Miggles

Santa Cruz Mod (slow)

Hey all!

Been playing Em4 for quite some time now. Dipped my toes into modding a few years back but nothing serious. Finally decided to get back into it since I've started playing again. This mod will be based in Santa Cruz, CA. I work full time and will be going back to school soon and there's really not a lot of info on local units so this will be pretty slow-going. By the time I'm done with the models and map I'm hoping there'll be some cool scripts out to really boost gameplay and my idea of what Em4 should really be like. Freeplay will mostly revolve around fire/EMS and beach/water rescue. 

Fire Station 1: Engine 3111, Engine 3134 (brush), Tower 3170, Utility 3160, Battalion 3103

Fire Station 2: Engine 3112, Engine 3110

Fire Station 3: Engine 3113, Engine 3115 (ladder), Engine 3116

EMS: AMR Santa Cruz

Police: Santa Cruz PD, CHP, Coast Guard

Mutual aid from Santa Cruz Sheriff and CalFire.

I've pretty much completed the cab of Engine 3111 which will be slightly altered for many of the other engines as well as Tower 3170. I'll probably convert it sometime this week to make sure everything is playing nicely... Been a while since I've done Em4 stuff, how in-depth can I get with the details?

http://www.emergency-planet.com/uploads/monthly_2019_12/Pierce.thumb.png.786447d71e8a2dc45a6078e92292e838.png

http://www.emergency-planet.com/uploads/monthly_2019_12/348517880_PierceSide.thumb.png.624c9a5f2fa5a9f8d0c28bce7b7c057c.png

Pierce.png

Pierce Side.png

• Like 1

What you have right now is a bit heavier than needed, but it can be forgiven as long as you offset it by only using a minimum of textures, and not going too crazy with the polygon count.

The model itself is very nice, and I like the addition of the bumper compartments and what looks like a preconnect up there?

1 hour ago, itchboy said:

What you have right now is a bit heavier than needed, but it can be forgiven as long as you offset it by only using a minimum of textures, and not going too crazy with the polygon count.

The model itself is very nice, and I like the addition of the bumper compartments and what looks like a preconnect up there?

Thanks man I appreciate it, especially coming from you. I did rework it a little to get the face count down by about 75%, I'm converting it over to Zm2 right now so we'll see if it helps. And yes sir, still trying to figure out how I'm going to model/texture the hoses

Well I reworked the engine down from 13k polys to 6k. Could probably redo the curve of the cab but I really like it, considering how much detail I ended up losing. Hoping that's not too bad, considering there'll be about three other engines and a truck based off of it. Definitely don't remember exporting from sketchup being this hard, put it into Blender to touch it up and then finally exported into Zmod. I notice there was a lot of duplicate faces and such, might have to experiment more and see if there's a way to make all the programs play a little more nicely together... Anyways, I'd rather show a textured version but it's late and I have work in the morning so here's my first ever from-scratch model (is the line down the middle normal?)

The plan is to make all/most of the fire units from scratch. Let's be honest, big red bricks with flashing lights are easier to model than them curvy PD and EMS bois so I'll probably borrow some models for those.

http://www.emergency-planet.com/uploads/monthly_2019_12/313124022_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.b8aed14cd8576d2e69cb3c78b57f36b8.png

http://www.emergency-planet.com/uploads/monthly_2019_12/313124022_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.b8aed14cd8576d2e69cb3c78b57f36b8.png

EDIT: looks like I'm gunna dumb it down even more... took a look at some other people's models and I see where they save polys. Not happy but I guess you really won't zoom in that much right??

Screenshot (1).png

• Like 1

Thise looks VERY

giphy.gif

nice! I love your moddel. Basic advice about polygon count, go for less from the start. You can get the biggest polygons count on the small details. (LIke for ex, iv'e made fire hose connector on my moddel, from higly detailed to 8 sectors cylinder.) Keep it up!

1 hour ago, EmC-Unit said:

Thise looks VERY nice! I love your moddel. Basic advice about polygon count, go for less from the start. You can get the biggest polygons count on the small details. (LIke for ex, iv'e made fire hose connector on my moddel, from higly detailed to 8 sectors cylinder.) Keep it up!

Yeah now you tell me 🙄😂 Thanks for your input, and I appreciate the kind words. I ended up getting her down to 3.9k, even after adding some details to the preconnects. I'll probably throw in some more crap tomorrow...

3.9k is amazing, considering my "amazing" City of Angels engines are in the 8k range. The polycutting job is sufficient in my eyes.

Happy to see more mods coming out. Hopefully the next asset dump me and the guys do will stir up some more creative people.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, itchboy said:

3.9k is amazing, considering my "amazing" City of Angels engines are in the 8k range. The polycutting job is sufficient in my eyes.

Happy to see more mods coming out. Hopefully the next asset dump me and the guys do will stir up some more creative people.

Agreed, things seems to be picking up around here! 

1 hour ago, Miggles said:

Yeah now you tell me 🙄😂 Thanks for your input, and I appreciate the kind words. I ended up getting her down to 3.9k, even after adding some details to the preconnects. I'll probably throw in some more crap tomorrow...

