Officerrule

I don't understand...

I don't understand why there are veterans of the Emergency series acting as if Emergency 5 is going to be utterly bad. I don't remember this force of negative thought through the development of emergency 4, I don't understand what triggered this bad aura around this game...

The only thing I can think of that's been truly bad about this game is the marketing scheme and that isn't even done by Sixteen Tons, its as if your burning a company that made all of this possible with little reason at all, I understand apprehension into over-hyping a game that might not live up to extreme expectations but nether-the-less - the game is CONFIRMED to have better functionality compared to any of its predecessors by the developer studio themselves.

The screenshots given to us show the extremely enhanced graphic qualities of the game which Deep Silver and 16t have both said have not been edited in anyway. 

Interviews have confirmed more modding possibilities then ever before, through a completely new editor software which is easier to use.

Video has shown some of the game play during a development build of the game during Gamecom, and I was thrown away with the improvements too the game. 

They've mentioned the ability to upgrade and improve upon your base, they've mentioned brand new emergency scenarios like mountain rescues. New and improved AI systems...

There's most likely a lot more to this game, I just don't understand at all the complete negativity towards it - I mean It's as if you've given up on 16t completely as a development studio, that's what it feels like to me anyway.

Genuinely feel as if this community is slowly getting further and further away from each other.

(Also on a side note, I am also glad that models won't be able to be ported straight into the new game... I feel if it were possible modders would just recreate Emergency 4 in Emergency 5... which I think is personally a bit of an insult to the developers)

Are you referring to the posts in the RCMP topic?

In that case, we are just going on the belief of assuming the minimum and going from there. If it proves itself to be good beyond all of the publisher/developer statements, then we can say that it is good. But PR is PR and any developer (any business actually) would obviously only say positive things about a product they are about to release in order to build interest and make people buy their product.

I personally wont pass judgement on the game until I personally get to play with it. A lot seems promising though.

And the model thing isnt really an issue. Nobody here would bother recreating EM4 in EM5. Why not just stay in EM4 then?
If you mean you don't want any EM4 models being ported over to EM5, then don't expect any new models to come out immediately after release.

I have  to agree with Itchboy, but also because it looks alot promising, but not erveyone has that computer, you will need a brand new superstrong game pc. Not everyone has that. (Almost nobody)

Yeah thats something I forgot to take note of. Thats one of the points of the EM5 debate. All of that aweseomenes doesn't just cost the game, but for a lot of us, a whole new PC, myself included.

What has made most of us take the perspective we have taken is experience.  The devs of the game have came out with a few in between of EM4 and EM5, they were graphically improved in some ways but otherwise fairly useless to us as far as what we enjoy about the game.  For a user who just wishes to use the default gameplay, those games may have improved enough for them but for those of us that wish to alter it, they sadly left us disappointed.  The PR on the new game has been sporadic at best, that alone is a reason to pause and take the perspective of wait and see what it really has going on with it  From what I have seen thus far yes it is prettier, the editor being improved is something one would hope they managed to pull off, just look at the reality of the current editor and it's dysfunctional nature..

For me I am not going to assume they've made a system that is markedly improved from the limited official PR out about the game, while all the fanbase hype and speculation runs rampant.  I take everything as a grain of salt when it's soundbites because of the inherent method of madness in PR.  Sell all the strong suits of your product, down play the flaws within it, such is why movie trailers tend to show you the best portions of the movie without mentioning yeah this is about what you're going to get.  Most of us seasoned modders come from a mentality that graphical influence is nice, and certainly welcomed but it isnt our priority to just say wow that looks gorgeous and forget all about the actual function/gameplay.. To alot of us we want the game to be more immersive and engrossing, realize how disappointing it will be if EM5 comes along and it looks prettier, but most of the EM4 mods have far more function to them than this new prettier em5 comes out the gate with.  From there what you would want is the features added by the EM4 mods integrated to the EM5 game to make it more entertaining? 

IMO I take on the wait and see what all they have actually done to the product, where they have stepped forward, where they have stepped backwards, where it stayed the same.  Some of us go back to playing previous Emergency titles and have seen the progression (along with the occasional decline) involve in modding this game through EM3-4.  I want to see what it has working for it and against it rather than assuming they say x,y,z so it must be 200% better than what I see!

I don't really think you can compare the transition from Emergency 3 to Emergency 4, to 4 to 5. Think about the Jump from GTA San Andreas to GTA IV, it was a drastic improvement but it was also on an entirely new engine and optimized for newer more powerful consoles. Were we able to mod GTA IV?? Um heck yes! but it took time for modders to get accustomed to the new engine and game files in order to modify them. 

