MedicalByte

Mod Installer Issues and Solutions

Quite a few people seem to have issues with the mod installer, so I'm posting this to (hopefully) help resolve what seem to be the two most common issues.

If you receive the message '911: First Responders is not properly installed. Please reinstall.' when running the mod installer:

Cause: You are most likely missing a registry key.

Solution:

1. Open your favorite plain-text editor (e.g. notepad)
2. Paste the code below into a new file, but substitute the "InstallDir" value with your game root directory if it is different:

If you are running a 32-bit computer:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\sixteen tons entertainment\Emergency 4]"InstallDir"="C:\\Program Files\\sixteen tons entertainment\\Emergency 4"

If you are running a 64-bit computer:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\sixteen tons entertainment\Emergency 4]"InstallDir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\sixteen tons entertainment\\Emergency 4"

(see this link if you don't know which architecture you are running)

3. Save the file as 'Emergency4RegistryKeyFix.reg' (technically you can choose any file name you desire, so long as the extension is '.reg')

4. Locate and double-click the registry file you just saved, and choose yes when asked to add the information to the registry.

Note: Don't change the key value! The key (the line that starts with "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER...") is the part that the mod installer is looking for an exact match of. You should not change the key name, only the "InstallDir" value if you have the game installed in a different directory.

If you receive the message 'The mod package is corrupted' when trying to install a mod, there are three possible causes/solutions:

Solution #1

Cause: The registry key is pointing to the wrong directory.

Solution: Follow the steps for fixing the first issue listed on this guide. If the game is not installed to the same location that the "InstallDir" value points to, then the mod installer will not be able to install the mod.

Solution #2

Cause: The 'Mods' folder doesn't exist.

Solution: Create a folder named 'Mods' (without the quotes) in the game's root directory if it does not already exist.

Solution #3

Cause: Bad file download.

Solution: I don't really tend to like stating the obvious, but it's been an issue for some people. Sometimes a file can become corrupted while downloading due to various reasons. Simply re-download the mod file and try to install it again.

I've fixed my erro problems, this way:

1. make mod directory in Game folder.

2. Run CCleaner, and registry checker.... cleans up registry and clears browser history etc. can download Ccleaner Free... www.filehippo.com

3. then copy mod file from dpwnload folder to mods folder just created.

4. double click on mod... and it worked for me.

Guys, if you are running windows 8, the directory above is incorrect. It installed for me under:

C:\\Program Files (x86)\sixteen tons entertainment\Emergency 4

This worked for me, and I'm pretty sure It should for others using windows 8.

(Correct me if i'm wrong).

You're correct (to an extent). I didn't even know y'all had posted here, hadn't received the email, so sorry about the (massive) delay.

64-bit operating systems will need the directory set as above. I will update my original post to reflect this.

Edit: Had to emphasize the delay.