Guest Gamesfunk

FAQ about translating EM4

Guest Gamesfunk

Q: I don't know the language that I want to translate from or into very well. Should I go on anyhow?

A: I would recommend you wouldn't. A good translation is a must and if you can't make one, don't try. Also the regular automatic translator programs, don't even start about it.

UPDATED FOR DELUXE

Q: How can I translate the game?

A: There are several steps you need to do (not entirely in correct order, so WIP).

1. Find the language folder.
    French version: \Emergency 4\lang\fr
    German version: \Emergency 4\lang\de
    Deluxe version: \Emergency 4 Deluxe\lang\de
  2. Find a good XML viewing and editing program.
    Notepad will work, of course, but I would recommend a program which colours every aspect. I would recommend Microsoft's (yes, that company) Frontpage. It's clear and does the job fairly well.
  3. Save your progress regularly.
    It may occur, whatever the reason, that the program you work in might crash, due to the program or other programs. The language files are quite long, if you've worked hard and it crashes, you will have to start from the beginning. Trust me, doing it all over again, pi$$es you off.
  4. Spelling and grammar checking is a must.
    Although you are good at using a language, grammar or spelling mistakes always occur. Use a spelling and grammar checker to check if you've done it right.
  5. Check for the UTF-8 line.
    Sometimes a XML-program adds this line. Open up Notepad, delete the line and save it.
  6. Make backups.
    No explanation needed, right? Do it after every finished language file.
  7. Run the XML-files with IE or Firefox.
    It will indeed say that you shouldn't run it, because it might have dangerous code. Believe me if you only translate, it doesn't. Also it will automatically search or find errors.

Q: I've lost a language file. What do I need to do?

A: It's a little file. Ask someone who has the same language version to send the file to you and begin translating it, again.

===

Questions or additions?

Post them in the FAQ translation questions topic, or PM me!

@ moderator 1: lock and add it yourself or give me permission to change/edit posts in this topic.

@ moderator 2: a FAQ forum would be nice!

G.

===

last update: 22th of October, 2008

Guest Gamesfunk

I had a translation ready for EM4 in English and my computer died on me... but that was a long time ago. Now I'll start again, and I will use this topic to give updates about the mod. Wish me luck that my fans don't die on me again...

G.

Guest Gamesfunk

LAST UPDATE: 22 OCTOBER 2007

This is the list of files which needs to be translated. All files that are printed in bold have been finished.

Note on the poi.xml, this will not be modified in v1.0, maybe in v2.0.

• command.xml
  • events.xml
  • fail.xml
  • gui.xml
  • hints.xml
  • infotexts.xml
  • ingamehelp.xml
  • mainmenu.xml
  • mission.xml
  • missiontips.xml
  • missiontitles.xml
  • objectives.xml
  • poi.xml
  • portraits.xml
  • quest.xml
  • score.xml
  • strings.xml
  • supervaward.xml
  • supervevents.xml
  • superveventsobj.xml
  • supervfail.xml
  • supervobj.xml
  • supervquest.xml
  • supervresult.xml
  • supervtut.xml
  • talk.xml
  • tutorial.xml
  • voices.xml
  • credits.xml

Total of 3 files of 29 files translated.

This is the list of files which needs to be translated. All files that are printed in bold have been finished.

Note on the poi.xml, this will not be modified in v1.0, maybe in v2.0.

• command.xml
  • events.xml
  • fail.xml
  • gui.xml
  • hints.xml
  • infotexts.xml
  • ingamehelp.xml
  • mainmenu.xml
  • mission.xml
  • missiontips.xml
  • missiontitles.xml
  • objectives.xml
  • poi.xml
  • portraits.xml
  • quest.xml
  • score.xml
  • strings.xml
  • supervaward.xml
  • supervevents.xml
  • superveventsobj.xml
  • supervfail.xml
  • supervobj.xml
  • supervquest.xml
  • supervresult.xml
  • supervtut.xml
  • talk.xml
  • tutorial.xml
  • voices.xml

Total of 0 files of 28 files translated.

I could try to help if you would like to, just say it to me ;) unless you would like to do it yourself, I respect that :P

What sense has it to translate the regular one if the regular one only works 90% on deluxe while the deluxe works 100% on the normal?

well, you may have a point there but then i could be of no assistance :blush:

@gamesfunk

i translated this so far:

<string name="POI_FGRR_01">To lift an \ objectN \nSelect a crane which is not already occupied. In the action bar, click on the icon "Raise object". The objects which can be raised are now highlighted. Then click, using the right mouse button, on the desired object to lift it.</string>
<string name="POI_FGRR_02">To drop a lifted \ objectN \n Select a crane which is not already occupied. click the action bar, click on the icon "Drop object". Then click, using the right mousebutton, on the desired location.</string>
<string name="POI_FGRR_03">To lift an \ objectN \n out of the water, select a crane which is not already occupied. In the action bar, click on the icon "Raise object". Then click , using the right mouse button, on the buoy that the diver attacthed to a submerged object. The crane will raise the object out of the water by clicking the rightmouse button, when the object is raised click on the desired location and the crane wil place the object there. </string>

I think it will take a while for everything to be translated :sleep::happy: , I don't know how you translated the icons but i will use this for now I hope you like it :P

I will also try to finish this weekend but i'm not sure if i can do it :blush:

too many translations and not enough copies of the game ;)

i had started translating em4 deluxe but not sure if people would use it or not so stopped as i felt it would be a waste of my time ;)

Guest Gamesfunk

I am aware of the problem with the deluxe and original incompatabilities, but it seems that a really small amount of people who cannot understand the deluxe edition has that edition. Therefore I find it more useful to translate the normal version. If more people would want to have the deluxe edition translated, you would have to wait until I release the normal version, then I'll see what I'm going to do with the deluxe.