Now from what we have seen and been told******** that is what is happening here Emergency 5 has supposedly been built from the bottom up on a whole new engine. And while this is generally a good thing no one is familiar with it, so we have no  idea if current models and files will be able to be imported into the new game. Additionally we have no idea how to modify the game files and create new models and such because we haven't been able to play around with the game as of yet. 

So i agree with MikeyPI, we should really just err on the side of caution here until we can get our hands on the game and see what its truly all about. 

Well to use your own example, San Andreas to GTA 4, it got a new engine, new physics, was much more attractive to look at.. I give it that no doubt about it, but compared to S.A. as far as it's functions in-game go, 4 was sadly (out of the box mind you) a step backwards compared to S.A. The older ver of the game was just more engrossing with all the activities you could get into compared to 4's list of toys.. Now in 5 they've fixed much of this to make it much much better, but the same things could happen with EM5.  In an effort to make a new revolutionary system you can't expect them to go over the top in all avenues out the gate, so it may lose some functions, and gain some others.. That's the nature of an evolving product, some things come into it, some go...  This even happened in EM3 when it turned into EM4, some useful things were removed when it became 4, but alotta nice things were added that generally offset it (for players, as a modder I miss the old things).

What matters to me when it comes to this game in particular because of what I enjoy doing to it may not matter to other people out there (people for ex that want to do euro mods).  This is a fact of life in any mass produced product, but with this game in particular let's face the facts, most of the modders out there go for a "comprehensive" mod, not just a single model or script.. So the whole package really matters a great deal more when it comes to this game, not just pieces of the thing.  So I hold my judgement but I am very reserved on my expectations, thus I can't really be disappointed if it turns out that we have to re-invent the wheel the whole way around.

Onto a side note: I am fairly certain that most newer, updated mods WILL be able to port their models over into this new version of this game, however I believe that it will prob require some adjustments to the textures.  From what I see of the models from the pictures of the game I have to admit from a modeler's perspective they themselves do not appear as though they are really that much higher poly than what I'm used to seeing from emergency games.  What does look improved is the renderings and possibly the textures, which is fairly easy to fix when it comes to an existing model.  I have done it myself before where I've taken an existing model and changed the texture to a higher res one, this works fine if the model is accurate.  The only way that you need an insane complex model is for games like GTA4 where you do have dynamic damages occuring to the vehicles... In a game like EM5 I have heard/seen nothing of this sort, nor do I expect this will be the case, it just doesnt fit the genre..  So in the end I believe once it is figured out what process is required, people will be able to port in existing models, just hopefully they use good sense and don't try to port the really old ones that are very low poly.

Yea you are right in alot of ways GTA IV was a step backwards but they were working with an entirely new engine and new consoles so of course compromises had to be made. But you know i really didnt notice it ive always loved IV probably because i was just so amazed with the graphics but i do miss the larger map and GTA V really has the best of both games. 

Now with EM 5 they are working with a new engine but not really a new platform its still PC but just more advanced. So i really dont think they would have to compromise, but from what we have seen they kinda already have. The game looks great and you can tell the units are definitely higher quality but it doenst have that wow factor that say GTA V has.

I definitely dont think it would be a downgrade from EM 4 but like you said the big mods here are comprehensive and have drastically changed and improved the gameplay of EM 4. But it doesnt look like the developers put any of that into the game. It looks like they made it easier to edit and add new vehicles and such but what about the scripts and the stations and all the complex stuff that goes into a large scale mod. 

I really wanted to just see more vehicles and advanced game play features, not just a 2014 graphics update. 

Emergency 4 was a success because the way players get evolved whit the game and the emergency community.

And it is important to refer and not to forget the game was very improved whit the modifications the emergency community create and share for FREE to everyone.

Los Angeles Modification totally re-imagine the game concept of emergency 4 and gave us more than we can possible imagine when we bought the game. And that is thanks to Hoppah not to the Ralph Stock and team.

What the community did whit the Emergency 4 can do whit the Emergency 5 and 6, 7, 8... Modding for fun and for the people. Together Yes we can. 

Whilst I agree and so do they themselves agree that the modding community added to the game in leaps and bounds, if It wasn't for "Ralph Stock and team" you or I or anyone at all would have a game to be able to do this in the first place - once again getting that feeling your just flipping 16t off, they're giving you this opportunity, the LA mod wouldn't even be a thing without Emergency 4/3/2/1.

