salvador.c

Best fire truck for urban areas?

Whats Up?

What is your favorite fire apparatus for urban areas and why?

I like american engines like Pierce KME American LaFrance and Ferrara. Although the Most functional for me are Rosenbauer specially AT Type. 

Dutch Trucks look cool, but the standard truck carry's less water than the other country's trucks usually do.

London Fire Bridgade - Mercedes Atego

Great manoveability through heavy traffic even if it is donkeys years old, very compact but still fits 6(?) Firefighters. Nifty little thing :D Carrys up to 1,365 litres of water. It also carries a 9M ladder if it is a pump and a 13.5M ladder if it is a pump ladder unit. Stations with two DPL's (dual purpose ladder) have one Pump and one pump ladder.

This is the point where I think I need to get a life ;)

London Fire Bridgade - Mercedes Atego

Great manoveability through heavy traffic even if it is donkeys years old, very compact but still fits 6(?) Firefighters. Nifty little thing :D Carrys up to 1,365 litres of water. It also carries a 9M ladder if it is a pump and a 13.5M ladder if it is a pump ladder unit. Stations with two DPL's (dual purpose ladder) have one Pump and one pump ladder.

This is the point where I think I need to get a life ;)

Love those trucks!

Small amount of water for a industrial situation or a defensive attack...  1365L for me at least 3000L to be good. Need to be independent of the hydrants. 

Love those trucks!

Small amount of water for a industrial situation or a defensive attack...  1365L for me at least 3000L to be good. Need to be independent of the hydrants. 

But in most of London there very rarely isn't at least 1 hydrant available. That's why they stopped carrying lightweight portable pumps :)

AHHHH SO MANY SHITTY EUROPEAN RIGS! MUST. OFFSET.

In relation to Question - A tiller because it is more maneuverable. Or really any of the trucks above.

Shitty, huh..?

I wanna see one american fire engine competing with Rosenbauer's AT3 or operating in an European city. An AT3 can operate everywhere, while on the other hand, if you put a North-American engine in one random european city, it would get stuck everywhere, more precisely in tiny and tight streets (a tiller couldn't even make the turn to the street without crashing into something).Deal_with_it_dog.gif

Watch this to expand your (little) knowledge about european emergency vehicles before insulting them.

On-topic: this one belongs to my VFD. It's kind of old but it still does the job. Carries about 1500 to 2000L.

10600538_820307284676236_816170801970136

But it's still beaten by the pumper in my signature, which carries 3000L, extrication gear, paramedic bags, etc. and it's also very compact, has all of the necessary equipment and  is really maneuverable, making it perfect for Lisbon's historical centre and operational area.

• Upvote 1

Shitty, huh..?

I wanna see one american fire engine competing with Rosenbauer's AT3 or operating in an European city. An AT3 can operate everywhere, while on the other hand, if you put a North-American engine in one random european city, it would get stuck everywhere, more precisely in tiny and tight streets (a tiller couldn't even make the turn to the street without crashing into something).Deal_with_it_dog.gif

Watch this to expand your (little) knowledge about european emergency vehicles before insulting them.

On-topic: this one belongs to my VFD. It's kind of old but it still does the job. Carries about 1500 to 2000L.

10600538_820307284676236_816170801970136

But it's still beaten by the pumper in my signature, which carries 3000L, extrication gear, paramedic bags, etc. and it's also very compact, has all of the necessary equipment and  is really maneuverable, making it perfect for Lisbon's historical centre and operational area.

Hey, I know you guys cant use our rigs due to your limited space, I was just saying they aren't my favorite and honestly look bad. They are also way too small. (Like I said, i know you guys cant have our big rigs.) We also have tankers which can carry around 6000 Gallons (22712.47 L)

Series: Pumper

Model: Side Control Pumper

Chassis: Spartan Metro Star

Specifications:

Side Control Pump Panel

Waterous CSU 1500 GPM Pump

Pro Poly 1250 Gallon Tank

Smart Power 6.0 kw Generator

Aluminum Body

Hinged Doors

7cc957d2-0cf5-4804-a790-3a1863d3894c_zps

I really think it's all a matter of the fire company choosing what will work best for their area. A lot of companies have a problem of going and spending a lot of money on new equipment that ends up really not being designed for their response area. They just want it so they can have the biggest, best, and fanciest toy. 

