Hoppah

[EM4] Los Angeles Mod bugs, issues and problems

Ok there are Traffic Jams, and it gets really annoying when you try to redirect a car, but it wont move. Just stays there. This happens every now and then and it might be a bug.

I know its not a multiplayer bug, because I tried the L.A map in freeplay and eventually when theres a jam and you try to redirect a certain car it wont turn around just stays there. Nothings blocking it, its just being stubborn. Uaually to fix it I have to move my cop car, let 3 cars pas, then the cars will start to redirect.

Any fixes for this?

Guest madforce
Ok there are Traffic Jams, and it gets really annoying when you try to redirect a car, but it wont move. Just stays there. This happens every now and then and it might be a bug.

I know its not a multiplayer bug, because I tried the L.A map in freeplay and eventually when theres a jam and you try to redirect a certain car it wont turn around just stays there. Nothings blocking it, its just being stubborn. Uaually to fix it I have to move my cop car, let 3 cars pas, then the cars will start to redirect.

Any fixes for this?

Yeah there a few known issues in that thread that have been discussed regarding traffic.

#1 Traffic that has been redirected can not be redirected a second time.

#2 Some of the paths will send a redirected car back on the wrong side of the road, and cause a traffic jam due to making a left turn from the right lane. You then have to redirect the traffic that wasn't previously redirected to clear the way for the cars that are making the improper turn that no longer respond to redirect commands.

Common answer is to not redirect, but I use it pretty liberally during an incident and keep a close eye on the two intersections where problems may arise. I previously had the issues corrected by adjusting the path's in the editor that changed those routes so they wouldn't be back in that left turn/right lane situation when redirected and by adding a few additional stop lights (pay close attention to timing). I since overwrote my edited map and just haven't gotten back around to adjusting the paths.

Speaking of paths, there are a few vehicles that tend to be more susceptible to hanging I find best removed from the paths as well, the metro bus(has gotten hung a couple times) and the large box trucks, twinkle truck seem to have some issues at times so I dropped those from the paths.

The only other traffic issue is the jams created by units on patrol, and thats easily solved by manually using the standby or adding additional parking spaces for units at the station or various spots on the map.

Anyhow, they are known, and have been noted, those are just a few suggestions.

Removing the too large vehicles, adjusting a few paths, and adding a new light or two corrected any redirect issues I had previous. The only issue that wasn't able to be resolved were units on patrol causing jams, but that's easily bypassed by just not letting units freely patrol very often with additional standby spots..

This is some thing I been wondering for ages. That is one of my game play issues...

Why the "Jaws of Life" not on any other LAFD units? You always have to call the CoFD Equipment truck.

I find it odd that the LAFD not having some kind of equipment truck or carry the jaws on one of the engines?

Other than that... The "Oil Rig Fire" mission is too hard to get a 100% with Ver. 1.9

I think back in Ver. 1.5 it was easier some how... One problem is getting to tech guy on the Rid. Because no tech copter.

Their has to be some kind of engineer that can be deploy by copter. Not sure LAFD has a engineer that trained as a Fireman too.

But I know Military such as the Coast Guard and Army. Would have a trained engineer to handle things like Dams and Oil Rigs.

We don't carry them on the BLS because it's made as a solid firefighting engine, with basic supplies on board. ALS, US&R, and ladders carry them, because their more used for rescue/life saving. Also, not on smaller units, because of the hydraulic lines.

The engines do not carry them, Ladder trucks, USAR Trucks, and rescue trucks carry them :)

And ALS.

Here in Southern California engines only carry cutters and spreaders (Jaws of life) if they don't have a truck in there district. LAFD will usually respond a Ladder truck or a USAR team for any type of TC (traffic collision) because they have all the tools needed for an extrication. They can always be canceled if not needed. Although the game only uses the Jaws, in real life we use tools such as cribbing and airbags to lift cars if needed. These tools are usually kept on these units. This leaves room on the engines so that there compartments aren't cluttered. My department only has engines and one heavy rescue so we keep the Jaws on each engiene so that we aren't waiting for our one rescue to show up. If it is a more advanced rescue, we can start until the rescue shows up with additional tools.

