A_StandardToaster

Volume "stacking" problem

I posted a similar question a few months ago, but no one seemed to have the same problem as me.

My problem is that when two or more instances of one sound effect, for example: clanking noises during rapid deploy, spraying water sounds, are playing at the same time, the volume of each instance seems to "stack".

To give a hypothetical scenario that's a little more clear: let's say I take an engine and remove all of the personnell. I equip all of the FF's with hoses but only connect one. This FF starts spraying the water and the volume of the sound effect is normal—equal to all the other sound effects. However, if a FF connects a second hose and starts spraying at the same time, the water sound effect is twice as loud as the first, and much louder than anything else in game. A third line is three times as loud, and so on. This happens with any of the sound effects with multiple instances playing at once such as sirens, doors opening and closing, etc.

This occurs with all mods and in vanilla. Freeplay, campaign, and multiplayer as well. Does anyone else have this problem?

Your sound card is the culprit, it doesnt have great control over the channels so perhaps the easiest solution would be to open the sound settings in windows and adjust the output of your soundcard so that it is either a lower bit channel and/or mono output. Perhaps disable the ability of applications to take control and override the settings of the soundcard.