CanadianFrog

Hill Street Blues Mod [V1.0.1 released 4/3/2021] [Slow WIP]

2 hours ago, armyconrad said:

Out of curiosity, what font are you using for "Metro Police" on the side of the police cars? It fits really well with the theme/era

Unispace. It's a great font for things in this era, as a matter of fact it's the same font I use for the numbers on the fire trucks

I recently played this mod at the suggestion of Itchboy. Some key takeaways I had:

• This mod is incredibly fun!
  • The fire department and police units look amazing.
  • I love that it's set in the 80s, it gives it a very "action-movie" feel to it.
  • There are a couple of callouts that I don't remember ever seeing before, which keeps things interesting!

This mod is a GOOD mod. However, I do have two bugs to report and a couple suggestions that can make it even better than it already is.

• BUG: When instructing a PD officer to put on a traffic vest, they revert to LA mod models
  • POSSIBLE BUG? : The M4 icon for SWAT officers appears a little glitchy. I didn't click on it for fear of potentially crashing my game though.

• SUGGESTION: A little more detail in the EMS vehicle livery would go a long way (but it's also good as-is).
  • SUGGESTION: SWAT Officers granted access to flash-bangs for the hostage callouts. As is, it ends in a shootout almost every time.
  • SUGGESTION: A mass-casualty unit would be ideal for a couple of the callouts (specifically the large MVC on the east side).
  • SUGGESTION: Implementation of a parking script and/or water tank script would make this mod even more fun than it already is! (Admittedly I don't know how easy or hard it is to implement this, and what kind of permissions are required from other authors)

Thank you Stockboy8 and CanadianFrog for a great mod, it will stay in my lineup for a long time! (And thank you to itchboy for suggesting this mod to me.)

Edited by AShadowbox
Removed a potentially spam-like sentence
  • Like 4

On 6/10/2021 at 1:48 PM, AShadowbox said:

I recently played this mod at the suggestion of Itchboy. Some key takeaways I had:

• This mod is incredibly fun!
  • The fire department and police units look amazing.
  • I love that it's set in the 80s, it gives it a very "action-movie" feel to it.
  • There are a couple of callouts that I don't remember ever seeing before, which keeps things interesting!

This mod is a GOOD mod. However, I do have two bugs to report and a couple suggestions that can make it even better than it already is.

• BUG: When instructing a PD officer to put on a traffic vest, they revert to LA mod models
  • POSSIBLE BUG? : The M4 icon for SWAT officers appears a little glitchy. I didn't click on it for fear of potentially crashing my game though.

• SUGGESTION: A little more detail in the EMS vehicle livery would go a long way (but it's also good as-is).
  • SUGGESTION: SWAT Officers granted access to flash-bangs for the hostage callouts. As is, it ends in a shootout almost every time.
  • SUGGESTION: A mass-casualty unit would be ideal for a couple of the callouts (specifically the large MVC on the east side).
  • SUGGESTION: Implementation of a parking script and/or water tank script would make this mod even more fun than it already is! (Admittedly I don't know how easy or hard it is to implement this, and what kind of permissions are required from other authors)

Thank you Stockboy8 and CanadianFrog for a great mod, it will stay in my lineup for a long time! (And thank you to itchboy for suggesting this mod to me.)

Thank you so much for your feedback, and thank you even more for playing my mod! I'd like to take a moment to respond to each of your bug reports and suggestions.

-The traffic vest bug is simply because I have not swapped the models for officers with the vest. I will be removing the command to change in the next version
-The M4 icon is a symptom of something I meant to fix but never got around to. I'll do my best to have it all ready for the next version, by having SWAT officers able to grab M4s (or in the context of this mod, M16 most likely)
-EMS will be getting a full rework in the next version as I'm not happy with as it is right now. I have some new models on the way,
-I tested this and swat officers ARE able to grab flash grenades, I have no idea why you were unable to grab them.
-I've thought about having an MCU but I've been unable to find any reference pictures that fit the era. If you or anyone else has some, please post them here or DM me.
-Parking script will most likely never come as I doubt I'd get proper permissions, but a water supply script may come, just not in the next update.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, stockboy8 said:

Thank you so much for your feedback, and thank you even more for playing my mod! I'd like to take a moment to respond to each of your bug reports and suggestions.

