripts: etc, then unfortunately that individual that made the mod did not include the root-directory for the mod.  What that means for you is that you will have to manually create a folder for the mod to be put into.  The name isnt important, the game gets the information for the mod from the files included.  Ensure that the mod folder has all these subcats, some may have forgotten to have the "structure" saved in the rar file for the mod, without the structure being in the right places you'd have problems with it not loading the resources.

Hopefully this helps. Goodluck.