itchboy

[TUTORIAL]Modelling a Vehicle From Scratch [INCOMPLETE - WIP] [UPDATE 1]

This is tutorial assumes that you already know the basics of Zmodeler. These are the steps I take to model a vehicle from scratch. Incomplete so far while I model this vehicle.

You need a picture of the vehicle from the side, google is your friend. Add the image using the display button. You can add an image on any view, but in our case, do it for the left or right side, depending on the orientation of the image you are using.

qhvIwqZ.png

Make a surface and that becomes a start for the vehicle.

xlDfefu.png

tZJ8sie.png

ocAfQWC.png

dTf4rAB.png

fBY1ES3.png

pyWlMqO.png

2SEWUrD.png

XQR6Wop.png

Once the model is extruded, you should end up with something that captures most of the details. You may have to make adjustments to the mesh of the model before you are able to get all the details in. Also you may need to add entire rows/columns of polygons just to accomodate some details that you may have missed in the original modelling process. Try to keep the shape smooth for the most part, except for any indents on the actual bodywork. Shading also helps bring out some dimension to it, so definitely needed for getting it right.

I haven't finished this example yet due to lack of time and will be posting a newer, more complete version soon. This temporary example still doesnt have a rear and front bumper, and lacks the door trim.

gy4snXK.pngNow that we have the side body done, the next step to be made is the roof. It is far easier than making the front and rear because car roofs are almost always flat.

Using what we've applied, create a row of polygons that represent the roof.

To make things quicker, we can copy paste those new roof polygons by detaching them with the "keep as new" button.

Modelling the roof:

Create new polygons on the top of the model, right where the roof starts.

VeraQbb.jpg

AuOGo9c.jpg

Align the newly created vertices, then continue the row until  you reach the center of the model. Try to follow the curvature and angle of the roof based on the reference pictures, but you do not need to follow the picture exactly. As long as it looks correct in 3D, that is what matters above all.

tbaoPSx.jpg

Continue making columns of polygons. You can make them by hand, or create copies of that first row to save time. The next pictures make use of the copy method. If you do not wish to use this method, skip to Step 9:

jA5afZC.jpg

Move the vertices to the correct points on the model.

DY1Amy5.jpg

Attach the newly created row copy to the main model.

9LBvb57.jpg

JArrS5T.jpg

Completing the copy method, and welding the vertices to fill all gaps.

I1s1Feg.jpg

Step 9: Once we have the roof done, its time to do the windshield and the hood.

8QzI1mc.jpg

Let's observe again. We need to pay close attention to the most visible details of the vehicle.

ttRPPWE.jpg

Using what you already know, keep on making rows and columns to set the windshield up.

9WviDR4.jpg

G3uc1Zn.jpg

And after a while, you should have the hood down.

N0AD06J.jpg

Modelling the front:

nd42cT6.png

Once you're past the corner, let's do the bumper.

ROXvyhY.png

And now to fill the gap on the front end.

EJOlzWX.png

Now to do that headlight.

6tx4Xu8.jpg

Modelling the rear

61rfdP6.jpg

Now for the bumper

zdAN9c2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

To be fair, I first started modding when I was 12 so age really doesnt matter tbh. What matters is the maturity and how you are able to say, manage your time, be respecful and humble about it, and know where you need to put the work in.

Modelling isnt an age exclusive thing, it just requires a good sense of space and form which can be learned. It isnt a 100% thing though, some people doing modelling can get the shape perfectly, others like myself, not so much.

• Upvote 4

Hello itchboy i have problem picture in z modelere is shrinking like this . Do you know how to resolve the problem? Left  in z modeler on the right in paint.net size 1024x819  

image.png

image.png

On 2/5/2019 at 2:56 AM, itchboy said:

I selected the headlights and tailights and assigned them to a different material.

I set each material to a different color for my own sake. I didnt want to get confused with what's the body and what's the headlight.

thanks!

Hi! I have a doubt, and I think i'm becoming crazy. Does de game change how vehicles are seen in any way? I'm looking the model in zmodeler, and when I look the same model inside de editor, it looks much more "flattened". 

I don't know what can cause this, if its the FOV, or what, but it is like ingame models are lower than in zmodeler.

Or may be just my imagination? 

Yes. Emergency 4 has a different FOV than Zmodeler and Blender. Most people dont notice the difference but it becomes really apparent once you start making models.

Have you noticed how some modellers like MikeyPI intentionally make their models appear taller than they actually are? That is because of the game perspective.

My most recent Ford CVPI model had to be adjusted to look less pudgy looking because of how Em4 distorts the perspective slightly.

You can adjust the FOV value in the em4.cfg file but it doesnt really change the perspective all that much.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, itchboy said:

Yes. Emergency 4 has a different FOV than Zmodeler and Blender. Most people dont notice the difference but it becomes really apparent once you start making models.

Have you noticed how some modellers like MikeyPI intentionally make their models appear taller than they actually are? That is because of the game perspective.

My most recent Ford CVPI model had to be adjusted to look less pudgy looking because of how Em4 distorts the perspective slightly.

You can adjust the FOV value in the em4.cfg file but it doesnt really change the perspective all that much.

Oh, woah, thanks for the response. I had created my first complete 3D model and it looks completely awful on the editor compared to the zmodeler one.

I tried changing the FOV, but as you said, doesn't really match the Zmod one.

I will try making it taller and shorter, and we will see if it works... I don't like pudgy models lol.

Thanks again!