emergencyuk1

Crash to desktop [RESOLVED]

Hi There,

Game was working for a few days after installation then earlier this evening, neither the game or the editor would start, crashing to desktop. The error log is below. I've tried reinstalling a few times, even on a different drive, but the error is always the same. Tried downloading a new file from direct2drive and that didn't work either, and today installed the emergency 3 demo and that had the same problem so I guess we can conclude it's a problem with my setup, as opposed to the installation itself (if that makes sense?).

Today reinstalled the most up to date K-Lite Codec pack and updated Direct X as well as checking my video and audio drivers with no luck. Having done some reading around now, I would guess that the game's just incompatible with my computer, if I hadn't had it working before it broke...

Thanks for any help.

logfile.txt

Hi There,

Game was working for a few days after installation then earlier this evening, neither the game or the editor would start, crashing to desktop. The error log is below. I've tried reinstalling a few times, even on a different drive, but the error is always the same. Would appreciate it if maybe someone could PM me their allyouneed.vfn file so I could try replacing it to see if that works?

Thanks for any help.

Log: Attached

Am currently downloading a new installation file from direct2drive having cleaned out the registry etc. using ccleaner - will let you know if it works but I'm not holding out much hope! :1046276372_bawling:

EDIT: As suspected, no luck there unfortunately. Exactly the same problem as last time. Any suggestions?

Here's the dxdiag file as well.

DxDiag.txt

Hi Again,

Still trying for a solution, I've installed the em3 demo onto my computer. When I try to run it, I get the sound in the background of the starting video but there's nothing visual. Also, when the intro "video" comes to an end, the game crashes and I get the following message:

*** Win32ExceptionHandler *** Exception in Em3: Access violation @ 00583b9d

I'll attach the logfile from the DEMO this time.

Thanks.

logfile.txt

Hi Again,

Still trying for a solution, I've installed the em3 demo onto my computer. When I try to run it, I get the sound in the background of the starting video but there's nothing visual. Also, when the intro "video" comes to an end, the game crashes and I get the following message:

*** Win32ExceptionHandler *** Exception in Em3: Access violation @ 00583b9d

I'll attach the logfile from the DEMO this time.

Thanks.

Do you mind using the edit button in stead of double posting all the time?

You have both a screen mode error and a codec error. Try setting the screen mode values in the configuration file on the default values or on the values you are currently using on your computer. Also delete all broken or un-used codecs. For more information see the Technical Help FAQ in the FAQ section.

Do you mind using the edit button in stead of double posting all the time?

You have both a screen mode error and a codec error. Try setting the screen mode values in the configuration file on the default values or on the values you are currently using on your computer. Also delete all broken or un-used codecs. For more information see the Technical Help FAQ in the FAQ section.

OK, cheers, by screen mode values do you mean changing to the resolution I'm using e.g. "x_val" and "y_val"? Have tried at a range of values including the one mine should be but no luck :(

Sorry about the double posting, tried to put it all in the first message once I realised how many posts I'd made but then couldn't delete. Won't happen again.

Update: Have tried removing all but the original and essential windows codecs with no luck as well as changing the screen values settings through a whole range of them. Is there anything else that might be wrong, or is it just going to be a case of continuing to disable codecs until I find what's causing the trouble? Also, is there any other cause for the screen mode error, as I'm fairly sure that my values in the cfg file are right?

Also, ran windows event viewer on the computer and it identified the following fault, not sure if it's useful or not:

Faulting application Em3.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x43d0f329, faulting module VISION71.DLL, version 4.1.37.0, time stamp 0x420091dd, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000ac360, process id 0xd9c, application start time 0x01caa4510251686a.

I assume this means it's a problem with VISION71.DLL?

Update Two: OK, so I downgraded the drivers on my graphics card to older ones and the game started up (in safe mode, haven't yet tried in normal) however it's behaving very strangely - starting a tutorial mission and there's no way I can do anything (mouse does not work, keyboard does not do anything). I'll upload the log file, try to start it in normal mode and then re-update my graphics drivers to see if that works for you. Just thought I'd update at this stage in case anyone has a similar problem in future, however, if anyone could see what's going wrong at this stage I'd appreciate a heads up :) Cheers.

FINAL UPDATE (I hope): OK, so re-updated my chipset drivers and... it works! :) I'm guessing maybe something had corrupted somewhere in the graphics card software maybe? (but I don't really understand these things!!) Anyway, thanks to everyone who had a look at this. Have now made a system restore point immediately after em3 was working so hopefully if it goes wrong again will just be a case of knocking it back to there. If anyone needs any help with a similar issue, I suggest you do the same as I did and I hope you get your game up and running again soon - a very frustrating error!!

EMUK1

logfile.txt