If you don't know how to UV map, i can help you with that.😜

10 hours ago, EmC-Unit said:

If you don't know how to UV map, i can help you with that.😜

Might take you up on that bro, I'm getting close!

Finished up the lower poly engine today.. Just flipping a bunch of faces.. Guess I should've done that in Zmod, oh well. Final count is 4095, I might add some more hose detail/deck gun detail later.

http://www.emergency-planet.com/uploads/monthly_2019_12/1963264231_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.54e78373712f34f253c6304ed6aee33a.pnghttp://www.emergency-planet.com/uploads/monthly_2019_12/447381384_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.118f9e464b212b3eaa70532961acae0d.png

http://www.emergency-planet.com/uploads/monthly_2019_12/1963264231_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.54e78373712f34f253c6304ed6aee33a.png

http://www.emergency-planet.com/uploads/monthly_2019_12/447381384_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.118f9e464b212b3eaa70532961acae0d.png

EDIT: Got it back down to 3900 again and found a way to get around flipping all those friggen faces. My process is model in sketchup->export as .dae->import into blender for cleanup work->export as .obj->import into Zmod->flip object->do any more clean up needed.

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Edited by Miggles
Added my process
  • Like 1

Started working on 3116 before I realized I wasn't happy with 3111 so this kinda happenedhttp://www.emergency-planet.com/uploads/monthly_2019_12/658484641_ScreenShot2019-12-07at5_46_06PM.thumb.png.c2bcec0474ac3c66a235cfc4df11f95b.pnghttp://www.emergency-planet.com/uploads/monthly_2019_12/2103045399_ScreenShot2019-12-07at5_46_15PM.thumb.png.fbb6a8d8ac462b1fae6f2a93a187a940.png

Body itself is 5100 which is a little higher than I wanted but still not too bad? I'm sure there's more polys I can get rid of but at this point I think its fine. I can cut the interior in half and remove the other door and get rid of the arched inner fenders if need be

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 5.46.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 5.46.15 PM.png

On 12/5/2019 at 5:04 AM, itchboy said:

Hopefully the next asset dump me and the guys do will stir up some more creative people.

This is what I was referring to in my first post 😂 I seen your youtube of all those scripts over the past several years, which really turn in an old game into something fresh and new.

On 12/7/2019 at 6:58 PM, Yankee43 said:

Looking awesome, very high quality for that poly count.

Thanks man I appreciate it.

My goal was to have E3111 "done" in a week, save for the skin (most of the other engines are extremely similar and thus shouldn't take as long to complete once I get the base done). I've probably redone it at least six times now but I think I'm finally getting close to a point that I'm happy between quality and compromise. The last thing that I really can't seem to get is what the heck is on the driver side of the box.

maxresdefault.jpg

DcEniymUQAARxH8?format=jpg&name=large

3116 has the same thing. Almost looks like a thin ladder from this angle but that would make it so narrow? Maybe its a tripod or something? Which brings me to my next question. For cliff rescues, obviously calling in a helicopter would be easiest. However, would there be a way to use a ground-based tripod with the helicopter hoist command to do something similar?

34 minutes ago, Miggles said:

This is what I was referring to in my first post 😂 I seen your youtube of all those scripts over the past several years, which really turn in an old game into something fresh and new.

Thanks man I appreciate it.

My goal was to have E3111 "done" in a week, save for the skin (most of the other engines are extremely similar and thus shouldn't take as long to complete once I get the base done). I've probably redone it at least six times now but I think I'm finally getting close to a point that I'm happy between quality and compromise. The last thing that I really can't seem to get is what the heck is on the driver side of the box.

maxresdefault.jpg

DcEniymUQAARxH8?format=jpg&name=large

3116 has the same thing. Almost looks like a thin ladder from this angle but that would make it so narrow? Maybe its a tripod or something? Which brings me to my next question. For cliff rescues, obviously calling in a helicopter would be easiest. However, would there be a way to use a ground-based tripod with the helicopter hoist command to do something similar?

if you are referring to the diamond plate box on the hose bed cover it is a spine board storage compartment

5 minutes ago, THVFD said:

if you are referring to the diamond plate box on the hose bed cover it is a spine board storage compartment

That's good to know actually, thank you! But no, above where it says paramedic engine theres the diamond plate trim and then a long object sitting on top of the utility bed, where suction hoses go on some engines (I think that's what they're called?)

2 minutes ago, Miggles said:

That's good to know actually, thank you! But no, above where it says paramedic engine theres the diamond plate trim and then a long object sitting on top of the utility bed, where suction hoses go on some engines (I think that's what they're called?)

it's a collasable attic ladder usually about 10 foot long and around 6 inches wide when open

fl.jpg

• Upvote 1

Crazy good work, my man. Looks absolutely fantastic, and will make future engines so much easier to finish! Will work on lighting now so that I can actually have a completed. Can't thank you enough, I'm impressed by the helpfulness of this community

EDIT: when I'm in the lights editor, the model is seemingly invisible. Anyone know the cause for this? I can see it in every other edit window