14 members have voted

1. 1. Should I join?

• Yes
    • No
    • Wait and think about it
  2. 2. Should I contact...

• Now
    • Later
    • Never (goes with no on first question)

Okay so I found out over this past weekend that I can "join" my local FD at 16! They will pay for EMT training, Paramedic training, and Fire Fighter training. I would then have to work on the dept for at least two years which I would love! Here is my problem... I have gone head over heels for many occupations and later decieded I didn't want to do them. I am afraid this is just another dream and it will burst like all the others. Right now I don't want anything but to join, but over the long run is what scares me. I really hope this is diffrent I have 7 months until i'm 16 so I will have until then to decide but should I contact or FD now or then, or wait and think about it?

Contact the FD in your region, try to get more information about it.

Explain the situation to them, ask about the stuff they do, the good things, but also the bad things.

Visit the FD in your region.

then stop and think about it,

Is this what i want?

Is the bad part of the job worth it against the good parts?

Can i handle the bad parts?

and so on, and so on.

then make up your mind about joining or not.

I say go for it. Now department training regulations are going to differ of course. Here, I think FF and First Responder(step below EMT-B level) training are required, but not EMT or PM training. Point is, look in to it and see if you would be required to do FF,EMT,and PM training. If only the FF training is required, training will obviously take less time then FF and EMT Training. Get the bare minimum training to get on the job and get to work. Start on your two year journey and by the time it is over you will be 18-19. If you have decided you dont like it, you still have your whole life ahead of you to pursue college or another career.

Both good advice I think I will probably go with explorer on this one for the fact of at worst it would be two years of weekend calls.

Thanks again, still open for advice, USman :prop:

Edit: I am now a FF explorer