William Stapleford

Attempting to create a new vehicle using an existing EM5 vehicle

Ok so since i don't own a 3d cad software and since i can't get anything done with texturing.  I have decided to try something that should be easy.  I decided to create a new unmarked SUV using the same model and body as the civil prefab of the tech suv.  

I created a new project and then found the model in the vehicle prefab list.  I added it to my map and then changed several properties.  I changed it to a uservehicle and added the command array from the police car.  I added a silly little red rotating alarm light to the top.  Attached it using the link to "lights".  Then saved the prefab as police_suv.

I then went in search of the many files I have found are needed to add vehicles to this game.

I went and change the properties on the 

\data\em5\content\prefab\spawnpoint\  I added the "SUV" to the file under the police portion of the spawnpoint.

I also added "SUV" in the exit point for the ground vehicles

I changed the order_info file

I change the unit_info file

they now should have the "SUV" added to the file

===================================================the order info file ======================================================================================================

"Format":
{
"Type": "em5_order_info",
"Version": "1"
},
"OrderInfo":
{
//  police suv
"SUV":
{
"Prefab": "em5/prefab/vehicle/police_suv",
"AvatarIcon": "police_stw",
"SelectionIcon": "unit_suv",
"MiniMapIconType": "PoliceVehicle",
"LocalizedName": "ID_NAME_SUV",
"UnitTags": "Police Vehicle Road STW",
"OrderDepartment": "PoliceDepartment",
"OrderCost": "10",
"OrderSpeed": "10",
"UnlockCost": "0",
"NumberAvailable": "5",
"PersonnelSpace": "5",
"StartPersonnel":
{
"Policeman" : "2"
},
"PassengerSpace": "2",
"HelpPages":
[
"TUTORIAL_HELPTEXT_BACK_TO_HQ_STW",
"TUTORIAL_HELPTEXT_EXIT_STW"
]
}
}
}=================================================================================================================================================================
If im correct this line here
"LocalizedName": "ID_NAME_SUV",
determines the shortened name of the vehicle for other files.  In my case it's SUV
"SelectionIcon": "unit_suv"
this is a small .dds file that is used to select the vehicle in the dropdown list.  For me its a simple text message saying "TEST"  This does not even show up as of now

I also changed the file for the unit_pool "startup"
This file is where the vehicles for each mission and the amount of vehicles available are set.
I added "SUv" to the freeplay munich mission and then attempted to load the mod and the game.

The results nothing at all.  I don't even see the choice to use the vehicle on the drop down selection menu.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong if anyone wants to chime in feel free.  I'm very frustrated and lost.

I understand now what files have to be used to get a vehicle into the game but i have yet to have any success.

William516
Bill
Delaware, USA

FINALLY !!!!!

Ok it was because my .json files were corrupted and always opening via wordpad.  File association was messed up.  I cleared it up and have my first ever success story, still not done yet but first time I have seen one of my test work. lol

below are the results

2015_09_14_00001.jpg

ok the "MISSING" symbol in the corner is where the user interface would go.  I have to figure out where this file is by examining some other stuff.

2015_09_14_00003.jpg

Still have to fix the doors and the interface add the proper equipment etc.  This does prove my concept and get some understanding of all that is needed file wise to get a vehicle into the game and choose who owns it.

William516

Bill

Delaware,USA

Yeah I will be putting together a general tutorial of how to get this to work. I cant post the files because they are unlocked em5 master files lol. You can still change the main core files of the game but after patch 1.4.1 you dont have to. I figured out what to do to keep the original files intact.

This tutorial will NOT include anything on 3d or textures though but if you have a model and want it in the game I now know what files are needed to see and dispatch the vehicle and what not to do to keep the game from crashing lol.

There are alot more files then I thought and ALL of them must work together or the vehicle will not show up. Im still trying to find out where the hud display is for the vehicle layout and how many spots are taken. That graphic that is always shown at the bottom right of the screen. Looking at the standard default files still has yet to show me where this graphic is at. It may be a .RML file and i have no clue how to open it.

No luck with getting a siren to work correctly either as of right now.

The current vehicle has

4 police seats

2 passenger seats

And full equipment including handgun and rifle

Still working on an interface but it feels nice to see it do something I actually told it to do now.

As of now this is just a test vehicle for proof of concept and understanding. Still no words from the developers on any questions I had.

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

Ino the threaad ist old.

But i have to say that this is really great stuff. Do you have a clue right now which is the missing file?

I'd guess,

local/gui/assests/avatar/your_file_name

but you should look in the log files, - they ll tell you (because they always say which files the game is expecting)

C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Promotion Software GmbH\EMERGENCY 5\log

Haven't had much time to mess with all the files since the latest update.  I also got shipped over seas and don't have a great amount of time or a great connection.  When I do get down time I am usually writing to my family at home and playing the game when possible.  However I have gotten bored again with the gameplay and have been messing with the files.  I have to be very careful not to delete key files because if I do I cant use steam to get the files revalidated as I did before.  

I have been working on getting my lighting files working again with 2016 and also some of the gameplay mods I had been working on to include the one you wrote about above.  It is nice to see some people taking interest in the game again and hopefully you are all smarter then me and can make sense out of the file system and structure.  Also hopefully they won't update the game again messing everyone's work again.  By the looks of it you guys have figured out far more then I did.  Keep up the great work.  I can try and offer help with things I have learned if you're interested.  I could also use some help as well.

Have a great day.

Bill

William516

Delaware, USA

Haven't had much time to mess with all the files since the latest update.  I also got shipped over seas and don't have a great amount of time or a great connection.  When I do get down time I am usually writing to my family at home and playing the game when possible.  However I have gotten bored again with the gameplay and have been messing with the files.  I have to be very careful not to delete key files because if I do I cant use steam to get the files revalidated as I did before.  

No problem, i can understand your situation. Your work just impressed me very much.

Tip 1: in the editor->Press F11 (asset browser)->Create a new mod/project->move your content there <-> this can save your orginal files. Still be carefull

Tip 2: Have a look at the "NL Modification Fixer". The asset_packet.json might be able to help you aswell (readability of your content from version 1.4). It turns your folder into a not managed version (you have to get rid of the asset_package.bin which is in version 1.4 and seems to be incompatible with patch 2.0.2).

Pros:

-it works very good

-you dont need to add files to your mod folder with the editor. You can use the Windows explorer to move files

Cons:

-No editor support for Unmanaged Folders (this is what the file does). So you cannot see your filestructur in the editor.

-could imagine that it makes it harder to edit bluelights etc because of less editor support

Tip 3: If there are still problems check the .log files

C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Promotion Software GmbH\EMERGENCY 5\log

The game has a very good logging. It always tells you what it is expecting (most times last 10 lines) ;). If your mod runs fine you get a logfile size of ~30 kB. If you gave your units a command which does not exist it can easily get 1 MB saying evertime the same errors xD. With the help of the logfiles I was able to fix the NL mod within an hour (files from the content folder were not recognized + new events broke the event system).

ATM I dont have the right software to mod 3d models. I hope Blender will do. If not students get 3ds max for free. However even the germans werent able to import proper working animations. They guess OgreExport 2.6.2 + 3ds max 2012 is needed, duno if i can get my hands at this stuff ;).

Have a Great Day