jakebrdlyref

U.S. COAST GUARD MOD

If we're talking about IP, I'm assuming you didn't actually get permissions from the various vehicle manufacturers or emergency departments to use their designs.

I don't really know why you're kicking up the fuss, but yeah we didn't get the individual permission, but should we slander against their product or use logos without consent the proper owners would be well within their rights to ask us to remove their logos even from photos especially from mods. But this seems rather trivial, but if you'd like to continue be sure to take it to PM, I'm sure the year I had to study international copyright law will make for an interesting debate ;)

x

May I remind everyone of the rules that apply here? http://forum.emergency-planet.com/topic/11232-model-use-policy/

As far as I'm aware, no link has yet been posted to download this mod, so it is in the clear as far as I'm concerned and all the fighting/cursing is unnecessary at best.

Jakebrdlyref, it is however a good practice - and appreciated in this community - to give credit to the authors of the models that you use in your pictures. It acknowledges their work, puts it in the spotlight, and, more importantly, clears confusion and suspicion - as we've just seen. Also, always be careful in your wording not to give the impression that the models were entirely created by you.

For the record, I made the Hitron (Dolphin) chopper and the Coast Guard light patrol boat that appear in your pictures. You have my permission to use them in your mod if you want. 

Best of luck with your mod,

Voodoo

Also guys, from reading his post he hasn't actually called any of the models "shit" instead what he's saying is he was never going to release the mod with other peoples work in.

It's just the way its worded, to put it into perspective. If my mate had left loads of stuff around on the floor I would say "pick up your shit". I'm not calling his stuff shit but It's just a way of saying pick up your stuff.

Also guys, from reading his post he hasn't actually called any of the models "shit" instead what he's saying is he was never going to release the mod with other peoples work in.

It's just the way its worded, to put it into perspective. If my mate had left loads of stuff around on the floor I would say "pick up your shit". I'm not calling his stuff shit but It's just a way of saying pick up your stuff.

I think the operative word being friend, referring to people's work like that on the internet is entirely different, even if the intention was harmless it's extremely disrespectful.

I don't really know why you're kicking up the fuss, but yeah we didn't get the individual permission, but should we slander against their product or use logos without consent the proper owners would be well within their rights to ask us to remove their logos even from photos especially from mods. But this seems rather trivial, but if you'd like to continue be sure to take it to PM, I'm sure the year I had to study international copyright law will make for an interesting debate ;)

Well, it's nothing personal, I just don't like copyright bullying. It just stretches the limit of common sense that someone could be forced to "destroy" an image when someones IP is a part, but not the whole, of it. Imagine a picture taken in public, or your own house, and how many people (more likely large companies) own the likenesses you'd capture. It's not a matter of what the laws say; it's that those laws are anachronistic, bloated, and heavily favor the rich and powerful. But, even if I were up for a debate, this isn't the time or place.

Yes the copy right law. Guess what we are in violation of that.  Any think with a City logo or Department name  is a violation of the copy right law. They all have copy right protection. 

Except for Federal agencies, I believe. Those still have to go into the public domain as a government work, but all other state and local works can be protected.

As far as I'm aware, no link has yet been posted to download this mod, so it is in the clear as far as I'm concerned and all the fighting/cursing is unnecessary at best.

Yes, it seems the response was more in line for a mod that was pretty much packed and ready to go with no time set aside for gathering permissions.

It was nice to see some WA State action in a mod, so I hope this doesn't end up falling apart.

