gw01993

Renaming units.

i have searched but cant find anything on this topic.

i have 3 mods and on 2 of them to rename a unit i just replace name in ID_NAME etc in lang [en] infotexts, however in one of them it wont let me, i replace the name but new name wont show, plus it also says in the game ID_NAME_example1, ID_PURPOSE_example1 etc. is there any files or folders i need to edit or havent been placed into the mod to change names?

you have to edit the unit folder also :P

and check for typos in the unit folder AND infotext folder.. very common mistake

thanks for reply i did an edit in the unit folder under "Unit ID" to fire-engine. Now in-game instead of "ID_NAME_example1" it says "ID_NAME_fire-engine" so the unit name has changed the the ID_NAME still remains and i have compared with another mod and the original game and there seems to be no typo. i dont no if there is another folder or file that needs to be edited or added into mods.

thanks for reply i did an edit in the unit folder under "Unit ID" to fire-engine. Now in-game instead of "ID_NAME_example1" it says "ID_NAME_fire-engine" so the unit name has changed the the ID_NAME still remains and i have compared with another mod and the original game and there seems to be no typo. i dont no if there is another folder or file that needs to be edited or added into mods.

Does the infotext look like this?

<string name="ID_NAME_FIRE_ENGINE">Fire Engine 1</string>
<string name="ID_PURPOSE_FIRE_ENGINE">A standard fire engine.</string>
<string name="ID_TOOLTIP_CV_LAPD_ST">Fire Engine 1</string>

Does the infotext look like this?

<string name="ID_NAME_FIRE_ENGINE">Fire Engine 1</string>
<string name="ID_PURPOSE_FIRE_ENGINE">A standard fire engine.</string>
<string name="ID_TOOLTIP_CV_LAPD_ST">Fire Engine 1</string>

it looks like:

<strings>

<string name="ID_NAME_DPL01">Dual Purpose Ladder (New)</string>

<string name="ID_PURPOSE_DPL01">This is the newest version of a Dual-Purpose Pump Ladder (DPL) which is the standard type of firefighting vehicle used by the London Fire Brigade. It is deployed to all emergency calls made to the brigade. The standard London DPL fire engine weighs in at around 11.2 tonnes, and is approximately 7.7m long, 2.3m wide and 3.2m high. They carry 1,365 litres of water, and have a pumping capacity of 3,910 litres per minute.</string>

<string name="ID_TOOLTIP_DPL01">Dual Purpose Ladder (New)</string>

the unit.xml looks like:

<unit id="dpl01">

<campaign>

<missions value="1 2 3 4 13 15 9 8 5 17 12 14 7 19 10 6 18 16 11 20 21 24 25">

<prototype name="mod:Prototypes/Vehicles/London Fire Brigade/dpl01.e4p" />

when i change unit id to "fire engine" i get ID_NAME_fire engine but i still get the ID_NAME. the Dual purpose ladder (new) does not show atall neither does all that ID_PURPOSE info.

do you use notepad2?

It shows when the string is corrupt with colours...

Can't really see what'is wrong...

If it where me I would try the following:

<unit id="dpl01"> change it in to <unit id="DPL01">

Or maybe you could check if the prototype is wrong? Just saying :P

do you use notepad2?

It shows when the string is corrupt with colours...

Can't really see what'is wrong...

If it where me I would try the following:

<unit id="dpl01"> change it in to <unit id="DPL01">

Or maybe you could check if the prototype is wrong? Just saying :P

downloaded notepad 2 yet nothing seems broken in any of them?

i just think theres something missing from the base game that hasn't been exported to the mod folder for this specific mod.

Unit ID has to be changed in several locations, otherwise you will see problems like this:
UNIT.XML

<unit id="ENGINE01">
<campaign>

PORTRAITS.XML

<string name="ID_PORTRAIT_ENGINE01">FDNY Fire Engine 10</string>
INFOTEXTS.XML

<string name="ID_NAME_ENGINE01">FDNY Fire Engine 10</string>
<string name="ID_PURPOSE_ENGINE01">The fire engine is a real multi-purpose vehicle carrying professionals and equipment for fire fighting, rescue tasks and first response missions. The fire engine has four hose connections. Fire fighters can change at this vehicle too.</string>
<string name="ID_TOOLTIP_ENGINE01">FDNY Engine 10</string>

METASTRINGS.XML

Add any documents you've changed, otherwise it won't find them..

gad this sucks... now I have the same problem...

I mailed it to my work pc, change the whole thing and mailed it back... there is nothing wrong with the actual text file...

So I bet this is corrupted to... sooooo this actually really sucks... have to rewrite the whole damn thing...

I am new at this however seen in a few posts recommendations to never change the metastrings.xml. I am confused are you renaming the ID to fire-engine, ENGINE01, or DPL01. Well in any case make sure in the vehicles folder the Unit.xml and in your mods "Specs" folder portraits.xml, in your "Lang" infotexts.xml and portraits.xml reflect the same exact ID.

Just a suggestion However it might be a good idea to elaborate a little more also;

Are you changing an ID on a unit in it's original mod?

Is this a unit that is imported from another mod?

What exactly is not showing up the unit itself in game or the name and description text displayed on the menu in game?

the unit shows up and is fully playable.

what you see is ID_NAME_DPL01, despite a name being placed after it. if you change the DPL01 to House it shows up in game as ID_NAME_House. it does not recognize the bit after eg ID_NAME_DPL01 > Dual purpose ladder . it does in all others mods. when you see the engine name in game it will say Dual purpose ladder.