Guest EMTMX

[SOLVED] EM4 Crash to desktop

Guest EMTMX

Hello friends from Emergency-planet. I hope you're doing it really great.

I'm a big fan of the Emergency games from long time ago. The other day cleaning the house I found my old EM4 cd (actually is 911 First responder since is a disc that friend brought to me from USA and I live in Latin America)

I used to play it a lot on my old Vaio laptop without a trouble. And decided to install it on my only home computer (an old P4 that I use as entertainment center) and can not make it to work at all.

It starts with a black screen, goes to full screen mode and suddenly returns to desktop after a couple of seconds (the editor has the same behavior).

Yes my computer had installed Klite codec pack since it is my main entertainment device at home and I use it to watch movies, series etc.

It had the nokia ovi sute installed since is my only computer at home and both my gf and me have nokia phones and use them a lot.

It has an app named kworld hypermedia center since I use this computer to watch tv with an usb analog tv receiver stick since I don't have tv at home.

After reading for almost 3 days on the forums the possible solutions for this crash I removed nokia and klite codec pack, also ffdshow (of course, didn't remove kworld hypermedia center or my gf will kill me LOL :P )

Changed the .cfg file to force 800x600 resolutions

Downloaded and installed what Nvidia claims as the most recent drivers for my graphics card 175.16 Nvidia drivers

And still have no results.

I know i'm missing something that might be so obvious but I think I'm overbloated now and can't find the solution. If someone could please help me with this I will be very happy.

Before someone asks here are my dxdiag and em4 logfile (note Im using the .cfg from the download section on the low-end version)

I know that this is an old computer, but believe me my old vaio laptop was almost the same and ran the game pretty smooth.

Thanks advancedly for all your help and best regards.

[update on 24-05-2011]

I solved the problem by installing Windows 7 32bit and using only VLC media player for video playback instead of klite codec pack. It seems like the game is compatible with KWorld codecs.

Didn't install Nokia OVI software neither any other 3rd party codec pack.

I will go installing new software and testing the game until I get to the crash point.

It's a shame that this great game has all that incompatibility issues with several software. Seems it's something with engine design that causes this problems.

Keep the good work and let's expect that an upcoming version of the series can perform better on more systems.

Best regards for everyone

DxDiag.txt

logfile.txt