USman

Scripter in training... Help!

It is summer and time to learn a new skill... scripting :help:! I am going to experiment on Hoppah's LA mod. First off what is a good script editing, writing program that is free? or can it just be done in like notebook? As I work and experiment I plan to post problems and hope for solutions. I want to thank all of those who help and offer tips now. And with that I shall begin. Thanks again :prop:

Thanks, USman

I suggest Notepad2 which is a light-weight and faster version of Notepad++. Get Notepad2 here.

Thanks alot step one complete! :holdglass:. Okay now i went in and tried to change LAfirestationstart.script and i think I got but an error message popped up and said save denied. Are Hoppah's script files locked too?I geet a message like this

Error saving access denied so?

Thanks alot step one complete! :holdglass:. Okay now i went in and tried to change LAfirestationstart.script and i think I got but an error message popped up and said save denied. Are Hoppah's script files locked too?

Hoppah's files are not locked u can edit it as many time u want.

Guest Francis

If you are on Vista or on Windows 7, you may need to the set the access to your account so you can actually save them. Make sure no other program uses the files too.

If you are on Vista or on Windows 7, you may need to the set the access to your account so you can actually save them. Make sure no other program uses the files too.

Yup that is what I had to do. I found it on another topic but thanks anyway!

Thanks alot step one complete! :holdglass:. Okay now i went in and tried to change LAfirestationstart.script and i think I got but an error message popped up and said save denied. Are Hoppah's script files locked too?I geet a message like this

Error saving access denied so?

I would suggest disabling UAC. USer Account Control is so annoying.

And im with Francis in regards to using Notepad2. I been using this for years now as my former favorite program, crimson editor, was no longer being updated.However theres nothing out there that will trully write a script for you. Theres a mission script generator around here some where, but it only does very basic missions, and I have a feeling even then, your going to end up editing the script on your own to some extent to get it working.

Guest Francis

Using script generators is a really bad practice. Of course it can be a good start if you don't know how to start your mission script and have no other script to take a look at, but you'll definitely end up editing it yourself.

I have seen the topic with the mission script generator and just figured it would be easier to learn through experimenting, thanks to explore4x4 I have begun. I am working on the LA mod "replace a vehicle at a station." It's going okay everything works other then when it is called by the BC, so still working on that. I eventually want to put in limited water supply in the game, but have a ways to go.

Thanks again, USman :prop:

EDIT: BC can now call my HES

EDIT 2: Attempting to allow police to call in BC

EDIT 3: HELP, I get an error message while loading the editor saying Limitation statement too long and sends me to line 71 whick contains GameObjectList SelectPer = Game::GetSelectedGameObjects(); solved

Okay so this has been a slow and stressful start. I have abandoned the EMS calling BC script for now. I am going to try really hard to work at the SWAT shooting MP5 like a pistol. The Idea was given to me by Dyson, hope I can get it working, I hope for help when I need it!

Thanks, USman :prop:

Line 60 to line 79:

SetSelfClickActivation(true);
SetHighlightingEnabled(false);
SetGroupID(CGROUP_GETEQUIPMENT);
SetGroupLeader(true);
}

bool CheckPossible(GameObject *Caller)
{
GameObjectList SelectPer = Game::GetSelectedGameObjects();
if (SelectPer.GetNumObjects() != 1)
return false;
Person p.(Caller);
if(p.IsValid() && (p.IsLinkedWithPerson() || p.IsCarryingPerson() || p.IsEquipped() || p.IsPulling() || p.GetFirehoseID()!=0 || p.GetEnteredCarID() != -1))
return false;

if (p.IsCurrentAction("EActionTreatPerson"))
return false;

if (!Caller->IsValid() || Caller->GetType() != ACTOR_PERSON)
return false;

Could someone tell me how to put in spoiler tags?

Edited by Lithium
added spoiler and code

Okay so I can change vehicles around no problem now! I am still working on the other two scripts but feel I made a large jump. So I am asking what would the step up from moving around vehicles be?

It really depends on what you want to add to the mod. You could do something like using the lafirestation.script to create a police station control panel. I planed to do this ages ago but just never bothered. You could try adding another FS, but thats pretty tricky.

Thats a good idea i like i will give it a whirl, also i am going to play around with VOs and see if i can get an outside station for USFS.

Well I decieded to add a military base, I would like to have the army general submod, but I also want the additional units so I am waiting on a comment by soulbody to see what I need to change to make them compatible

Well basically you need to open the xml files in lang and specs from the mod and the submod, and compare them using somehting like windiff(i prefer araxis merge personally) and simply add the missing lines to the XMLs inside the mods folder. Other then that, off the top of my head, the rest is drag and drop.

okay I can do that! I think. lol, The base looks neat just need to write the script now!

Happy 4th! USman :prop: