Chris07

[Alpha][Unreleased]County of Northview

This has been my favorite mod for awhile, I'm thrilled to see it updated, but a little sad to see that this is the last one. 

A few questions: 

1. I know that this is the last update according to you guys, but if you ever were to find a fix for the parking script crashes would you be willing to at least update that in the future?

2. I love all the hard work put into the new ladder truck, but I personally loved the tiller. Is it possible to replace the truck with the tiller using the same directions above to replace E283 with a tanker? Is it also possible to add it to the startup script by editing it? Will this require editing of the virtual objects in the station?

3. I noticed that the new truck is not a "callable" unit in the vehicle selection menu, and there is no "unit" folder for it in the "Units/Vehicles/Fire Department" folder of the mod. If my #2 is not possible, how would I add the ability to call in multiple truck companies? (I like to RP multiple alarm responses to fires and major traffic collisions, which require additional truck companies)

4. How can I edit the speed of the new truck if there is no unit.xml file for it? Currently, mine is going about 2 mph. http://www.emergency-planet.com/uploads/emoticons/default_sad.png  FIXED

Thanks in advance, and thanks for making such an awesome mod. I look forward to seeing what your team has in store for the future. 

We've got something we think will be pretty good in the planning stages right now. Luckily we've been building up models and stuff for years to do this project. As per my philosophy, the world will only find out what it is exactly when we are near release, which at this point, is very far off.

1. If someone can find the cause I will gladly fix it, but I've already invested HOURS into cleaning up the code and debugging it, but can't quite figure it out. If you want to see something fun, I'll show you a video of an issue the script used to have but has since been fixed. It might seem like a simple script, but it took a lot of time with trial and error to get it to a "workable" point. It works most of the time, but it sometimes just starts acting crazy. I've played for over and hour without an issue before, and I've also played for 5 minutes and had a CTD, so it's a real head scratcher that I just don't have the time to revisit right now. If someone comes up with a solution or can pinpoint the cause, I will definitely show my gratitude.

2. We removed the tiller completely, so I would have to re-add it. Is it possible? Yes, but the parking script wasn't written to accommodate the tiller, so theoretically I could make it an optional unit, but who knows how it would behave with the parking script. Additionally, there is another script in our current working copy of the mod that wouldn't quite work well with the tiller.

3. The new truck SHOULD be callable. Out of convenience and mostly laziness, I just swapped it with the Tiller. If you click on the tiller quint icon on the list, then it should show the ladder truck. ,

Let me let you in on a little secret. No sooner had we discussed, decided, and announced that this was the final release, losangelesi was already making edits and throwing new crap into the mod. I kid you not. I just went on this whole PR spiel about "that's it. We're done." and he was already working on it again. Yea, that's right @losangelesi, I'm calling you out! Since I can't possibly get mad at that idiot, I jokingly now call our working copy of the mod "Northview: South County, losangelesi's Cut" (In reference to a "Director's Cut" of a movie). As of right now he's using it as a test bed for testing new objects and such for our next project, but he did express the possibility of releasing it well into the future. The truth is, I don't know what the future will hold, so I won't say that we will  or will not release an update. What I can say is that there may or may not be a growing list of things we need to fix or change if we came back to this. The bottom line is, treat this as the final update, that way you can be pleasantly surprised if we ever release something else.

• Like 2

Thanks @Chris07. My final cut is different and I've made it my personal playground. For now, its for my testing purposes because i ended up still not being 100% happy with final release because most of my time was consumed with the new truck. On that note, it allowed me to openly experiment and make more interesting things. 

In current state, the "update" is private. But, I may throw a screenshot here or there depending on progress. This was from some time ago now. I thought it would be fun to share.

received_2300649686829394.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/1/2018 at 10:30 PM, losangelesi said:

what clan is this? Our T.O.S says that it may not be used for any clan modification. Private use only. You may want to notify them.

I am one of the heads of Coastal Emergency Services and I have personally taken the link down. We had it made before 2.1 was released. We wanted to play it without the tiller and we got rid of the tanker. As you know that the tiller was really buggy in multiplayer and the tanker was practically useless without the limited water supply script.

On 8/18/2018 at 10:08 AM, mcflame1 said:

I am one of the heads of Coastal Emergency Services and I have personally taken the link down. We had it made before 2.1 was released. We wanted to play it without the tiller and we got rid of the tanker. As you know that the tiller was really buggy in multiplayer and the tanker was practically useless without the limited water supply script.

It was, that's why I spent over a week on the new truck, then we pulled the water tanker since it was useless without lws and put another engine in it's place.

Thanks fam, multiplayer is fine, we just don't want it being used as  a clan mod is all. Especially since I'm the hate mail taker. We greatly appreciate it!

• Upvote 1

Hello everyone. I am attempting to put out a patch for this mod's parking script. I may have found the issue but I need some of you to play with it for a bit and tell me if:

1. You get a CTD (My priority to fix)
2. It starts behaving really weirdly

I've played about 30 minutes without a CTD but that's not always reliable. So please. Try and break it!

If you get an error or CTD I NEED to know the following:

1. What exactly did you do that caused it to CTD? Rotate the marker? Bring up the marker by CTRL+R Click?
2. Upload your log file (I put a lot of debug information there to narrow down the origin of the error)!
3. Did you notice the script act oddly before it caused the CTD? If so, how so?
4. If you have a video of any weird behavior, that may be helpful as well!

I would really like MULTIPLE people to try this out, that way I can see if there is any pattern to the CTD or errors.

Ultimately I'm going to need to rewrite this script for any future projects. This implementation is a bit too ambitious/complicated and has been a real nightmare to debug (about 16+ hours of headaches). My goal is to try and at least fix this. If you're still getting CTD I'm going to have to re-implement this script with a rewrite.

The patch to test is attached to THIS post. Simply replace the included scripts and play as normal.

Northview - South County v2.1.0.zip

Northview - South County v2.1.0.zip