I don't know how you translated the icons but i will use this for now I hope you like it :P

Well done sofar, Ronnie, thumbs up! :1046275747_biggthumpup:

Now about the icons, what are you talking about?

G.

there arent any (or many?) icons that need to be changed as its text overlayed onto a blank image isnt it? ...on the main menu thats how it goes anyway and other images are picture based so dont need changing

there arent any (or many?) icons that need to be changed as its text overlayed onto a blank image isnt it? ...on the main menu thats how it goes anyway and other images are picture based so dont need changing

You even cant change the images or it will not allow you to join multiplayer ;)

I am aware of the problem with the deluxe and original incompatabilities, but it seems that a really small amount of people who cannot understand the deluxe edition has that edition. Therefore I find it more useful to translate the normal version. If more people would want to have the deluxe edition translated, you would have to wait until I release the normal version, then I'll see what I'm going to do with the deluxe.

Well done sofar, Ronnie, thumbs up! :1046275747_biggthumpup:

Now about the icons, what are you talking about?

G.

the icons in the action bar :P ,when you put your mouse pointer over it, it will give a description. i mean i don't know how you translated that. the poi.xml is about giving information (which you already knew :P ) however it keeps talking about the commands in the action bar :happy: that's what i mean :rolleyes:

:edit: omg this is so much work :Oo i'm now working 45 minutes on it and i just translated 4 more descriptions :Oo i'm very sorry but i don't think i can finish this weekend :blush: however if i keep working on it i must get it done before wednesday :( i hope that is okay with you or do you really want it this weekend, then i must work 24 hours a day :P

Guest Gamesfunk
the icons in the action bar :P ,when you put your mouse pointer over it, it will give a description. i mean i don't know how you translated that. the poi.xml is about giving information (which you already knew :P ) however it keeps talking about the commands in the action bar :happy: that's what i mean :rolleyes:

:edit: omg this is so much work :Oo i'm now working 45 minutes on it and i just translated 4 more descriptions :Oo i'm very sorry but i don't think i can finish this weekend :blush: however if i keep working on it i must get it done before wednesday :( i hope that is okay with you or do you really want it this weekend, then i must work 24 hours a day :P

No problem, Ronnie, I don't intend to release this in a few days. Take your time ;).

About the text with the icons, it is just another xml file in the lang folder. Anyway, I will fully crosscheck any references in any file, so that no 'mismatch' errors are made.

G.

No problem, Ronnie, I don't intend to release this in a few days. Take your time ;).

About the text with the icons, it is just another xml file in the lang folder. Anyway, I will fully crosscheck any references in any file, so that no 'mismatch' errors are made.

G.

owh ok, i'll still try to finish before wednesday then ;):P

Guest Gamesfunk
owh ok, i'll still try to finish before wednesday then ;):P

It's your choice.

For one's who wondered by so many files already have been finished, I've found an attachemnt to a mail send to myself, which included some files, which have been finished. So don't get your hopes up just yet.

G.

Maybe a usefull tip for everyone who is translating from German to English (or vice versa):

English-German Dictionary

It even knows the abbreviations of the English and German emergency vehicles, so I thought it might come in handy, I used it myself and I can recommand it to everyone who has trouble understanding the German/English terms.

greetings,

Pyrothijs

I just stumbled upon this forum, and i have to say that i played this game a lot about two months ago. The thing which got to me though, was the lack of English. I do not have the game installed at this time, but if you need any help at all translating, i will be glad to help out. Just tell me if there is anything i can do.

Edit: Well, i just saw that i was a bit fuzzy :P

What i meant was that i'll be glad to help translate from the machine english to regular english, sorry for the fuzziness :P

Guest Bruce563

I am glad that someone is doing this.

Hope it is still going well, im hopefully going to get em4 but going to use LA Mod.

If i get the game before you finish i could help but i don't know much German, so i will have to use a translator or something, but thats not yet.

Also what are you translating it from German of French version, so i know what it will work on.

Keep up the good work.

Guest Bruce563

I am stuck i am translating the "gui" file, and i came apon this

<string name="ID_TOOLTIP_SEATS">Sitzplätze Fahrzeuginneres</string>

I used google translator and it cam up with

Seats Vehicle Interior

and i do not have a cluse how to change it so it makes sence, is it: -interior vehicles seats

-vehicle interior seats

Which one is correct?

also

Ausrüstungsgegenstand

what does that mean

and

Anzeige