Guest Panicxz

Q Siren in NYC

Guest Panicxz

I don't remember who told me that the Q was illegal in New york city. Honestly I've never seen a rig with one in nyc before. I've heard it but it must've been a EQ2B I guess.

So...does anyone know for sure if this is true?

Edited by Panicxz

Guest Francis

It's totally true. The mechanical Q siren is forbidden by the law in New York city. It has been forbidden because of the loud noise it caused by going from buildings to buildings. It used to echo sick stuff instead of a siren. The electrical Q is allowed because it was meant not to do that, so that's what they use. It basically sounds the same, if you don't know the difference really. :)

It's not illegal to have Q sirens in NYC, it's just against FDNY SOP to use them in areas with high rise building due to the echo effect. The FDNY doesn't put them on the rigs when they order them new, but any company can order one and install it on the rig as long as it doesn't go against SOPS, I.E. the old engine 40

SFD here just got a new quint. Has Q, but I don't know if it's EQ2B or not. :nixweiss: Cool rig though! Check out the Pierce website and you'll find it under "New Deliveries". :cool:

The EQ2B is an electronic version of the Q so you wouldn't see a Q anywhere on the truck. That Quit definitely has a regular Q.