puppysboy222

Reno Air Races 9/16/11 Crash

Hey guys, thought I'd share this with you.

Today, I got up bright and early at 6:00 AM to go to the Reno Air Races. I was really excited, but was disappointed with the show compared to last year. I just wasn't feeling the action like I did last year.

At approx. 3:15 PM, me and my dad left. We still don't know why, exactly. About an hour later, at 4:15 PM, the "Galloping Ghost" piloted by the 45 year air race veteran Jimmy Leeward, crashed into the box seats. I'd like to say thanks to him, who tried to dive the plane into the ground rather than into the grandstands. 75 people are injured, 25 of them critically injured. 12 are dead, including Mr. Leeward. In it's 46 year hisory, there have been 19 deaths in the Reno event's history. The greatest number of fatalities occurred in 2007, when three pilots were killed in separate accidents, making this the worst crash in the race's history.

Lots of love to the emergency responders and military personnel who are helping - The airport fire department was ready for anything throughout the whole race, checking on the pilots and preparing the crash tender every time a mayday went out.

My heart as well as my family's go out to all those who lost a friend or relative or family member <3

More Information

Extra coverage

Edit:

Pictures of the beast. Very beautiful, highly modified P-51.

I hope to talk to you in that place where pilots go when their job is done, Jimmy. :')