itchboy

[TUTORIAL]How to Template and UV Map Tutorial

I have documented the steps I am doing while making a few models. The following will be required reading (and you will need to understand it) before you advance to the next steps.

Tutorial will be gradually expanded as I am able to document and type more things.

I will only be answering some questions and only provide generalized answers. My lack of time prevents a dedicated help line.

• Templating Tutorial
  1. Go to user mode and go into full screen
    PxUU6QH.png
  2. Select find in views to get a good zoom of your model and to center it to the screen (optional)
    zgg9ajK.png
  3. Capture each of the sides of the model. You need the Left, Right, Front, Rear and top. Tip: Hold shift when rotating the camera to get a more sensetive view.
    a0uUdT7.png
  4. Hit print screen and save image into texture. Add additional parts like headlights/tailights, bumpers and license plates if necessary. Save texture.
    7ReitOv.png
  5. Assign texture to material, assign material to model (explained in Hoppah's tutorial)

• UV Mapping Tutorial
  1. You need a template (I will make a Templating tutorial soon)
    dpjyvUG.png
  2. Select the polygons you wish to remove
    Gg2u4Lg.png
  3. Detach them from the main object
    2KUuHyu.png
  4. Go to vertices mode and select all of its vertices
    2KUuHyu.png
  5. Go to the desired view (example uses left view because the part is the left surface of the object)
    2KUuHyu.png
  6. Generate a new UV map
    tlaRJMf.png
  7. Align object to template in UV mapper
    y8xJnlb.png
  8. Try to get it as close as possible
    xChSUVW.png
  • Upvote 1

On 2/18/2019 at 1:36 AM, Alex Neumeister said:

I apologize for bumping this topic however I have a question regarding this. Can this also be done in Blender or would I have to use Zm2?

You can use Blender to UV map but it has a completely different set of steps that I do not know.

Just so people are aware as to how to UV map in Blender I feel stupid because of how easy it is. The easiest way is to open a separate viewport and to set that port as "UV/Image Editor." Next in the main viewport with the model go into edit mode and select all (standard key is A) next you will either click the tab that says "Shadings/UVs" or by pressing the "U" key. The easiest step is to press the "Smart UV Mapping Project" and to add at the least 0.09 Island margin. Lastly just press ok in that popup box and in that UV mapping viewport will be the UV map of the model.