TACRfan

protests over the cantbreath incedent in the US

Do the police in the US use excessive force.  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do the police in the US use excessive force.

• Yes
    • No
    • sometimes
    • Unsure
    • N/A (if you are from another country)

Well, of course some officers use excessive force some of the time. It all depends on your definition of excessive force.

IMHO, it's not the answers that need changing, but the question: Do the police in the US use excessive force too often? I.E. Are they consistently, repeatedly overreacting to threats, perceived or confirmed, and using force beyond what is necessary to neutralize that threat?

Unfortunately thats the problem with questions, how they are asked can change the outcome of the poll, such is why political polls are all but useless.  

The reality as we all can admit I hope is that sometimes, mostly insufficiently trained officers DO use excessive force when addressing certain situations, generally that tends to happen with "non-compliant subjects" from what I've experienced in my lifetime.  In other instances they are addressing a probable volatile subject and must respond with some measure of force, the question then becomes what is appropriate given the situation.  That is where training is required that is sometimes lacking for departments out there, in some instances it is just that particular officer that is lacking.  Such is why I am not, nor would I ever be a local or state level LEO.  I simply put don't have the patience for people to attempt to reason with someone in spite of the fact that in my judgement it can be an effective tool in dealing with upset individuals.

Most police can and do conduct themselves professionally, but as is always the case the minority can make a very big dent in the reputation of the many, especially if it is perceived to be that the department is condoning the behavior, or covering it up outright.  The perception is largely brought about by the media, but none the less if it is present it can cause serious problems in the integrity of a force.

I might remove the poll soon because I think it has got enough votes but I will give it say a week and see the result then, just so people have chance to change there vote to the new "sometimes" option if they want to