-The traffic vest bug is simply because I have not swapped the models for officers with the vest. I will be removing the command to change in the next version
-The M4 icon is a symptom of something I meant to fix but never got around to. I'll do my best to have it all ready for the next version, by having SWAT officers able to grab M4s (or in the context of this mod, M16 most likely)
-EMS will be getting a full rework in the next version as I'm not happy with as it is right now. I have some new models on the way,
-I tested this and swat officers ARE able to grab flash grenades, I have no idea why you were unable to grab them.
-I've thought about having an MCU but I've been unable to find any reference pictures that fit the era. If you or anyone else has some, please post them here or DM me.
-Parking script will most likely never come as I doubt I'd get proper permissions, but a water supply script may come, just not in the next update.

For the SWAT thing, it may be a case that I just completely didn't see the button, in which case, my bad!

MCU are most often just converted city buses.  Since you are making a fictional mod anyway, my suggestion would be to use any city bus from that era instead of a purpose-built unit (only areas with the highest budgets have those). Here is an example of a unit from the late 70s/early 80s: 

Also as a side note, the whole album that came from might be of some interest to you, though it is NYC centric. https://www.flickriver.com/photos/44700898@N02/popular-interesting/

NYC EMS 578

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AShadowbox said:

For the SWAT thing, it may be a case that I just completely didn't see the button, in which case, my bad!

MCU are most often just converted city buses.  Since you are making a fictional mod anyway, my suggestion would be to use any city bus from that era instead of a purpose-built unit (only areas with the highest budgets have those). Here is an example of a unit from the late 70s/early 80s: 

Also as a side note, the whole album that came from might be of some interest to you, though it is NYC centric. https://www.flickriver.com/photos/44700898@N02/popular-interesting/

NYC EMS 578

Thank you so much for the photo, I guess I just wasn't looking hard enough but that bus is almost exactly what I was looking for. As for the album, It's an amazing thing to flip through but unfortunately many of the vehicles fall outside my intended timeframe. Still, it should keep me busy for a few days.

An update for all of you, since many of you complained about a lack of variety within the police department, so I decided to add some state troopers. I took a look at a few different state trooper vehicles from different states Hill Street Blues was based on, and decided on New York for a setting. I completed two vehicles to fill the CHP slots. Both are Itchboy's Ford LTD with EmC_Unit's Aerodynic lightbar
20210610215409_1.thumb.jpg.93b8a4066dec564719c17ff7c35d7155.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, stockboy8 said:

Thank you so much for the photo, I guess I just wasn't looking hard enough but that bus is almost exactly what I was looking for. As for the album, It's an amazing thing to flip through but unfortunately many of the vehicles fall outside my intended timeframe. Still, it should keep me busy for a few days.

An update for all of you, since many of you complained about a lack of variety within the police department, so I decided to add some state troopers. I took a look at a few different state trooper vehicles from different states Hill Street Blues was based on, and decided on New York for a setting. I completed two vehicles to fill the CHP slots. Both are Itchboy's Ford LTD with EmC_Unit's Aerodynic lightbar
20210610215409_1.thumb.jpg.93b8a4066dec564719c17ff7c35d7155.jpg

Wow, those liveries are sharp! Looks really good on those cars.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 3:23 PM, MisterZoinks said:

Great mod. Would like an option for just Fire/EMS tho.

If you'd like an option with just Fire/EMS calls, disable the callouts in your settings. I personally do not like those kinds of gamemodes and won't be including them in this mod.

On another note, It was recently brought to my attention that Fire Trucks are featured a few times in the TV series, all with the branding of "Metropolitan Fire Dept." I'm actually quite happy yo have found this information because it means I can continue to keep the exact city ambiguous. Do not worry though, the NYSP cars aren't going anywhere anytime soon. 

