itchboy

Project Nostalgia Submod [RELEASED - Bugfixes Uploaded Regularly]

1 hour ago, KEISHI081 said:

I would like you to see this image, which was taken around 1977 or 1978. It can barely be read as Plymouth from the trunk emblem. Because it has a light bar, it was probably used in the 1980s, but I can't say anything.

I don't know either. What does the caption say regarding this photo?

I am inclined to believe this is a film prop because I've never heard of any authentic LAPD Furys having the Aerodynic in 1977 or 78. Maybe some were retrofitted before 1984, but most of the marked patrol Furys were gone by the 1984 Olympics. I recall an article out there saying LA intended to replace their police vehicles with traditional lightbars and more visible appearance for foreign olympics visitors. They did that by 1980 with the Gran Fury, Fairmont, and the Impala by 1982.

Unmarked Furys have been confirmed to survive as late as 1986 until the Caprices and Ford LTD's replaced them entirely. We also have a picture that might show an unmarked 1973 Plymouth in service in 1983.

I am curious about any weird LAPD lightbar setups from the vintage era, so I am at least thankful you sent this picture. 

For now I'll keep this picture as "under review".

• Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 8:28 PM, itchboy said:

I don't know either. What does the caption say regarding this photo?

I am inclined to believe this is a film prop because I've never heard of any authentic LAPD Furys having the Aerodynic in 1977 or 78. Maybe some were retrofitted before 1984, but most of the marked patrol Furys were gone by the 1984 Olympics. I recall an article out there saying LA intended to replace their police vehicles with traditional lightbars and more visible appearance for foreign olympics visitors. They did that by 1980 with the Gran Fury, Fairmont, and the Impala by 1982.

Unmarked Furys have been confirmed to survive as late as 1986 until the Caprices and Ford LTD's replaced them entirely. We also have a picture that might show an unmarked 1973 Plymouth in service in 1983.

I am curious about any weird LAPD lightbar setups from the vintage era, so I am at least thankful you sent this picture. 

For now I'll keep this picture as "under review".

It was good to have good information.

The captions are "LAPD patroling with a police car parked at the intersection of Broadway Boulevard and Olive Street in downtown Los Angeles at midnight" and "Midnight Broadway Boulevard, LAPD to guide bad boys".

The magazine containing this photo was released in Japan in 1978. And the photo was posted on the special page of the experience work actually done at LAPD by Mr. Haruo Mizuno who supervised the magazine. Unfortunately, there are only two pictures of Plymouth, but it seems to be a real thing, not a movie or TV drama. Perhaps the light bar was introduced on a trial basis even before the 1980s.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, KEISHI081 said:

I've gotten in contact with some LAPD experts over Facebook. I'll bring this up with them at an appropriate time and I'll see what they have to say about this. I hope to get a conclusive answer, and maybe they can learn something too.

• Like 3

Some really great news. I've found early 80's Airport PD units.

These are Chrysler LeBarons.unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

I also have a picture of this 1979 Malibu which I am now sure is also AIrport PD, because the spec with the lightbars and spotlight matches up with these units.
82167728_191320391999354_5224982948586979328_n.thumb.jpg.f8b69e58bc0879d72280e24f06971be8.jpg

Both of these are now being added into the plan for the next update of the mod.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, KEISHI081 said:

As a side note, the photograph that seems to have been taken in 1978 also shows a vehicle that seems to be Malibu.

Also, this is a picture that seems to have been taken in 1980. You can see the SWAT vehicle used at that time.

Hey man, thank you so much for posting this. If you can, feel free to send the whole magazine in this thread.

I'd also appreciate translations where possible. I would like for this thread to be a historical reference for vintage/retro LA services.

I will be adding your name to the credits among my "thank you" list.

The vehicles in your pictures are a 1977 Ford Maverick (left) and 1978 Chevy Nova (right). This means that I have to make a Maverick model to fill the slots. I have a Nova model thankfully, so I will be reusing it.

AIrport Ops in 1979 did use the Maverick, so I had a feeling that police would have been the same. Your amazing photos have confirmed that to us.

Spoiler

6007720508_d41f40192f_3k.jpgPhoto by LAFD Historical Society

They have a Malibu in 1979 (in the picture with the crash tender) so this really helps solidify the setup. That is another car model I have to make, but at least won't be too difficult.

LAPD also have another version of that SWAT van except it is fully unmarked. I'll probably include your version of it in order to fully round out the fleet.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:40 PM, KEISHI081 said:

The captions are "LAPD patroling with a police car parked at the intersection of Broadway Boulevard and Olive Street in downtown Los Angeles at midnight" and "Midnight Broadway Boulevard, LAPD to guide bad boys".

The magazine containing this photo was released in Japan in 1978. And the photo was posted on the special page of the experience work actually done at LAPD by Mr. Haruo Mizuno who supervised the magazine. Unfortunately, there are only two pictures of Plymouth, but it seems to be a real thing, not a movie or TV drama. Perhaps the light bar was introduced on a trial basis even before the 1980s.

I have confirmed with the LAPD fans group that the Plymouth is a 1975-76 and indeed is authentic, and they did test out those Aerodynic bars in 1978. You are correct about them being on limited basis trial prior to 1980.

• Like 2

The pic of that Aerodynic Fury on the LAPD Facebook group is amazing, reminds me of the single picture of CHP Monacos with Aerodynics I found on ebay some time ago. (from a seller named "vintagecop", he also has some other rare CHP related pics, like one of a Mustang with a MX7000)

1978-Dodge-Monaco-CHP-California-Highway-Patrol-Police.jpg.77f422905e195f0fe0f08dc40e626496.jpg

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, 11john11x said:

The pic of that Aerodynic Fury on the LAPD Facebook group is amazing, reminds me of the single picture of CHP Monacos with Aerodynics I found on ebay some time ago. (from a seller named "vintagecop", he also has some other rare CHP related pics, like one of a Mustang with a MX7000)

The one in the FB group is what I'll make.