Will Emergency 5 live up to the expectations a few mods show in EM4 today? no, probably not, that is not because Emergency 5 is a bad game, that's because the mods go into depths that the team at 16t wouldn't be able to do without focusing their sale base too much. They've said we'll be able to mod Emergency 5 more and easier then any other Emergency game before; with the improved editor, an SDK, and with the new graphics engine and accompanying shadows and lighting effects giving an extremely improved visual immersion experience.

If it wasn't for 16t all of this wouldn't be possible at all, and people saying "graphics isn't everything" whilst I agree, it is still important to improve on previous games, having a better graphics engine allows for a more visually pleasing experience, in my opinion people started creating units way too high quality for Emergency 4, like putting a car from GTA V into San Andreas, it just graphically looks horrifically out of place and way too good graphically for the game it was put on. 

At least with Emergency 5 we WILL have amazing looking vehicles, personnel, equipment that all visually fit snug with the base game, as if they were made for the base game itself. 

I guess It's just annoying that 16t gets a lot of flack for things that the modding community already do, and have more time and less pressure to do. They're giving us a game that so far by information stated, videos witnessed, images seen is stunning, and I know people and going to love one way or another.

Also, yes, working on the assumption that something isn't going to be great means that you can never be disappointed, I guess I personally just don't look at life that way, whether I get scolded or rewarded is I guess a part of looking at life the way I do... 

Whilst I agree and so do they themselves agree that the modding community added to the game in leaps and bounds, if It wasn't for "Ralph Stock and team" you or I or anyone at all would have a game to be able to do this in the first place - once again getting that feeling your just flipping 16t off, they're giving you this opportunity, the LA mod wouldn't even be a thing without Emergency 4/3/2/1.

Will Emergency 5 live up to the expectations a few mods show in EM4 today? no, probably not, that is not because Emergency 5 is a bad game, that's because the mods go into depths that the team at 16t wouldn't be able to do without focusing their sale base too much. They've said we'll be able to mod Emergency 5 more and easier then any other Emergency game before; with the improved editor, an SDK, and with the new graphics engine and accompanying shadows and lighting effects giving an extremely improved visual immersion experience.

If it wasn't for 16t all of this wouldn't be possible at all, and people saying "graphics isn't everything" whilst I agree, it is still important to improve on previous games, having a better graphics engine allows for a more visually pleasing experience, in my opinion people started creating units way too high quality for Emergency 4, like putting a car from GTA V into San Andreas, it just graphically looks horrifically out of place and way too good graphically for the game it was put on. 

At least with Emergency 5 we WILL have amazing looking vehicles, personnel, equipment that all visually fit snug with the base game, as if they were made for the base game itself. 

I guess It's just annoying that 16t gets a lot of flack for things that the modding community already do, and have more time and less pressure to do. They're giving us a game that so far by information stated, videos witnessed, images seen is stunning, and I know people and going to love one way or another.

Also, yes, working on the assumption that something isn't going to be great means that you can never be disappointed, I guess I personally just don't look at life that way, whether I get scolded or rewarded is I guess a part of looking at life the way I do... 

You got a point, but you have to remember that nobody here explicitly stated that EM5 would be a steaming pile of shit.

We all have our hopes for the game. Some of us are just trying to play it safe with EM5.

You got a point, but you have to remember that nobody here explicitly stated that EM5 would be a steaming pile of shit.

We all have our hopes for the game. Some of us are just trying to play it safe with EM5.

I may have over-exaggerated a tiny bit to get my point across, its not so much people saying its a bad game, more just the feeling of a stigma around it. I would have thought people would be verbally really glad and excited that we're finally getting Emergency 5 in this community, the game that has taken 7/8 years to come out - I guess we'll start to see this excitement when the game is released. 

Offtopic: this is what companies like EA have done to the gaming industry, everyone's sceptical of games in development now rather then out-right excited for them, damn you EA, damn you to hell!  :dry:

It is from experience that most of us have learned to take a cautious approach.. It's one thing if you're playing the game out of the box and have no intentions to alter it, those games generally tbh take less in the way of framework to make a decent game.. When you get into ones that people can and will kitbash you can't get away with the same things within it.  16T is a budget title co for the most part, they tend to put out more what are considered "bargain" games compared to the 70 buck games that many other cos put out, so it's a wise thing to temper your expectations a bit if you're looking to alter the game.  Fact is we've seen/heard some of it, but we havent seen in-depth about it yet.. When it comes out we'll see what we get, even better after it comes out and any/all required patches are taken care of for it. 

Sad reality of gaming these days on pc is that they do love to put out products that need patching to fix issues, sad but it is how things have gone over the past decade for alotta devs.