Work here has slowed but it's not quite stopped, I stepped away for a bit to work on Edgewater, and some other projects, mostly for practice. Trust me when I tell you it'll all be worth it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2021 at 6:59 PM, stockboy8 said:

something new for y'all tonight.

Decided we needed a bomb squad, and since I didn't have a base, I decided to reuse Firequi's chevy ambulance and slapped on Itch's Code3 lightbar. 

let me know what y'all think, I might end up reusing it for a SWAT van in the future. Big update coming soon, stay posted.

20210330184312_1.thumb.jpg.0bddc6cc23cf8be707a057eee3af931c.jpg

just gotta repaint it to say to SWAT and make it black or whatever color it was back then >:3

Also I'm having issues with the coronas of this mod. I dont know whether its how im installing it or what because I keep getting the same white squares like in the outdated/dead Hong Kong mod. 

Edited by LT_Shadow

I suppose I do owe everyone here a progress update, considering it has been more than 4 months since my last update. 

The mod is still in progress, as is Edgewater (I'll probably be posting a similar message on that thread tomorrow). I'll be honest with all of you. Version one of this mod is not good. It does not live up to the standards I set for myself in terms of quality and detail. Thus,  immediately after releasing the mod, I started working on a new version. I'm now stuck in a terrible loop. I get a few assets done, then I grow unhappy with the quality of them, so I scrap them and start over. 

A lot of work is being done behind the scenes. I just wish to refrain from showing it until I am happy with it, which could be a while but also could be quite soon. That is to say I have no idea when the next update will come, but I promise you when it does come, it will be work I am proud of.

• Like 5

On 1/2/2022 at 12:07 AM, stockboy8 said:

I suppose I do owe everyone here a progress update, considering it has been more than 4 months since my last update. 

The mod is still in progress, as is Edgewater (I'll probably be posting a similar message on that thread tomorrow). I'll be honest with all of you. Version one of this mod is not good. It does not live up to the standards I set for myself in terms of quality and detail. Thus,  immediately after releasing the mod, I started working on a new version. I'm now stuck in a terrible loop. I get a few assets done, then I grow unhappy with the quality of them, so I scrap them and start over. 

A lot of work is being done behind the scenes. I just wish to refrain from showing it until I am happy with it, which could be a while but also could be quite soon. That is to say I have no idea when the next update will come, but I promise you when it does come, it will be work I am proud of.

Hey, Don't be so harsh with yourself, i really like the mod how it is right now! the police cars are super cool and the ambulances look really nice, In terms of quality i think your really doing an awesome job, I couldn't model if my life depended on it! It's totally ok to do things until your happy with it but don't beat yourself up or put yourself down over it! take your time :) i don't care how long an update takes, I'll always be so happy to receive an update, I'm sure it doesn't seem like much but i really enjoy playing 911 first responders and the fact that people are still modding it so many years later just makes me really really happy, So no matter what, I'll always be thankful for anything you or any other mod developer puts out!

The main thing that I really like about the mod is how unique it is. It's pretty impressive you were able to get any units to be in this mod from how limited the information is. It's not like a mod where you come up with it in your head or you look at real departments from stuff like your home town or even just from videos and photos, you have to look through an entire show to see photos and videos. Which then you have to make into an actual model and skin, and if you want to make units that are the style of the show but are never shown it takes a lot to figure out what a certain unit would look like in that setting. For example (Insert any common  80's police vehicle) but theme it like it would be in the show has to be hard. Hope the next version brings so good additions, there's not many mods that can say they are based off a tv show (maybe not any other mods at all). So even having a little bit is still a step into some more variety. Good luck on both this and Edgewater.

In an attempt to add some more pizzazz to some of the set pieces around, I've given an attempt at adding 3D text to the firehouse. I think it looks good, but I'm concerned about how high-poly the text is and how it may effect performance on some computers. I'm currently working on an alternative.  And the security cameras will also be removed before the next release, for realism. 20220111111029_1.thumb.jpg.1339cd961f7e0cb2ea6be8c6eead0447.jpgmay

• Like 2