USman

Dutch lessons?

Hello to all who read this! I have been looking through the forum and have spotted random spurts of dutch. With this I was wondering if maybe I could have someone help me with learning to read dutch? :prop: Thanks for any help USman :cool:

Hello to all who read this! I have been looking through the forum and have spotted random spurts of dutch. With this I was wondering if maybe I could have someone help me with learning to read dutch? :prop: Thanks for any help USman :cool:

Of course there's a lot of Dutch; the forum's creators are Dutch :P

Dutch isn't too hard to read; I can understand most of it even though I have no experience with learning any of it for the reason that Dutch is basically a very strange combination of German and English lol, so if you know either of those it shouldn't be too hard to understand or at least understand in context the message. While I can't speak or write Dutch for the life of me; when spoken it sounds a bit like a bear choking on a fish while throwing up (no offense lol) about half the words I've seen are more like English, half are more like German, and half are more or less random letters together, especially J's (again no offense, not trying to be realistic).

For example, the word "cookies" in Dutch is "koekjes" so it's more like English. An example of German-like words is "Drukkerij" which in German is "Drückerrei" and basically means a place of printing (I'm tired right now so I can't think of the word lol).

But the Dutch are pretty awesome; they invented modern prostitution :P (and it's legal), they invented the chocolate bar, they have good beer, they're really friendly, and only they would be cheeky enough to give themselves last names like Piest (which means pisses) after Napoleon forced them to take surnames after he conquered them.

Dutch isn't too hard to read; I can understand most of it even though I have no experience with learning any of it for the reason that Dutch is basically a very strange combination of German and English lol, so if you know either of those it shouldn't be too hard to understand or at least understand in context the message. While I can't speak or write Dutch for the life of me; when spoken it sounds a bit like a bear choking on a fish while throwing up (no offense lol) about half the words I've seen are more like English, half are more like German, and half are more or less random letters together, especially J's (again no offense, not trying to be realistic).

For example, the word "cookies" in Dutch is "koekjes" so it's more like English. An example of German-like words is "Drukkerij" which in German is "Drückerrei" and basically means a place of printing (I'm tired right now so I can't think of the word lol).

But the Dutch are pretty awesome; they invented modern prostitution :P (and it's legal), they invented the chocolate bar, they have good beer, they're really friendly, and only they would be cheeky enough to give themselves last names like Piest (which means pisses) after Napoleon forced them to take surnames after he conquered them.

all right lol and I did know that most if not all moderators were from The Netherlands. I can sometimes regonize english parts but the german parts slip away but o well. To bad it can't be english and french :blush:

You forgot that we've got a lot of French words too. :1046276128_motz:

But a non-official language we've got here: Tilburgs or Fries. Those are really hard to understand. Even I can't understand most of it.

(Tilburgs is spoken in the city of Tilburg. Ofcourse we speak normal dutch too...) Fries is spoken in the province of Friesland.

But basically, learning dutch is very hard. It's the most difficult language in the whole word.... (Yes it really is.)

That's because of the grammar and all that...

We've got a lot of rules in our language.

So if you want to read dutch. (or just understand a bit of it)

Buy a dictionary. (EN-NL)

A few more words:

Voetbal = Football, Soccer.

Bier = Beer.

It's the most difficult language in the whole word.... (Yes it really is.)

Ever tried learning Latin? Well, I guess spoken it sounds a lot like Dutch lol.

Methinks British is the hardest language to learn. I don't mean English, I mean British. As in trying to understand what they say half the time lol.