USman

I survived the Eastern Iowa floods of '10

My home town had flooding that broke records in the history of my town. We had one old mill dam break in a state park, we had a dike break that rerouted the river, and we had a small hydroelectric dam fail and over top. as of now no deaths have been reported. our river at normal stage is 7 to 10 feet, the flooding rose it to a record 25 feet. There was a fair down river so they held water back to save it causing the Delhi dam to fail and washout on the sides. The water then flooded the town with the fair and caused a mass evac of another town. The river will be running nearly at its natural route on wenesday with no dams or dikes to stop it it will fall bellow "normal level" also. Here is a link to some pictures.

The water above the dam is back in its banks, in town we had a shed in the middel of the road from the waters and we had two buildings almost collapsed. Below the dam is still a mess and thank God that no one was killed.

@ jab16 yeah we have some sun comin! It should help dry up both the water and the sadness, The Maquketa vally will be back in no time! :prop:

Well thats good about the flooding and weired about the tornado, although we had the Parkersberg tornado, EF-5 around a mile wide, pass just north of my house last year I think it was? The Mid west is a nice place to live eh lol!

That they do, but sometimes you can pull a little good out of them, like now the Delhi dam is being converted back to hydroelectric power production. That and now I can Kayak almost non stop from backbone state park to moticello with only one portage! Thats just looking for the sunshine at the end of a tunnel. Our town is recoving really well considering RAGBRI comes through friday!