I might do an Aerodynic CHP Fury or St. Regis. I am not quite sure yet where I stand with regards to those units. I have higher priorities like the Camaros, the 1982 SSP Mustang or the CVE units (Ram, Silverados etc).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, itchboy said:

やあ、これを投稿してくれてありがとう。可能であれば、このスレッドで雑誌全体を送ってください。

可能であれば翻訳もいただければ幸いです。このスレッドを、ビンテージ/レトロなLAサービスの歴史的な参考資料にしたいと思います。

「ありがとう」リストのクレジットにあなたの名前を追加します。

あなたの写真の車両は1977年のフォードマーベリック(左)と1978年のシボレーノヴァ(右)です。これは、スロットを埋めるためにマーベリックモデルを作成する必要があることを意味します。ありがたいことにNovaモデルを持っているので、再利用します。

1979年の空港オプスはマーベリックを使っていたので、警察も同じだろうと感じました。あなたの素晴らしい写真は私たちにそれを確認しました。

隠されたコンテンツを明らかにする

6007720508_d41f40192f_3k.jpgPhoto by LAFD Historical Society

彼らは1979年にマリブを持っているので(クラッシュテンダーの写真で)、これは本当にセットアップを固めるのに役立ちます。それは私が作らなければならないもう一つの車のモデルですが、少なくともそれほど難しくはありません。

LAPDには、完全にマークが付いていないことを除いて、そのSWATバンの別のバージョンもあります。艦隊を完全に完成させるために、おそらくあなたのバージョンを含めます。

私はLAPDファングループにプリマスが1975-76であり、実際に本物であることを確認しました。彼らは1978年にそれらのエアロダイニックバーをテストしました。1980年以前に限定的に試用されていることについては正しいです。

I'm sorry, I found out that the vehicle that I thought was Malibu at first was Nova when I checked it later. However, as long as there are pictures, it seems certain that Malibu was also adopted.

76876.thumb.png.1a64eb12668f48e264c3b1304390e160.png

I will also post the entire magazine. Interpretation is not impossible, but I am sorry that it will take time, but I will omit it.

It will be a valuable resource for learning about LAX PD at that time.

9876456897.thumb.jpg.42ddbd791f0c19f51a81296aa179eb7b.jpg98764587677.thumb.jpg.22f8298d5c73bd59788ca1a88a1bb9ba.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KEISHI081 said:

I'm sorry, I found out that the vehicle that I thought was Malibu at first was Nova when I checked it later. However, as long as there are pictures, it seems certain that Malibu was also adopted.

I will also post the entire magazine. Interpretation is not impossible, but I am sorry that it will take time, but I will omit it.

It will be a valuable resource for learning about LAX PD at that time.

That's amazing. Thank you so much, You've helped us immensely. I can wait for the translation by the way. It's not that big of a deal as long as we have pictures.

When I get a break from working on Montana, I will work on making these assets ASAP.

Are there magazines/pages on other agencies? There might be some other modders who will need the pictures.

For me personally, I'd like to ask if there is Los Angeles Port Police or CHP documented.

I'd also like to ask if there's a feature for Miami, San Francisco, New York, Las Vegas or Chicago. Those are currently the "top" cities that I've been helping research for.

• Like 8

Wasn't expecting to see one of the department of airport police cars so soon, good job as always. 

Tailboard riding April 1984

I had the idea of having firefighters have the ability of being able to ride on the rear of the apparatus come to mind a few months ago back with the SWAT showcase video, I'm fairly certain that the spawner button showed the year 1986 in one of the showcase videos but i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I found some time ago a pair of old LAPD trucks:

Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) Chrevolet truck

I see some pictures of this Chevy carring an old Police Motorbike, so maybe it's some kind of utility for the Workshops.

But this one... I can't really tell:

CITY OF LOS ANGELES POLICE DEPARTMENT (LAPD)

F350, dual real tyres but I cannot tell the pourpose of this one. It looks to have something in the rear. Maybe for carring a trailer of the LAPD Mounted Platoon or other special unit?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2021 at 7:55 AM, miles451 said:

I had the idea of having firefighters have the ability of being able to ride on the rear of the apparatus come to mind a few months ago back with the SWAT showcase video, I'm fairly certain that the spawner button showed the year 1986 in one of the showcase videos but i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I'll see what I can do with those tailboard firefighters. There's a problem with game balancing if I had this on certain models but not on others (due to scaling issues).

On 12/14/2021 at 3:36 PM, Anto Mart said:

I found some time ago a pair of old LAPD trucks:

I see some pictures of this Chevy carring an old Police Motorbike, so maybe it's some kind of utility for the Workshops.
But this one... I can't really tell:

F350, dual real tyres but I cannot tell the pourpose of this one. It looks to have something in the rear. Maybe for carring a trailer of the LAPD Mounted Platoon or other special unit?

I won't be making these units but it's likely these are fleet services or part of transportation division.

2RCuZsY.png

The airport PD Nova is in, and both vehicles have been lighted. FS Aerodynic by EmC Unit and rihis.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

23 hours ago, itchboy said:

I won't be making these units but it's likely these are fleet services or part of transportation division.

No problem, is reasonable, there are not first responders. And OnFire is also right, maybe they will be cool for repairs, but, not really that necesary.

Anyway, keep working in this awesome mod. The new Airport PD models are stunning!

• Upvote 1