Chris07

Model Problems

My associate created (and subsequently UV Mapped) a building model in 3DS Max and wanted to import it into Emergency 4 so I did the following:

Exported as .3ds from 3DS Max. Imported the .3DS into ZModeler3. Rotated and scaled the model to the appropriate size, reattached the texture file and exported as a v3o.

The problem is when I import the model into ZModeler, it imports mirrored (the right side of the building is on the right and the right side is on the left).
(Model in 3DS Max prior to export) (Model in Zmodeler after importing the .3ds)

At first I figured it was an easy fix, so I use the Mirror tool in Zmodeler and it appeared to fix the issue.
(Result after using the mirror tool)

When I imported the model into game, this was the result.

I did not explicitly UV Map the inside walls of the building...which I believe accounts for the walls being transparent, however, the entire model is inside out. Even if I did UV map the walls, the interior walls would be inside and the outside walls would be inside of the building.

Any ideas on what is going wrong? Suggestions to try?

I have yet to have this issue using this work flow (3DS Max -> ZModeler -> EM4).

Resetting the orientation in Zmodeler should fix your problem, because the pivot is mirrored. I always have the same when exporting something from Zmod1 to Zmod2.

In Object Mode, go to Display -> Local Axes (make sure the setting is set to Orientation) -> then hit 'Reset to parent/world' and click on the model.

That should reset the pivot.

Resetting the orientation in Zmodeler should fix your problem, because the pivot is mirrored. I always have the same when exporting something from Zmod1 to Zmod2.

In Object Mode, go to Display -> Local Axes (make sure the setting is set to Orientation) -> then hit 'Reset to parent/world' and click on the model.

That should reset the pivot.

Unfortunately this did not seem to fix it. Weird.

best is to export to .OBJ format, it fixes this issue most of the time ( for me ), but if that does not work, you can just mirror and flip the model ^^

I ended up exporting as a .obj and it worked great! Even better than exporting as a .3ds. Everything came through properly scaled and aligned.