Hoppah

Stolen car event does not work

Hi,

As most of you know I am working on a new freeplaymap for the LA Mod. The map is done, most events have been added. I only have one huge problem. The stolencar event does not work. What I did is this:

1. A parked car (without any assigned paths) with the name "stolencar".

2. Adding a path nearby with speed 7.5 and name "carthief01".

em4deluxe20090901210214.th.jpg

I tested for hours, with and without other events and the stolen car event DOES NOT happen. I even reverted to the old map to confirm there is nothing wrong with the xml file (fp_params_endless.xml), but the event works fine on the original freeplay map. This means there is probably something wrong with the map file (freeplay.e4m) of the new map. I just have no idea what's wrong. :(

Found a similar problem without solution on the German forum:

Autodiebstahl in der FP (Probleme) (in German)

I hope someone is able to help me, before I am gonna hurt myself. :(

Hoppah

Are you just playing it in freeplay, or is there another way to teat it that i don't know of? If you are just playing in free play, it might be that the event isn't being picked. i hardly ever get a stolen car event in V1.8, its a pritty rare event.

Yeah, freeplay. Tested it with ALL other events removed from the xml file. Also tested it with police events only because I had to test the new follow command. I think I have tested the map for about 20 hours the last few weeks and the event never happened.

The code in the fp_params_endless.xml file is the almost same as the one in the original file:

<!-- JH -->
<EFPEventCarTheft>
<Enabled value = "1" />
<!-- AverageFrequency: average number of events per 10 minutes -->
<AverageFrequency value = "40.0" />
<!-- MaxRadius: in meter (max. distance between committer and car) -->
<MaxRadius value = "75.0" />
<Worth value = "8.0" />
<SupervisorStart value = "ID_SUPERV_EVENT02" />
<SupervisorFinish value = "" />
</EFPEventCarTheft>

The average frequency is weird, but it's even higher in the original game files ("50.0"). Maybe it should be kept 50? But that wouldn't make sense. I am not sure what it exactly means either. An average of 40 or 50 stolencar events each 10 minutes? That almost matches real life LA. lol

Don't you have to tell the car to follow the path in the editor?

Nope, checked all freeplaymaps with working stolencar events and the cars have no assigned path or escape path. :(

Hoppah

You could try putting the frequency really low, like the shoplifting event which happens a lot.

Tried, did not work. Tried the values "1.0", "1.5" and "2.0". :(

Hoppah have you added right rifle intoo your stolen car?

post-4733-1251834086.jpg

Did not think of that one. Thanks for the tip. Check the prototypes of the 6 stolencars the map has so far, but they all have the rifle.

Have you added the event to freeplayparameters.xml?

Yes, that file is exactly the same as the original one. Just added the score things of the Deluxe events to the LA Mod version of that file.

why don't you compare the new map file with the old one, and find the difrence, then repare it, or are the files diffrent even if thats not the cause

There is no difference, as explained in my previous post I even copied the cars from the original maps to mine. Checked and compared the traits and settings as well. Even tried to rename the paths to "CarThief01" (with capital letters), because the Deluxe map uses capital letters in the names of the paths. The paths have similar names and settings (even the speed), as well as the cars. Maybe it's some stupid setting. :(

The screeny in your first post looks like the car has a path, so that might be it.

There is a difference between a nearby placed path and a path which is assigned to the car. In the editor, try to select a car, then press Properties, then Traits and you will find path settings. That's how you assign paths to cars which need to follow a path when you start freeplay, like normal traffic. The stolen cars do not have an assigned path, just a path which is nearby. When that event happens the game automatically assigns the closest path with the name 'carthiefxx' (xx might be 01 to 99) to that car.

The stolencar event in the normal map doesn't have a path nearby like the one shown in the screenshot.

Unless you checked a faulty map, ALL stolencars have a path with that name "carthiefxx" nearby. Just like EmC-Unit just showed you.

Have you tried telling it to go on a certain path or wouldn't that help?

Car starts moving as a normal civil car as soon you start the game.

I just might release v1.9 and see if someone else is able to found the problem. Maybe I just had VERY BAD LUCK.

That attitude will take you places. Anyway, as far as the topic goes I have no idea, could it be a conflict with certain features of the map?

If that would be the case I have no idea what and how.