Ace

Ottawa Gunfight

Here's some more information, as there appears to be a lack of understanding at this point. What I'm going to say is only confirmed fact at this point, no speculation:

Today, a Reservist Solider, Corporal Nathan Cirillo, on ceremonial guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier, similar to other national war memorials, as seen in the US with the Marine Honor Guard patrolling, was gunned down by a man namned Michael Zehaf-Bibeau. The assailant then took off to steal a vehicle at gunpoint, but did not injure the driver, before taking to the Parliament building. Armed officers gunned him down. It is widely accepted the man who killed the shooter was Sergeant at Arms, Kevin Vickers, a former police officer assigned as head of Parlimentary Security. This is still unconfirmed, and will likely not be confirmed ever, due to the mass amount of shots fired in the Parliament Hall in which the gunman was shot dead. A video posted online from a Globe and Mail reporter in the hall at the time shows at least 40+ shots being fired before it ceased. 

Police will not confirm nor deny that there is another gunman on the loose, however until further information has been received, standard protocol is to ensure there is no more risk. 

The military HAS NOT been called in to secure the area. The men in green fatigues and BDUs running around are wearing RCMP patches, and therefore are members of the police. Military cannot be deployed for combat on domestic soil without government approval, which has not happened.

The exact reason for this attack is unknown at this time, and it's not known if this is related to the raised terror threat level, or any of the ISIS threats made over the recent weeks. Right now, police forces are working to secure the scenes, evacuate the civilians and ensure the safety of Canadians not only in Ottawa, but throughout the country. 

One final note, the country is not on lock down. Downtown Ottawa was placed in a state of lockdown, which is where the shooting occurred. Military Personnel received orders that uniforms can only be worn if on active duty, and not at any other point for the time being. Also all military bases are closed to public access, and are in a state of lockdown as well. Many government offices, be it member offices, or legistlature/government houses are also closed for the time being. 

The media is treating this as a terrorist attack, however police have not confirmed this at this time, due to the weight that word carries, they want to be sure of what's happening. Police and security services are working closely now with the Canadian Secret Intelligence Service to try to figure out what exactly happened today. 

I'll check back in tomorrow with more information as it becomes known. 

And of all the guards, cops, SWAT troops and soldiers that were called in, in the end, here's the guy who took out the shooter:

921915-sergent-armes-kevin-vickers-abatt

Kevin Vickers, Parliament hill sergeant-at-arms (also, for the record, an ex-RCMP cop)

I'd like to think he did it wearing that kickass suit complete with the hat. A true hero nevertheless, a lot of people undoubtebly owe him their lives.

I am sorry for the fallen soldier. My condolences to the family.

Those guys on the picture are not soldiers, they are special RCMP Intervetion Unit. I have seen those uniforms during common trainings.

I hate Harper, but have to agree on his opinion against the ISIL and similiar scum.

The image about barricaded doors is not actually because government was sitting at the time. 

B0kEJNsIEAA4xsF.jpg

This is the image that was posted. This is from inside Parliament, in one of the party Caucus rooms. Wednesdays are when each party has their caucus meeting to discuss things, as well as when protest groups and lobbyists will come to the hill to voice their concerns. For that reason, the hill was virtually full today. 

What people are talking about, police in the government chambers is true, there were officers in the House of Commons, as seen below, securing the empty room, as was true with virtually every room on the hill. 

B0lBOspCMAEgG7j.jpg

Last night everyone around was locked in rooms like this for in excess of nine hours waiting for the all clear to evacuate. 

B0lY2y9IMAAxiYa.jpg

Finally, I saw something interesting on the CBC today. They have apparently received a dashcam video of the shooter hijacking the car he stole after fleeing. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa-shooting-dash-cam-video-appears-to-show-parliament-hill-shooter-michael-zehaf-bibeau-1.2809610

As I'm a firm believer of not glorifying the offenders, I will not be posting any pictures or his name again. 

As bad as it sounds I wouldn't be surprised if a police officer, soldier or member of the public in London (or any other city that's in a country playing a part in the strikes on ISIL) is kidnapped and beheaded etc. We've already seen plans like that foiled in London and Australia.

Tough time yesterday for Canada, Terror was in the air a brave solder (Cpl Nathan Cirillo ) lost his life to senselessness act of cowardliness violence.  His life did not go in vane, as his brother at arm's Sgt Kevin Vickers made that so. When one us go's down we all come to the aid our brother in need and will get our man. Rest in peace Cpl Nathan Criillo may time heel the wounds of your family and friends good bless Canada and United Stated of America we are all in this fight together. Remember always stay vigilante this a different world, time to fight back.....

post-14435-0-40093600-1414222408.jpg

Canada bombing people in the Middle East (Iraq, Libya, Syria etc.), no one cares...a crazy canadian commits a murder and everyone is raging. Canada and rest of NATO has no business in foreign countries.

You do realize that Iraq, Libya, and Syria have all formally asked for US and NATO help, right?

Well it's a double edged sword, to make mis-informed comments one way or another is a poor idea.  This whackjob from what I've heard of em was upset he couldnt go join in the conflict over in the middle east (they wouldnt give him a passport).  Logical response? shoot up everything like that'll fix it.. Not quite... Another whackjob that is amongst the many roaming around in any "free" society. Calling the acts of a looney terrorism is irresponsible imo, just as much as saying that this happens because the powers of the west poke into the mideast affairs (regardless of the red carpet rolled out for our assistance or not).  In both instances it's a fallacy that flat out isnt true.

The word terrorism imo is far too often overused to shadow the inconvenient fact of life.. There ARE whackjobs out there who independent and on their own course opt to do very stupid selfish things, and in the end preventing them from doing so isnt something the world really is prepped to handle.  They've done these type of stunts before, and will continue to do so regardless of what "changes" are made.  Under a free society you can't go round snatching ppl off the street because you think they may be a problem.  Domestic whackjobs have been and always will be a potent issue for the civilized masses, sorry to say but there isnt really a quick way to cure them.

Just because this one in his disillusionment felt that he should go join the conflict over there doesnt class it as an act of terror in my book.  Pure domestic nutjob will be my bid for this incident just as much as the kid that went nuts in his school in wash state.  Both these people deserve not an ounce of our time, nor will anything fruitful come out of trying to guess what went through their feeble minds in doing their actions.  People are messed up out there, some of them are willing to die to hurt others.  Fact of life =/