Hoppah

[HOLD] New York City Modification v2.0

Itchboy,

Thanks for clueing me in but one thing that makes me part of the rare breed is my hobby of 3D modeling and I spent over 6 years just a single model, so I do have some insight what it take to do a mod. I understand that everyone has lives outside of EM4 & Issues I'm no different as I have Cerebral Palsy and limited use of one hand.

I have had friends that told me that I should sale my models or go work for a company that makes whatever I'm modeling but what they don't know or understand is the number of hours/days that I have put into the model and becomes like one of your children.

Vary true after countless hours of working on a model you protect it like it's your kid

sent from my samsung galaxy s4 mini

• Like 1

Hi everyone.. I read the forums often, but rarely post, but I felt like adding my 2 cents worth on this occasion.. It's a sad day when a community of like minded people cannot respect and understand the wishes of others who take their own time to make something that allows this game to continue to be played and enjoyed.. If it wasn't for the long and hard work of modders to create amazing mods, new scripts, maps, vehicles etc, this game would have died long ago.. I wish I had the ability to mod, I wouldn't even know where to begin, so I have been solely reliant on other people to make mods.. This however, does not entitle me nor do I have a right to expect anything from anyone.. I am extremely grateful and can appreciate the time and effort put in, to allow me to enjoy this game for as long as I have.. I find it hard to believe that people take this for granted.. I find it hard to understand, that with all the discussion about it and the rules of the forum that we all agree to, people still can't do a simple task and that is, ask permission to use other people's mods or parts of them.. If they say no, respect that, if they say yes, at least have the decency to credit and acknowledge their work and I'm really dumbfounded that someone would have the nerve to pass it off as their own..

Selfishly, I hope this gets resolved, so people continue to mod and I continue to be able to enjoy EM4 for a lot longer.. But, I completely understand why modders would choose against it.. To the true modders / developers and teams who all put their own time and long hours in so that I can enjoy to continue to play this game, I take my hat off to you and say thanks.. I hope the community can learn from this, resolve the issues and move forward..

Cheers

I do not find it selfish in the least to wish this to be resolved, I think, outside of maybe a small fringe group most people wish this could be resolved so that everyone can go back to what they set out to do.  With the state of things though, people who do take the time to make new things have taken a pause with their efforts (myself included) unless there is some sort of mutual understanding and respect to speak of, we cannot push forth as a community.  That lies within the community it's self to come to a consensus as to what they are willing to do and what they're willing to respect as the wishes of the people taking the time to make the things they enjoy.

As many others have said, when you take the time to create the things you do, you have a certain regard for them because they are rather important to you, when people just walk all over them (and by proxy you) it is rather offensive.  When it becomes clear that more of the community than just a fringe group feels it's ok to do so, that's when there's a problem.  That is ultimately what has led us here to where we are today, people who do take the time frankly feel as though they've been disregarded for the time they invest for the sake of having just more of the same released in rapid-fire, which satisfies some perhaps but at a cost if the people who made those things possible are harmed in the process.

If we as a community can consolidate this rift and return to a place of mutual respect for the end-user, alteration modders, and original creators the community will get stronger as a whole from this episode.  If it is to be that people believe some people should get special treatment, or that for the sake of having more mods out there the original creators can be disregarded just to keep the content coming, the original creators will cease to provide.  The end result of such a thing would mean nothing new for anyone to enjoy as everyone who can do it will move on to a less hostile environment for them.  The reason this community has stayed around so long is because of the mutual respect that as of late, has been neglected, and without it you have anarchy.

Hopefully people can learn to get along and recognize how things stand, and how they have to change to go forth and come to a consensus as to how to go about it, if people can't get along and agree then everyone as a whole will lose.

I don't put my 2 cents in often either, although I frequently read the posts on this forum.  I want to thank ALL those who have made vehicles, maps, and buildings from scratch for some amazing mods!  I have enjoyed all of them and hope that we will be able to continue to enjoy these in the future.  I am grateful to all of you for your contributions to this game!  I am not gifted in this area.  Tactically, I know my stuff when it comes to Law Enforcement and EMS which is what I do/have done in real life. I understand that you all have lives outside of modding..so thanks for taking time out of your lives to share something with us.  I hope that things will soon get back to normal here.  Thanks to the moderators for bringing order to chaos. 

All I can say is welcome to modding. This crap has been happening in the GTA community for years. What made people think it would not happen in the EM4 Community. I know of mods that have used my stuff without permission but I do not see the point of causing a controversy on a forum and that seems to be what a certain individual within the EMP Community has done and now you guys are having to go through and check it all out and enforce it.

I have to agree. If you mod for the public, expect everything that comes with releasing it to the public. More people will love and enjoy it than will abuse it, but we suffer for the actions of a few? If that's what we can expect, I'd say just shut down the forum. Thank you to all our modders, especially those that will continue. 

The problem isn't that a few people are abusing it, but the major problem is that many mods are using others' content without permission and not only do not credit, but refuse credit until absolute proof isn't presented. And because everyone else is pussyfooting around the words, I'll say it. Yes, Manhattan/Brooklyn mods were a major player for THIS particular mod, but they're not the only ones ever guilty. About once or twice a month the staff has to deal with mods using improperly credited models and scripts.

The largest issue that worries a lot of content creators (not just this team) is that the forum has a significant population who are totally opposed to any member who complains about copyright violations, and victimizes the offender time after time, instead of the original content creator. 

