USman

Tips on making a good skin

So as there are a lot of great skinners out there, maybe you could share some tips and hints on how you make them. For I can make the model just can't get the skins right.

Not a great skinner, but here are some tips from myself:

• When reskinning a vehicle, make the skin image's size 2048. This increases the images size to its maximum size allowing more in-depth and higher quality images.
  • Depending on the program you use(I use Paint.net), You may wish to 'resize' the images of logos and emblems. Resizing them helps keeping them in good quality rather than shrinking or blowing them up using the mouse.
  • When skinning, place the model file in an modification that only has the folders for the models and prototypes. Doing this will keep the loading time in the editor to its minimum for the next step.
  • Keep checking on your work as you go. When you finish a section of the image, or want to see what you have done, keep going back and forth from the editor to see how you work is showing up on the car.
  • Also, look at others work for personal help. Looking and seeing how they did, and how they did it, can further your knowledge in making your own skin.
  • When you want the show perfection, put time into your work(but dont devote your life to reskinning). Some skins can take up to 4-5 hours to work on(between checking on the progress of the vehicle in the editor and changing things around). Keep checking in game to make sure your lines are straight or how you want them. Personally, my longest skinning time was 2 weeks. And that skin came out in amazing quality! Although you must mix that in with life outside the gaming.
  • Look on the internet for objects you that will fit your vehicle your making. Like grills, rims, door handles, lights, etc. If you want more realism, look for those stuff.
  • All the same goes for persons, which are a little harder to paint.

Those are my tips! Hopefully you'll get some more! Good luck!

-Marshall