keepachris

Windows 8 Crashing Emergency 4 Deluxe

Hi, I have updated to windows 8, before i updated i used windows 7 and Emergency 4 ran with no problems. Now when i try to run it crashes to desktop before the intro video starts i have tried the following 

- Clean install of Emergency 4

- Running as administrator 

- Running in Windows 7 Compatibility 

- Running the Windows 8 Troubleshoot Compatibility (which tried to run it in Windows 7 & Windows XP SP3)

- Updating Video card Drivers (all of which are up to date) 

- Changing the resolution in the .cfg file

i do not know what else to try...

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank You

you said you did this but~!

Set your resolution in the config file manually 

Use a text editor

Go in to your EM4 game directory 

Open em4.cfg ( Make sure its not set to read only )

find

<var name="r_xres" value="1600" />
    <var name="r_yres" value="900" />
And set the values to your screens resolution ( Go to your control panel and make sure you set it to the resolution displayed under Appearance & Personalization  )
Change the compatibility mode to windows XP EM4 Is a XP era game not windows 7 also make sure that run as administrator is checked for every start up!
U could also try lowering your UAC level to see if that helps!  ( it will block file changes and other crap on occasion) 

Should solve your problem, However if you try the above listed ( Actually try them! )
Ill troubleshoot some more stuff with you i had this issue on windows 8 as well and the game is running great 

Hi Nathan, 
Just followed all of your instructions and still no luck. The .cfg file had my resolution saved from when i changed them before, and they are correct according to what control panel says (1366 x 768). I've also tried running it as administrator and as XP SP2 & SP3 compatibility. 

Thanks 

you said you did this but~!

Set your resolution in the config file manually 

Use a text editor

Go in to your EM4 game directory 

Open em4.cfg ( Make sure its not set to read only )

find

<var name="r_xres" value="1600" />
    <var name="r_yres" value="900" />
And set the values to your screens resolution ( Go to your control panel and make sure you set it to the resolution displayed under Appearance & Personalization  )
Change the compatibility mode to windows XP EM4 Is a XP era game not windows 7 also make sure that run as administrator is checked for every start up!
U could also try lowering your UAC level to see if that helps!  ( it will block file changes and other crap on occasion) 

Should solve your problem, However if you try the above listed ( Actually try them! )
Ill troubleshoot some more stuff with you i had this issue on windows 8 as well and the game is running great 

I changed the values to my resolution settings, but when i want to save the cfg file, it says: Acces denied.

Does anyone know how i can still save it?

The game is running correctly, only the resolution  is isn't the same as the setings of my pc. Is that bad, or isn't that a problem?

Erik112Sneek

I changed the values to my resolution settings, but when i want to save the cfg file, it says: Acces denied.

Does anyone know how i can still save it?

The game is running correctly, only the resolution  is isn't the same as the setings of my pc. Is that bad, or isn't that a problem?

Erik112Sneek

It's not bad. Just a personal preference.

As for editing the file, you need this:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2814-take-ownership-add-context-menu-windows-8-a.html

Then right click the config file, and click take ownership. After that you can edit it just fine, or copy to your desktop, edit the file on your desktop, and then move it back to the directory where it came from.