The easiest way to see all these major creators of ORIGINAL content here continue to release content here is to make it clear that you're not okay with copyright violations. If members rallied against the people who were stealing content, and those who were releasing someone else's content that was edited complied with copyright rules, it would be a more friendly community for content creators. 

Yeah we all want what we want right away, but no one wants to make it if they're not gonna be thanked for it. Acknowledged for it. Yes there is an expectation that people will take your content and abuse it. But there is also the expectation that you'll be supported when you cry foul. If the masses shoot towards crucifying YOU for saying your things are stolen, then why would you continue making things for them?

Saying thank you gets you some. Showing you support the content creators gets you much much more

Here is my opinion on the whole thing. Please don't take anything personal I'm just a person on the internet, ONE person, but anyways... 

I think that the violators acted very immaturely. Sure it was an honest mistake from a earlier version that they had not removed, but once they got called out on it they should have admitted to it apologized to not only the owner of the model, but also to the community for practically tearing it apart, and then removed the model and everyone gone on with their day. Then both mods would still be getting worked on, the EMP community wouldn't be at odds. I have been in a few other communities where this stuff has happened and eventually it irons out. I think we as a community need to come together, respect modders and each other and then hey one day we might get the awesome mods we've been waiting months for. I just hope the community becomes a creator friendly environment again so we can see the other spectacular mods that are now on hold come out on day. :)

Correct me if i'm wrong in this but is it allowed for a mod to be posted [WIP stage] even before all the permissions have been given? Its just up until release that all the permissions need to be approved before using that parties content in the mod correct? If so I say giving permission to use another parties content should be established first before allowing the post on the mod itself WIP stage. It's pointless for people to go through the process of making a mod and then have to completely stop it due to someone claiming ownership after going through the difficult work in a mod and then make the EMP community excited about its release. 

To sum up what I mean for an example is this: Giving someone a car first before they have their license or in this case letting someone make a mod first before getting permission to use another parties content.

Correct me if i'm wrong in this but is it allowed for a mod to be posted [WIP stage] even before all the permissions have been given? Its just up until release that all the permissions need to be approved before using that parties content in the mod correct? If so I say giving permission to use another parties content should be established first before allowing the post on the mod itself WIP stage. It's pointless for people to go through the process of making a mod and then have to completely stop it due to someone claiming ownership after going through the difficult work in a mod and then make the EMP community excited about its release.

To sum up what I mean for an example is this: Giving someone a car first before they have their license or in this case letting someone make a mod first before getting permission to use another parties content.

Ok so they switch it out, some people don't release them, but post them to see if they may get support to make them keep on going. AND then in the future maybe get permissions. But too say you don't have perms so don't post is dumb. Then no mods wouldn't be made.

What you're asking looks to me like you're asking if you need permission on a mod in progress. While technically you can do all the private edits in the world without permission, if you plan on releasing something, it's good to get the author's permission when you start working on their things. 

Generally many people are fine with sharing their content, the only exception being when people do very little (or no) work to change something and call it theirs. If you do work on something, people generally will let it with appropriate copyright provided. 

Shame to hear this mod is on hold. Besides the LA Mod, West Coast Canadian, and the older NY Mod this is probably the one I was looking forward to playing the most. Stupid mistakes make everything worst for everyone else.

I hope that NYC is resumed one day for the enjoyment of those who appreciate the hard work that's put into mods like these. Shame this happened to you guys.

D

I come back from my vacation (read "holiday") only to find that the mods I've played all these years have been sullied by those who wish to destroy the good names they stood for. I certainly won't say I'm the first to be disappointed to see discourse strewn about in what I considered a very respected and professional community, I had feared one day that GTA modding style tactics would be employed but I didn't think we were the kind of people to purpotrate that. I've only been involved in the most rudimentary of "modding", in that I simply alter what already exists, but anyone with common sense can describe what theft is. Interestingly enough, we aren't the internet police, and those who "break the rules" are simply told to right their wrongs and/or leave, but it doesn't fix, or improve, the community we all inhabit. These people build their reputations on trust, something you'd need to have to be considered a contributor to this community. I hope that we can get through these trials and come out better than we were. Thanks again to the continued support, contributions, and, above all, dedication these people have given to us, with no expectation of return.

Whatever comes of this, be-it mod or no mod, never settle.

No there is no need for larger boats than the final one.  The final vessels are quite large in their own rights. The Bravest and the Kane are quite large vessels Kane is 52 feet long and Bravest is 65 feet long.  These are not small vessels, and ultimately there are not many uses for vessels larger than that even in the original missions should one be so inclined.  The size of the vessel does not denote it's function, especially in this game and ultimately either of these two vessels we're discussing would be more capable than the original large fire boat.

Thanks Mikey, I think I worded my question wrong  :wall:  As you've said, its the capability that is important. Thanks :) (I know that the mod is on hold at the present time :(  )

Actually why is the US army mod pinned?

Because we're on a powertrip and entitled to do that

Because it was originally pinned in its old forum section. I just moved the topic to this section and it remained pinned when we were closing the other mod-sections. Thanks for pointing this out, you've been nominated for 'user of the month'. :)

• Upvote 1

so said to see such a good mod ripped apart by the community, you see this everywhere were a content creator gets mad about the smallest thinsg (Ex. a script) that other people put into a mod... hopefully this gets resumed soon :D

This is not really about the smalles thing. The creators are unwilling to release their content due to the fact that pretty much all of it (according to Mike's statement) will be stolen by the community.