EmergencyFan97

Computer Parts

I'm looking to start building my own desktop at some point in the not-too-far future. I want to be able to run most games on high settings, but I don't know what parts are best or anything like that. Assembling it won't be a problem, I have a few friends I can "motivate" to help me do that part.

So, if anyone could suggest parts (I'll need everything), or even forums for computer building and such, that would be fantastic.

Revisiting this topic.  Currently, I'm looking to run modded Skyrim on ultra as well as newer games on high/ultra.  I'm looking at getting a GTX 780 graphics card, and I've got 8 GB of RAM as a hard drive.  However, I have no idea on what kind of CPU, motherboard, or anything else to get.  Suggestions?

So I did some research, and I think I've settled on an Intel core i5-4690k CPU.  It's decently priced and it seems to be an excellent processor for the price.

The i5 4690k is a good choice.

Honestly, get a GTX 970. It's a better value than a GTX 780.

If your going to put money into your graphics card (which is important if you want to run most games in High detail) then spend the extra couple $$ on a current generation card.

Don't cheap out on the graphics card if high detail gameplay is your goal. While a last generation GFX card can play current games on highest settings, it might not next year. The extra $30 for a current generation card buys you at least another year or two of future proofing.

The i5 4690k is a good choice.

Honestly, get a GTX 970. It's a better value than a GTX 780.

If your going to put money into your graphics card (which is important if you want to run most games in High detail) then spend the extra couple $$ on a current generation card.

Don't cheap out on the graphics card if high detail gameplay is your goal. While a last generation GFX card can play current games on highest settings, it might not next year. The extra $30 for a current generation card buys you at least another year or two of future proofing.

So true. I can already notice my GTX 660 is struggling to keep up with the new games.

A 780 is a lot for Skyrim, even ENB ultra. However, it's not to the point where you shouldn't buy it; the 780 is extremely versatile as it has the newer gen features such as Shadowplay, better PhysX, nicer CUDA cores etc. That, and it's a high end card that could probably max out GTA V 2 times over, leaving it useful for a while, compared to AMD, whose cards tend to die off quite fast. A GTX 570 (my card) easily beats a 7850 performance wise for half the price. 

Generally speaking, the i5 series is a good place to start. 3770k, and the 4960k (which is extremely good value, it's a high end CPU at an enthusiast price). I sense you're not really on a tight budget here so the 4960k is the better choice. Motherboard isn't too important, some good brands are ASRock, MSI, Gigabyte, etc. HyperX is a good brand of RAM; if you can, get some 1600/1800mhz stuff, and about 8GBs of it. Any more is unneeded for gaming, but may help if you're into video work. Some extras include a GOOD (no cheap shit) PSU, try and get a 'Modular' one, with a single 12v rail. It needs to be at least 700w for a rig like that, I would say. Seasonic and Corsair make good PSUs, Corsair being a better budget option however these aren't as reliable. Have you got experience with PCs?