itchboy

Project Nostalgia Submod [RELEASED - Bugfixes Uploaded Regularly]

I would like to run this concept by everyone:

Would you guys like an 80s/90s switcher? A simple script line in the scriptthat allows you to switch between a start spawn script of 1980s or the 90s style that is present in the mod right now. Say, change false to true in the script to make the playable units that spawn at the start be all 80s.

Another option I had is to use the MP vehicle spawners but in single player to spawn 80s vehicles or 90s vehicles depending on user choice. I prefer this choice because you don't have to go into the scripts, however you will have to do this for every session to spawn vehicles in.

The unit lineups such as the lefthand menu will not be changed, because it is not possible to force a specific set of vehicles for freeplay in the detault setup. The civilian vehicles or any other game element will not change to represent the 80s.

Also, not all playable units will be done as their 80s versions. Only the ones that I am able to make or find photos of. That also means I won't do the vintage heavy rescue either, or any of the airport, USFS or specialized vehicles.

I will also be impleneting the vehicle variant changer so that you can change between whatever variant of unit you want, say, 1989 LAPD Ford vs 1988 LAPD Chevy, or 1982 Plymouth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, itchboy said:

Would you guys like an 80s/90s switcher? A simple script line in the scriptthat allows you to switch between a start spawn script of 1980s or the 90s style that is present in the mod right now. Say, change false to true in the script to make the playable units that spawn at the start be all 80s.

Another option I had is to use the MP vehicle spawners but in single player to spawn 80s vehicles or 90s vehicles depending on user choice. I prefer this choice because you don't have to go into the scripts, however you will have to do this for every session to spawn vehicles in.

The unit lineups such as the lefthand menu will not be changed, because it is not possible to force a specific set of vehicles for freeplay in the detault setup. The civilian vehicles or any other game element will not change to represent the 80s.

Also, not all playable units will be done as their 80s versions. Only the ones that I am able to make or find photos of. That also means I won't do the vintage heavy rescue either, or any of the airport, USFS or specialized vehicles.

I will also be impleneting the vehicle variant changer so that you can change between whatever variant of unit you want, say, 1989 LAPD Ford vs 1988 LAPD Chevy, or 1982 Plymouth.

Yes. I would love this to happen, would be nice if it was like the MP spawner. 

7 hours ago, itchboy said:

I agree with Dom. I think the MP spawner would work the best.

7 minutes ago, amuchalipsis said:

Hi. I found a small bug with the MCU's floodlights. They don't seem to turn off, at least when the MCU is deployed. It still makes the animation, it's just the floodlights that don't work as expected.

Thanks.

I'll fix the bug.

An important thing to remember is, the MCU isn't supposed to even be in the game; I only left it in because people would need it in campaign.

In real life, LA has no MCU, and they certainly did not have it in the 80s/90s.

Most likely I'll keep it but I won't change it because it never existed to begin with.

12 hours ago, itchboy said:

I like the idea or the Switcher, but I also like that there will be an option to play with all the vehicles in the same game

• Upvote 1

I'm not really on with the idea of switching. I mean nothing else will change, traffic cars or anything. If someone wants to be in the 80s, then they can just use those units. I don't think you need to work on a script for something like this. Your choice of course, it would be quicker than deploying units by hand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ApollonDriver said:

I'm not really on with the idea of switching. I mean nothing else will change, traffic cars or anything. If someone wants to be in the 80s, then they can just use those units. I don't think you need to work on a script for something like this. Your choice of course, it would be quicker than deploying units by hand. 

That's what I was thinking. It just gives you more options.

I think a switcher would be a very nice addition to making the mod more well rounded and easier to use as well as it making it look way nicer. It would seem off to have a 1996 Crown Victoria and a 1981 Dodge Diplomat parked next to each other in a LAPD lot. If the player wants to integrate them they can just use the game's call menu

Everyone in the thread has the correct idea with regards to the era switching idea.

The variant switcher (not to be confused with the era switcher) is merely being implemented to save on load times and menu listings of vehicles. I don't want to implement so many unit.xmls to the point that it will double the initial loading time. The variant switcher solves that problem. This is something that will be implemented due to people's criticisms of there not being a callable unit for the 1996 Caprice Slicktop, among many others.

For the 80s and 90s switcher, I have decided to go with a vehicle spawner, just like in multiplayer. Instead of wasting the players' time in having to manually spawn in each unit, I will give them the option to spawn in an 80s or 90s loadout, and then it is up to them to mix and match depending on what they want.

That way, if you want purely 80s, that choice is there, purely 90s is there too, and a mix/blended set to say, represent the late 80s or early 90s, you can manually call in units.

I hope everyone will feel satisfied by this arrangement.

• Like 6

Sounds good! 

3 minutes ago, itchboy said:

I've finally replaced the SWR with a fictional unit based on their real plug buggy trucks.

I also added in a CHP Impala.

Credit to bama1234 for these GM/Chevy pickup and SUV models.

Em4Deluxe 2021-03-22 09-36-11-06.png

Both look amazing! Can't wait for that SWR! Knocking it out of the park as always Itchboy

1 hour ago, AgentSmith6 said:

I love the swiftwater rig, it reminds me of a SFFD truck I saw in a book when I was a kid. Have you given any thought of adding the LASD ESD rescue trucks? I have a book with some photos from the 90s if interested. 

Yes I would be interested. You can post it here or by PM.

I do have plans on including a minimal amount of sheriff SEB to replace the missing "LAPD Rescue 2" from the original LA mod.

SEB officer and tactical vest texture by Hoppah, converted from the LA mod.

My plan is to add the Cadillac Peacekeeper and one of the old Chevy SEB utilities. I will get to these after I finish the FD/EMS expansion of the mod.

Em4Deluxe 2021-03-22 15-27-05-80.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, itchboy said:

Yes I would be interested. You can post it here or by PM.

I do have plans on including a minimal amount of sheriff SEB to replace the missing "LAPD Rescue 2" from the original LA mod.

SEB officer and tactical vest texture by Hoppah, converted from the LA mod.

My plan is to add the Cadillac Peacekeeper and one of the old Chevy SEB utilities. I will get to these after I finish the FD/EMS expansion of the mod.

Em4Deluxe 2021-03-22 15-27-05-80.png

That looks really nice!

First off I love the mod. I have a few suggestions for this mod.

• Change the sirens for the later LAPD cars. When they switched from the Aerodynic to the MX7000 they switched siren from the 480k to the Unitrol Omega
  • Can you implement the shotgun script from the Montana Mod. The LAPD used shotguns in this era
  • Bring in a random vehicle script for spawning in patrol cars. IIRC Newfoundkings NYC Mod did this
  • The Caltrans van is a late 90s/early 2000s model
  • Can you add LASD deputies and CHP officers for the unmarked car?
  • The LAPD fleet was a mess up until the late 90s and during the time period of the 80s there would be some B body furies and the rare AMC matador  left in the fleet are these going to be included in the mod?
  • LAPD Supervisors station wagons?
  • Can you put the Unmarked impala from colors in lol

i069555.jpg

• Upvote 2