rafaelmfernandez

9/11 First Responder prohibited to attend memorial

gotta make room for all the politicians,both local and federal,who realistically had nothing to do with this tragedy (scum bags) and probably only view this as a great photo opportunity .

gotta make room for all the politicians,both local and federal,who realistically had nothing to do with this tragedy (scum bags) and probably only view this as a great photo opportunity .

This is 100% true, makes me sick sometimes.... maybe they know a terrorist attack will happen there and want to get all politicians and protect ff/ems/police.

i'm an FDNY firefighter and all i have to say is go F**K your self to the nyc mayor

Lol, hey that's how firefighters are haha. They're nice until you get on their bad side then they'll smack on the the head with the rabbit tool

i'm an FDNY firefighter and all i have to say is go F**K your self to the nyc mayor

love firefighters :) we all talk behind people back but usually respect people up front.

That's funny. I ran a search on this page, and the word "family" (or "families", for that matter), can't be found anywhere on this page.

However, I'm pretty sure that first responders were not invited because the event is for the families of the victims to remember the ones they lost on that day, and that the area cannot physically accommodate more people. Period.

If you think the "lack of room" excuse is lame, do the math: 2500+ victims... All of these people probably had husbands, wives, daughters, sons, boyfriends, girlfriends, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers... How many people is that? Is the site really big enough to accommodate thousands more people? And then why not invite the survivors as well? And the victims' friends, who sometimes almost count as family? Choices have to be made sometimes, and I believe it's selfish to not respect that.

As far as I know, there are other ceremonies planned to honor emergency workers. It's not like they're completely forgotten. Does it hurt that much to let the families mourn their lost ones in peace, on the anniversary of their death, on the site where they disappeared?

/my two cents

• Upvote 1

I have to say that that was the most sensible post here, from Voodoo that is.

Space restrictions are a big thing, especially when dignitaries, like the president are coming to dedicate the memorial. They didn't want to let the place pack, because then there is a higher chance of not being able to stop something if it goes wrong. Assuming ten thousand people showed up in addition to the say 50-100 dignitaries, the area gets full real quick.