Mark Coulthard

Game crashes constantly

We would require your dx diagnosis as well, goto start: run (win key+r win 8) and type in dxdiag, save that file when it compiles to your desktop and attach it here.

Ok thanks, I'll give it a go now

Edit: Nope em4 still seems to crash

The way I know its going to crash is when I load up the intro isn't shown and there is just a white screen in its place (Its audio still plays). I can start playing a game but it will crash after about a minute.

But when the intro does load properly I can play for upwards of an hour until it crashes. The intro loads very, very rarely 

hrmm, do you happen to have codec packs installed on your computer?  That was known in the past to cause problems for some users with this game.  The only other thing you could try to do is to try another ver of directx/vb runtimes... I saw in your dxdiag you're running win8.1 so if it is a "clean" install it might be missing some things it needs to run older games well.

DX that em4 uses well.

http://forum.emergency-planet.com/files/file/613-microsoft-directx/

Visual Basic runtimes are scattered all over the internet, though highly unlikely to be the cause for your problems you're running into..

Most likely culprit is codec packs, perhaps also the version of directx could be at fault.

Codec packs usually are found under the installed programs, things like K-lite codec pack, usually it will say it's providing codecs.. They are most commonly used to permit windows media player the ability to load videos it otherwise cannot load naturally.  I have K-lite installed and it does not interfere with my game, that being said mine is configured for my machine, other people may configure theirs differently and result in issues.  The statement you made about the intro video not showing leads me to believe it's a codec responsible more likely than not.