So this is done in the game to make it realistic

I'm almost positive that the coast guard chopper has a tech in it. you just have to let him out. the guy in it can act as a tech

You got here before I did XD in city, it's carried on ALS due to the fact that a ladder is harder to get through heavier traffic, and to park close enough. US&R's are stationed around seldomly, so, unless a US&R is close, or it's life threatening, other vehicles must be equipped to do the job. Time is an enemy in injury.

You are 100% correct sir!

That's especially an issue on the 10, Rescue can't always get to the freeway as fast, so, we have our paramedic license, so we can 1. pop doors, cut roofs 2. Start immediate resuscitation. Big city=more usage of equipment, but 1 thing that I don't think is completely portrayed, even though it's a game is, all LAFD firefighters must be Paramedics. Even if you have an EMT cert, they put you in Paramedic school, because otherwise, your not in the LAFD. No FF/EMT's, all FF/Paramedics. Just not with bags on all of us XD

Hmmm... I haven't had a resolution problem... Care to elaborate on what happened?

I had black bars running down the sides of the screen no matter what resolution i used.

Off topic: right when I was typing this, DirecTV called, and it sounded just like my dad, so, I asked if it was my dad messing around. The guy didn't do anything except keep trying to sell me the sports package XDXDXD ok, back to topic.

I used to be one of those guys. It sucks but the money is really good. Made Minimum wadge but for every sell you make you get $15 up front commission and another $5 once the installer activates there service. One sale a day and your bringing home almost $400 a week for talking on the phone all day. Actually talked to a FF from Cali one time and we were talking about Em4 and the La mod LMAO!

And ALS.

Since when, mikesphotos hasnt been around for a bit but last he said they werent carried on the ALS rigs(i think).

Really bad traffic jams .You can't move anywere .You can't get anywere .I have tryed eveything from cops moving traffic to dirbar on cop cars ;) dude it is really bad .Eather downsize on the cars and truck on the streets our do something .But all I can say about the mod is sweet .All the new cars .Wow .What a great job now that feals like US.Great work . :)

Guest madforce
I have no major traffic problems caused by redirecting. Hell I rarley have traffic issues ever so im totally lost as to how people are still having such major issues with the second patch.

I don't have major issues, but once in awhile cars get 'hung'. If gone unnoticed, it can be problematic. I think most are getting in a situation where they have redirected multiple paths and they cross and hang, then they become unresponsive and you end up in viscous cycle of clearing that one, and in the time it took you to clear it, another jam occurred farther back up the map. I had 'hangups', but havn't had the immovable issue which largely occurs from redirecting on the two main highways/roadways.

I took a shot of where the hangups tend to occur, and the most problematic spot if you redirect liberally, especially off the main roadways where you can end up with a immovable jam. It doesn't always occur, but certain vehicles especially increase the chances, namely the wider/longer one.

Car 10 path by the PD...

car10s.jpg

Car09 path at main intersection

car09b.jpg

Both can be corrected by narrowing these paths to three lane width so the return path ends up in the left lane, instead of the far right.

car09fix.jpg

Also, I'd like to note that I remove the metro bus, and the large box trucks. The Transport and twinkle trucks. Those vehicles have a higher tendancy to hang, even in other spots on the map when traffic meet, the smaller normal sized cars tend to be able to clear themselves. Once I make those changes, I rarely have issues even with fairly liberal redirecting. You may want to add a light or two in some certain spots, you just have to be very mindful of timing so that the light keeps up with incoming outgoing flow in my experience.

Guest madforce
Really bad traffic jams .You can't move anywere .You can't get anywere .I have tryed eveything from cops moving traffic to dirbar on cop cars ;) dude it is really bad .Eather downsize on the cars and truck on the streets our do something .But all I can say about the mod is sweet .All the new cars .Wow .What a great job now that feals like US.Great work . :)

Just make sure you applied Patch 2, which eliminates many of the issues, the remaining are some we are discussing here which you may be able to edit or see if it's important enough to warrant an official fix in another patch down the road.

