William Stapleford

Please Someone explain how to texture an object

Its funny that everyone seems to say the re-skinning is the easiest thing to do in this game however I am too stupid to do it apparently.  I can not for the life of me find the correct file or texture.  I found a tutorial that was posted on the Emergency 5 Home page under modding.  It is describing how to skin a cow.  I have followed this step by step but when it comes to the point to pick the object textures by using the material manager "M" key.  Then using the "pick"  button.  The icon does change to a hand and then when i click on the cow or any object nothing happens.  In the tutorial it says that all the textures should be displayed in the material manager.  Nothing is shown.

I had another person try and follow the same tutorial and once again they had the same result.  I suggest you try it and see if it works for you.  I'm assuming that the newest patch 1.4.1 may have messed it up or even locked the files.  Developers are silent again, what a surprise.

I attempted to use another modder that created the best mod on here so far and I was able to find the textures in the "derived" folder however they do not correspond with anything at all.  When i have done re-skins in other games the files are associated with the model sometimes even in the same folder.  In this game though they make no logical sense at all and are impossible to find and/or relate to.  For example i cant find the textures for the police helicopter.  It looks like all the files are hex codes and thats about it.  I have managed to get the .dds files to work in photoshop by downloading the proper puggins but without going through every single texture file one by one I can never find the file I need.

Please tell me that I'm missing something and are just plain stupid.  I cant imagine making it this difficult to re-skin something by hiding the files.

If you have any tips or are able to get the tutorial to work then please let me and all the others know.

For now I will continue to work on the lighting mods and messing with other game aspects.

Thank you all and have a great day.

Bill

Delaware, USA 

Yes please let me know the tutorial they placed in the emergency world home page does not work and therefore seems to be no easy way to figure out what textures are used on a model.

Also dont forget you will need a damaged model and textures for the new model / prefab or im betting it will crash the game if destroyed.

You notice that all prefabs have a normal and damaged/destroyed model.

Good luck

Bill

Delaware, USA