mr matt5432123

buying vehicles in the campaign

Hey, I've tried searching for this for awhile and don't even know if it exists but I'm looking for how to change what vehicles are bought during those free-play missions in between the campaign missions in the vanilla game. So for example after the 1st mission with the church collapsing the game wants you to save enough money to by a water bowser (or fire engine as we would call it) and a doctor's car; I would like to change this so that it asks the player to buy several different engines that were added by me. 

My idea if this works is that I can build a mod that revolves around starting out with a small base and gradually gets bigger as the campaign is played kind of like how the original game works. The only difference is that I would intend to have many more units than the base game and implement the "tostation" scripts among others.  

Just looking quickly through the files, I would assume that you can achieve this by making sure that the unit files correspond with the files of vanilla units from the different levels and add the units accordingly to the quest parts in the campaign_params.xml and adding the quest text lines in the quest.xml file. But as Itchboys mentioned, it could be that there is some hardcoded stuff behind this and there could be more other files involved that I'm not aware of as this was just a quick browse.

Yeah, it looks like campaign params and quest are the files that make this work. I was just able to swap out the water bowser with the ladder truck, so it seems possible. However I think that actually adding units is going to be where I run into trouble, but that's just me worrying because I haven't tried anything with that yet. I guess we'll see.

• Upvote 1

I was able to achieve this, but it has spawned another problem. I now can buy 2 different kinds of water bowser, the first one works fine when bought and it should be noted that I did  not actually add the first one I just swapped the models on the original water bowser in the game. The second water bowser is where the problem starts, shortly after it spawns it sinks down into the map. I uploaded a video to better show what I mean. when I added the second water bowser to the mod I just cloned (in the editor) the prototype of the first water bowser and then swapped the models and then I followed Hoppah's tutorial on how to add vehicles to the in-game menus by making a unit folder for the new vehicle and adding lines to all the required .xml files.

Here's the video link: https://youtu.be/N5VeCv2NoVw      Any ideas on how I could fix this?

newsflash: I'm an idiot. I somehow messed up the physics in the editor; I fixed it and it now works flawlessly. I'll make a tutorial on how to do this once I find some time.

Edited by mr matt5432123

Oh hahaha. Glad you got it fixed 

2 hours ago, mr matt5432123 said:

I was able to achieve this, but it has spawned another problem. I now can buy 2 different kinds of water bowser, the first one works fine when bought and it should be noted that I did  not actually add the first one I just swapped the models on the original water bowser in the game. The second water bowser is where the problem starts, shortly after it spawns it sinks down into the map. I uploaded a video to better show what I mean. when I added the second water bowser to the mod I just cloned (in the editor) the prototype of the first water bowser and then swapped the models and then I followed Hoppah's tutorial on how to add vehicles to the in-game menus by making a unit folder for the new vehicle and adding lines to all the required .xml files.

Here's the video link: https://youtu.be/N5VeCv2NoVw      Any ideas on how I could fix this?

newsflash: I'm an idiot. I somehow messed up the physics in the editor; I fixed it and it now works flawlessly. I'll make a tutorial on how to do this once I find some time.