Cars cause traffic james when they are redirected. If you don't want traffic jams then don't redirect traffic :P

I'm getting so sick of this answer every time someone speaks of traffic issues. Leave the response to those who have worked around the issue to help those that it's really bothering. If it doesn't bother you, then fine, you don't have to redirect, but the issues most describe have a simple work around that would enable them to largely not have to worry as much when using the redirect function.

I personally, and I'm sure others would much prefer to get it working, so we can keep traffic flowing. In many locations if you have an incident, and don't redirect you can seriously inhibit the flow on other major roads which will impede other emergency vehicles from getting to and from the scene timely or put civilian vehicles in harms way (fire) and then you start a wonderful chain reaction of exploding cars and impede your ability to properly get to/deal with the next call.

Guest madforce

Haven't noticed any problems at all with the la bridge, I never even have a reason to send a unit onto the bridge, the farthest is the wreck right before the bridge and any traffic redirection occurs at the traffic signal after vehicles cross the bridge.

The only ongoing traffic issues that don't involve patrolling cars are the ones we talked about and provided screenshots earlier in the other thread, http://forum.emergency-planet.com/index.php?showtopic=8639, adjusting those paths stop the improper turns and limit potential 'hangups. So much I actually increase traffic and have added additional paths to increase the 'life' and traffic flow especially on the main roadways.

The "Oil Rig Fire" mission is too hard to get a 100% with Ver. 1.9

I think back in Ver. 1.5 it was easier some how... One problem is getting to tech guy on the Rid. Because no tech copter.

Their has to be some kind of engineer that can be deploy by copter. Not sure LAFD has a engineer that trained as a Fireman too.

Yeah. The USCG Heliopter is the TECH helicopter. The USCG dude inside is like an engineer,

Any fixes for this?

Merged topic with bug report topic from this topic on

I don't have major issues, but once in awhile cars get 'hung'. If gone unnoticed, it can be problematic.

Indeed, every great once in awhile I do have a small hang up. The only one i tend to have a major problem with is when I have the MVA at the exit of the police station parking lot.

I'm getting so sick of this answer every time someone speaks of traffic issues. Leave the response to those who have worked around the issue to help those that it's really bothering. If it doesn't bother you, then fine, you don't have to redirect, but the issues most describe have a simple work around that would enable them to largely not have to worry as much when using the redirect function.

I personally, and I'm sure others would much prefer to get it working, so we can keep traffic flowing. In many locations if you have an incident, and don't redirect you can seriously inhibit the flow on other major roads which will impede other emergency vehicles from getting to and from the scene timely or put civilian vehicles in harms way (fire) and then you start a wonderful chain reaction of exploding cars and impede your ability to properly get to/deal with the next call.

THANK YOU! Glad to see im not the only one who is sick of this answer. The redirect command is vital for traffic flow at times and "not redirecting" simply isnt an option unless you want co cause a mess. Furthermore, in my mind this theory was already debunked because one time I had just started game. Dispatched bomb squad to the bomb on the far right side of the map. Set up bomb squad outside the blast area, and had Engine 7 staged just to be on the safe side. Engine 7 redirected very little traffic since its a low traffic area anyways. The redirected traffic followed a path all the way off the map.

Next up was the MVA behind the police station. LAPD is on scene almost immediately to redirect traffic, but traffic would not redirect. Some one please explain to me why vehicles that have never been redirected, can be the root of the problem when the vehicles that are now stuck were never redirected.

You could possibly argue that the vehicles exited the map, respawned and happen to be the ones im having trouble redirecting. If it werent for the fact the vehicles that fail to redirect are not the same model vehicles that were previously redirected, I might find that to be a possibility.

In closing, yes you cant redirect previously redirected vehicles, but the problem goes beyond that.

Guest madforce
Next up was the MVA behind the police station. LAPD is on scene almost immediately to redirect traffic, but traffic would not redirect. Some one please explain to me why vehicles that have never been redirected, can be the root of the problem when the vehicles that are now stuck were never redirected.