The Rosenbauer looks pretty nice, but the crew compartment must be ridiculously cramped. We can seat 6 in some of my department rigs, but realistically only 4 would fit with any sort of comfort.  

My fire Department (Seixal,Portugal) has 4 vehicles specialized on urban areas.

VLCI 02 (Light Pumper 02) - 2002 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. It has 400 litters, extrication gear, USAR equipment and Paramedic Bags. Its designed to intervention on historical centres and tiny spaces.

post-40124-0-83069100-1412779504_thumb.j

VUCI 01 (Urban Pumper 01) - 1995 Mercedes Benz LK. It has 5000L plus extrication gear. Also responds to floods and sometimes brush fires

post-40124-0-18111700-1412782051_thumb.j 

VUCI 02 (Urban Pumper 02) - 1998 Scania - It has 3000L and only respond to Urban and Industrial Fires.

post-40124-0-16149800-1412782263_thumb.j

VUCI 03 (Urban Pumper 03) - 2009 Scania - It has 3000L, Extrication Gear and Paramedic Bags. (Is my favourtie, mainly for the epic blue and red lights :) )

post-40124-0-89460100-1412782346_thumb.j

My local FD has some pretty nice units for urban firefighting

but this fast response unit is probably the ultimate urban firefighting vehicle because it is so small and agile

Also this large water tanker would be the equivalent to american firetrucks in Europe

post-59105-14127900017269_thumb.jpg

My departments rescue truck. Carries 750 gallons of water (2 839 liters) 35 gallons class A foam 35 gallons class B foam, everything needed for extrication (airbags, jaws, cribbing etc.) or to deal with hazard at motor vehicle accidents. 1500 GPM pump 2 pre connects(200ft and 150ft), about 1000ft of supply line and 500 ft 2 1/2 inch hose, pre piped deck gun (master stream/water cannon). It is also an ALS engine which means equipment for intubation and IVs as well as everything for BLS from band aids to backboards.

And on another note I know I would have a tough time(and by tough I mean I would probably hit everything) trying to navigate European streets in one of my departments apparatus, but I have no doubt that a Boston, or New York City operator could do it, or even the Montreal guys that cover old Montreal. Really any US or Canadian fire operator who works in an area of town that has the same layout/street size as when the city was first built could probably do it. And occasionally they have to shove cops out of the way

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1412789999.588621.jpg

My departments rescue truck. Carries 750 gallons of water (2 839 liters) 35 gallons class A foam 35 gallons class B foam, everything needed for extrication (airbags, jaws, cribbing etc.) or to deal with hazard at motor vehicle accidents. 1500 GPM pump 2 pre connects(200ft and 150ft), about 1000ft of supply line and 500 ft 2 1/2 inch hose, pre piped deck gun (master stream/water cannon). It is also an ALS engine which means equipment for intubation and IVs as well as everything for BLS from band aids to backboards.

And on another note I know I would have a tough time(and by tough I mean I would probably hit everything) trying to navigate European streets in one of my departments apparatus, but I have no doubt that a Boston, or New York City operator could do it, or even the Montreal guys that cover old Montreal. Really any US or Canadian fire operator who works in an area of town that has the same layout/street size as when the city was first built could probably do it. And occasionally they have to shove cops out of the way

That is amazing lol, that looked like a bad fire how long was that building on fire for?

TFFT-Main.jpg?width=678&height=311&ext=.

Now now don't say oh that would get stuck everywhere, fact is it would just run right over/through whatever was in it's way, thus making it an ideal urban ff vehicle.  Car on the corner? not anymore it isnt, it's under the wheels and being squished.  Building too close? It won't be once this is done with making the turn, it is not only a FF apparatus but an urban renewal tool.

1984-nissan-safari-jdm-spec-fire-truck.j

This thing is just weird.

03-09-06_020_9bfj.jpg

Not all American firetrucks are huge beasts. This department is isolated on their own island with very narrow streets. They actually used to have a golf-cart mini pumper. This is their support piece, and they run a min-pumper and a very small wheel base engine