Ok so clearly some people clearly take this stuff wayyy too seriously. First off, yes people are correct about shit. To people who are not familiar with the military and those of us who have been in combat, we refer to everything as "shit". "Grab your shit" "Clean that shit" "Keep your shit tight" are commonly used. For the tender-hearted folks out there, yes, shit could be interpreted as calling your models bad. However, if I thought they were shit, why would I be using some of them? Nuff said on that. Also, what you thought(from the quality of the pictures) were some of your models are NOT. The "impala" is actually a 2012 Chevy Caprice created by ME. The CVs that everyone has sent me messeges claiming they are theirs, are NOT. My CV model only has 2 working doors. Created by ME as well. My charger is shorter(if you saw them side by side you could see) and has no working doors. F-150 is also mine(has working tailgate). Models used from people: mostly from LA mod(which I stated earlier) most of the FD units, Tahoe, USCG boat and helis, and all people. Miami mod I used the dolphin and stingray. FUN FACT: it is an MH-68 STINGRAY. "HITRON" is an acronym for the specialized unit that used to operate them. I say used to because the MH-68 is not in service anymore. Helicopter Interdiction Tactical Squadron "HITRON". All operations have shifted to the HH-65 now. So from here, if anyone who owns the FD units, USCG RB-S, Helo's, Tahoe, or people, let me know and they will not be in the final version of the mod. Otherwise, show your ignorance somewhere else.

Ok so clearly some people clearly take this stuff wayyy too seriously. First off, yes people are correct about shit. To people who are not familiar with the military and those of us who have been in combat, we refer to everything as "shit". "Grab your shit" "Clean that shit" "Keep your shit tight" are commonly used. For the tender-hearted folks out there, yes, shit could be interpreted as calling your models bad. However, if I thought they were shit, why would I be using some of them? Nuff said on that. Also, what you thought(from the quality of the pictures) were some of your models are NOT. The "impala" is actually a 2012 Chevy Caprice created by ME. The CVs that everyone has sent me messeges claiming they are theirs, are NOT. My CV model only has 2 working doors. Created by ME as well. My charger is shorter(if you saw them side by side you could see) and has no working doors. F-150 is also mine(has working tailgate). Models used from people: mostly from LA mod(which I stated earlier) most of the FD units, Tahoe, USCG boat and helis, and all people. Miami mod I used the dolphin and stingray. FUN FACT: it is an MH-68 STINGRAY. "HITRON" is an acronym for the specialized unit that used to operate them. I say used to because the MH-68 is not in service anymore. Helicopter Interdiction Tactical Squadron "HITRON". All operations have shifted to the HH-65 now. So from here, if anyone who owns the FD units, USCG RB-S, Helo's, Tahoe, or people, let me know and they will not be in the final version of the mod. Otherwise, show your ignorance somewhere else.

Get fraps and upload some pics because I'm almost certain that CV is Nnicos, but whatever, moral of the story treat people's stuff with respect and they'll be supportive and cool, but even if the military gives you an excuse language is frowned upon on a community like this, just watch what you say.

Oh and yes according to the law, anyone who has created a model with a logo on it(Ford, Chevy, LAPD, etc.) has committed copyright infringement. If you were to sell them(instead of free download) you could be punished by 10 years in federal prison and $250,000 fine. BUT, because no one on emergency planet receives "monetary gain" from their mods, no one is guilty. Nuff said on this guys.

Oh and yes according to the law, anyone who has created a model with a logo on it(Ford, Chevy, LAPD, etc.) has committed copyright infringement. If you were to sell them(instead of free download) you could be punished by 10 years in federal prison and $250,000 fine. BUT, because no one on emergency planet receives "monetary gain" from their mods, no one is guilty. Nuff said on this guys.

I didn't want to continue this discussion, but that statement is fundamentally wrong, money has nothing to do with it, replicating the copyrighted content is when the infringement occurs.

Copyright is as it sounds - the right to copy, therefore anyone who does so without owning copyright or being granted copyright is infringing. But the bottom line is major companies wouldn't ever try to enforce this on people like us, but when it comes to intellectual property of person v person that's when the community has an issue. 

But this seems irrelevant so long as you just treat modders with respect you'll be fine.

Ok, so, can we knock it off already? And please stop bringing copyright arguments into this, everyone, and focus on this site's rules.

As I stated, no download has been made available yet, so this whole argument is useless.

When we have doubts about model theft, rest assured that we thoroughly run extensive model and texture comparisons with modding software to expose thiefs - screenshots are not sufficient to do so.

So please, back to topic, before I start handing warnings.