You could possibly argue that the vehicles exited the map, respawned and happen to be the ones im having trouble redirecting. If it werent for the fact the vehicles that fail to redirect are not the same model vehicles that were previously redirected, I might find that to be a possibility.

In closing, yes you cant redirect previously redirected vehicles, but the problem goes beyond that.

Hrm, Is it that they are 'pinned' so to speak between objects and the car can't find it's way out via AI? I've had a pedestrian pin a patrol car between a wall and a telephone pole and the ped wouldn't move so I had to send another unit to arrest him, just to get the unit out. lol

I haven't had a truly stuck car in awhile, and that accident doesn't stick out to me as a problem I've had...How close is the car to the wreckage? Is it possible a portion of the car is inside an accident? I'll keep an eye out for that one next time it comes around. There are a couple accidents I don't bother redirecting much cause I can get all units to the scene and out before the first victim arrives at the hospital.

Could someone tell me how to load the LA Mod map in the Editor, so I can try to fix the trafic problem by myself so I can redirect again? And please tell me how to edit the 'lines' which a car followes ingame.

If I can get it to work then I'll tell you guys what I did :)

Could someone tell me how to load the LA Mod map in the Editor, so I can try to fix the trafic problem by myself so I can redirect again? And please tell me how to edit the 'lines' which a car followes ingame.

If I can get it to work then I'll tell you guys what I did :)

Modifications --> load modification --> LA MOD

AFter it has loaded choose map --> load map --> freeplay.dds

Hrm, Is it that they are 'pinned' so to speak between objects and the car can't find it's way out via AI? I've had a pedestrian pin a patrol car between a wall and a telephone pole and the ped wouldn't move so I had to send another unit to arrest him, just to get the unit out. lol

I haven't had a truly stuck car in awhile, and that accident doesn't stick out to me as a problem I've had...How close is the car to the wreckage? Is it possible a portion of the car is inside an accident? I'll keep an eye out for that one next time it comes around. There are a couple accidents I don't bother redirecting much cause I can get all units to the scene and out before the first victim arrives at the hospital.

There not pinned. Theres a line of 3-8 vehicles depending on how quickly I get it cleaned up and the cars are not pinned because of a pedestrian or bird or anything like that. All vehicles that are backed up here refuse to be redirected weather I try the first vehicle,second,third,etc. Even once the wreckage is all clear they refuse to budge so I send an UMPC with 4 officers out, 2 with guns drawn and 2 with extinguishers. Say I blow up the third vehicle, and tow it off, the fourth vehicle is still not budding. The only way to redirect traffic here is to have an officer standing by where that street intersects the 4 lane avenue so that you can redirect vehicles before they get the turn completed.

Thats my only major traffic problem now. On occasion a patrol car gets stuck but usually the only one that gets stuck is at the intersection just south of the port on the downhill slope and once i move the patrol car out of the way everything fine. I can redirect traffic any where on the map with no problem. I even found if you position officers just right you can some times redirect only one lane of traffic.

Bug report: When i install a LA mod, i can play LA mod missions AND normal missions, but when i play that game 2nd time and more, i cant play LA mod missions..

I believe this was discussed in the first post. You should check the first post before reporting bugs.

I am currently working on some fixes, here a list:

- The second spot where you can put the boat to water will be fixed

- Unredirectable vehicles (that where not redirected yet) will be fixed

After playing over 3 hours in a row I noticed that traffic pileups happen:

- On some intersections missing a traffic light if there is already a pileup on that intersection because the cars will then all get stuck togheter

- Because stupid people walking along the road are just standing on the road

Guest altoproxima
I am currently working on some fixes, here a list:

- The second spot where you can put the boat to water will be fixed

- Unredirectable vehicles (that where not redirected yet) will be fixed

After playing over 3 hours in a row I noticed that traffic pileups happen:

- On some intersections missing a traffic light if there is already a pileup on that intersection because the cars will then all get stuck togheter

- Because stupid people walking along the road are just standing on the road

@Stan : I have placed new traffic lights on intersections that have problems (still a few more to check)

if you want I can send you the freeplay map I have adjusted.